Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I just purchased my first can-am bike and have some questions. I came from a king quad 750, some things are very different, and I have some questions on things I've found on my first few rides. It is a 2012 outlander 1000 XT. Firstly I find when I stop and then go, it seems to clunk as the power is transmitted, then it moves. Same goes for if I stop, and switch it into a different gear, then go to take off I hear the same clunk as it starts to move. Is this normal? and what could it be?

Also, when loading my quad into the back of my truck, I notice if I get the bike on the ramps, if in high gear and I try to accelerate up the ramps very slowly, it feels like it is shimmying up the ramps, almost like it surging. So I backed down and tried it in low, it still does it, but not as bad as when it is in high. I also have the same issues when slow technical riding.

This bike was meticulously maintained and taken to the dealer for everything. It honestly looks like it just came off of the showroom floor.

This bike is definitely a powerhouse compared to my king quad, and a blast to ride.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
45 Posts
it is the Can Am clutch. I have the same problem with my Commander 1000 and am going to upgrade to a QSC primary. Same with my Outlander 650, but not quote as noticeable as on the 1000. There are a ton of discussions regarding exactly what you are talking about on this forum. I am new to this forum, but the poor clutch on the Can AMs is one of the first things i learned about on this forum.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am also new to can am and have also noticed the noisy clutch,I plan on going to an aftermarket clutch. Not to hijack your thread but I also notice clunking when I hit bumps. Not every time but more than not and I can feel it in my feet when it happens it don't sound healthy. My dealer says nothing's wrong but my wife and I are like this can't be right. Have you noticed this? Can anyone else chime in on this?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Clunk is a normal noise . It's aggravating ,but won't hurt anything .

Shimmy ? Check your belt for a flat-spot & use low when loading into the pickup .

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Clunk is a normal noise . It's aggravating ,but won't hurt anything .

Shimmy ? Check your belt for a flat-spot & use low when loading into the pickup .
x2

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I am also new to can am and have also noticed the noisy clutch,I plan on going to an aftermarket clutch. Not to hijack your thread but

I also notice clunking when I hit bumps.

Not every time but more than not and I can feel it in my feet when it happens it don't sound healthy. My dealer says nothing's wrong but my wife and I are like this can't be right. Have you noticed this? Can anyone else chime in on this?
May not be the clutch, the sway bar bushing are also known to cause a clunking noise on bumps or cornering. Two things that can cause problems are premature wear of the bushing(s) and/or loose bushing mounting bolts.

They have grease zerks but the grease does not flow well around the bushing. I jack my bike up prior to greasing but it doesn't help much with the sway arm bushings. probably have to loosen the bolts before adding grease but that would require changing the lock nuts every few times to maintain the torque on the bolts.

Garage products has an aftermarket one available now that is much better.

·
Registered
465 Posts
my bike has had this clunk from new. I too find it annoying, as I have come from kawi and honda bike which make no noises. This bike is full of little clicks and clunks and squeaks. I just hammer the gas and I suddenly don't care if it squeaks a little.:aniwheeler6:

·
Registered
194 Posts
As for the clunking sound it's the design of the clutch.The one way bearing which makes the engine braking possible has two pins that slide in v shape slots and when you give gas the pins keep the bearing from spinning on the shaft and that is what you hear.It's normal for the can am clutches.As for the surging check your belt or try another one to see if there is a difference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts