Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone with a outlander notice a whistle or high pitched whine around 30-35 mph (probally happens other speeds, but other noises overtakes it) that happens ONLY when the throttle is pressed?

It sounds like a bearing whine, but it wouldn't make sense that it doesn't do it all the time, could it be the CVT?

Registered
Oxford blue 2022 Outlander 850 XT
Anyone with a outlander notice a whistle or high pitched whine around 30-35 mph (probally happens other speeds, but other noises overtakes it) that happens ONLY when the throttle is pressed?

It sounds like a bearing whine, but it wouldn't make sense that it doesn't do it all the time, could it be the CVT?
Hard to say with little info !
They are "noisy " but a video would help to tell you if normal.
The CVT makes noises, clutches, the diffs, etc ..

What is normal or not is difficult without a video.
Welcome to the site and good machine !
馃槑

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hard to say with little info !
They are "noisy " but a video would help to tell you if normal.
The CVT makes noises, clutches, the diffs, etc ..

What is normal or not is difficult without a video.
Welcome to the site and good machine !
馃槑

I added a video, I didn't know how to actually put it in the post, it was rejecting it :unsure:

You can hear the high pitch noise somewhat, its hard with the wind on the phone.

Registered
2021 Outlander 850 max XT-P
I suspect you're hearing the straight cut gears in the gear box. Yup.....I hear a whine also. Thougt for sure the diff was empty or something. All the fluids are good so must be normal.

If we are talking about the same thing of course.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I suspect you're hearing the straight cut gears in the gear box. Yup.....I hear a whine also. Thougt for sure the diff was empty or something. All the fluids are good so must be normal.

If we are talking about the same thing of course.
That could be it! that's why it sounds like its under me and not in the front or back.

Do you hear it at a specific MPH over road and exhaust noise?

Why would it happen only on acceleration though? Aren't the gears always turning even when I let off throttle?

after watching some Youtube, it does sound like gear whine. I have never heard this before on anything other than sport bikes... that's insane, some race cars are super loud.

Registered
2021 Outlander 850 max XT-P
I believe it happens on mine at all speeds and like you mostly while accelerating.

My thoughts are that this is when the gears are under stress which causes that vibration which we perceive as a whine.

I believe it's normal.....time will tell

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe it happens on mine at all speeds and like you mostly while accelerating.

My thoughts are that this is when the gears are under stress which causes that vibration which we perceive as a whine.

I believe it's normal.....time will tell
Mine probably does as well, I can just hear it over road and engine noise at 30-35 which sucks because that's the speed I usually drive and it's the only noise that penetrates the helmet. It does it more when it's warm then cold, but that's probably because the fluid is thicker colder. I have been debating whether to take it to the dealer for 25 hour service and just mentioning it before my warranty is up to check the CVT and what not, ( I could do it, but I work out of town and don't like spending my weekends doing that) but I also don't want to pay the hundreds it will be.

Registered
2021 Outlander Max 450 DPS
My 450 definitely makes gear noise. Sometimes more noticeable than others.
The whine is loud, is normal and is the price to pay for the advantages of straight cut gears.
When the oil is cold it cushions the gear teeth more so there is less whine. But when the oil is warm and motor is pulling, oil layer between teeth will be thinner, and gears noisier.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To my ears that's gear noise. On my 450 the pitch is a bit higher though but your 570 would have different gearing.
I couldn't imagine a higher pitch lol

I ask because I posted this on the Can AM FB page, and they were saying its not normal, I think I am going to let the dealer do the first service even if I don't want them too, and check it all out before the warranty is up.

Did you extend your warranty or isn't it worth it?

Registered
Here is a better video, you can really hear it when I switch sides, is this what everyone hears?

Can am noise 2
Louder on my 800s. Changed the tranny fluid yesterday with minimal metal debris on the magnetic plug. The fluid looked good for the amount of torque transmitted to the wheels climbing and descending terrain. Minimal road travel with the machines. Maximum trail blazing over terrain. Wheels pulled and grease applied every trip after mud and debris cleaned from driveline components. The cleaning includes dropping the skid plates.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Louder on my 800s. Changed the tranny fluid yesterday with minimal metal debris on the magnetic plug. The fluid looked good for the amount of torque transmitted to the wheels climbing and descending terrain. Minimal road travel with the machines. Maximum trail blazing over terrain. Wheels pulled and grease applied every trip after mud and debris cleaned from driveline components. The cleaning includes dropping the skid plates.

Thats insane, I couldn't imagine it being louder, I would have to hear it... its the only thing I hear with my helmet on, unless its just me worrying, I heard the cvt clunk as well, now I ignore it.

I changed the gearbox oil at 10 hours, it was really clean, the back diff though was dark and looked like silver paint, I flushed it and filled it, its clean so far. So Idk what that was.

Registered
Thats insane, I couldn't imagine it being louder, I would have to hear it... its the only thing I hear with my helmet on, unless its just me worrying, I heard the cvt clunk as well, now I ignore it.

I changed the gearbox oil at 10 hours, it was really clean, the back diff though was dark and looked like silver paint, I flushed it and filled it, its clean so far. So Idk what that was.
Being off road is a benefit. No helmet. The "Man" sits in his truck and if the trail looks tough or rough he moves on to smoother pastures. Us "Kids" enjoy the play ground. Haha

1 - 18 of 18 Posts