Can-Am ATV Forum banner

New Outlander 1000 XT Owner

850 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Ice Can-Am
Hello All.... Just got a used 2021 Outlander 1000XT over the weekend. Replacing a 20+ year-old Polaris 330 Magnum who's engine finally gave up the ghost in the middle of plowing my driveway! Nice to see an active forum. I have to say the XT is... awesome, for lack of a better description. I'll be spending some quality time getting to know it and looking forward to racing the grandkids around the property.

Only issue I have seen so far is that about 5 minutes after it's been started and running, the idle starts swinging back and forth between 900rpm and 1100/1200 Rpm and it almost stalls. When Im riding it wide open or even just accelerating up to speed, no issues, hesitations or anything like that, fuel-flow is fine. Just when I go back to idling. I've seen a few forum conversations about other models doing this and a T-map sensor replacement fixed it. I can get one at a local store here , not very expensive but thought I'd check if anyone had other suggestions.

Also... where the heck is the T-map sensor located and do I need to do any programming or can I just disconnect the battery for a few and let it "re-learn" Tried looking up videos or articles but have found nothing, not even on Can-Am's site. Must be too new.

Thanks ahead of time for any and all suggestions
Reactions: SuperATV
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
8,222 Posts
Welcome to the site! I may be a little biased, but I think we've got one of the best ATV/UTV forums on the ole interweb right here

That said, start with the basics, on that idle hiccup. When's the last time you swapped in a fresh set of plugs? These hi-po motors don't respond well to short run-times, can foul plugs quicker than you'd expect. Gotta run 'em up to heat

I don't think it's your MAP/T sensor responsible for the issue. The IAC (Idle Air Control) valve would be the one I'd focus on. You can remove it and check for drag or sticking as it actuates, clean if need be, and reinstall without needing any special tools or programs. It's on your intake tract just below the air box. Download your free service manual and search the site here for all the particulars.

Reactions: CanAmRancher1

· Registered
2021 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome and the suggestions. The dealership I got this from couldnt answer when the last time plugs were replaced so I'll try that next and check the IAC valve. I found my operators manual on Can-Am's site but didnt see any service manual other than the one I can buy

· Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
8,222 Posts

Search bar is your friend ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Maddmaxx13
1 - 5 of 5 Posts