Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm a new can am owner I have a few questions, I recently bought my 07 outlander 400 ho had it for a few weeks now ran fine and still dose just one problem, theres a ticking noise some people are saying adjust the valves and others are saying pistons I had it to a mechanic and the guy had didnt no his head from his ass, would just like to no what a few of you guys think it would be or have any ideas anything oh and it started after I got my oil changed to, but just lemme know will be much appreciated, thanks to all

·
Premium Member
2020 Can Am Outlander XMR 1000r Max
182 Posts
Being that old and probably a couple thousand miles, I would predict the valve lash needs adjusting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome .
It can't hurt to do a valve adjustment .
The ticking could be the primary also .
These are noisy bikes .
The trick is to know what's "normal" and what's not .
Yeh that's what everyone is sayin, but it sounds like it's coming from the front head its deff not the clutch I was thinking that also I'm just stumped ahaha I'm use to the old Hondas ffs I love the bike and all just the tick is so annoying not knowing what it is and no one is help around my area ahaha

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Being that old and probably a couple thousand miles, I would predict the valve lash needs adjusting.
Yeh there is just over 9k on it it ran perfectly fine then had it out last week for a few hour drive got it back home and been ticking sense, there oil in it and it was just changed with a new filter and stuff so I just have no idea

·
Premium Member
2020 Can Am Outlander XMR 1000r Max
182 Posts
Yeh there is just over 9k on it it ran perfectly fine then had it out last week for a few hour drive got it back home and been ticking sense, there oil in it and it was just changed with a new filter and stuff so I just have no idea
9K miles? Wow! Yep, Time for a valve lashing for sure! Simple to do but getting to the rockers involves a bit of disassembling of the machine to get access.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
9K miles? Wow! Yep, Time for a valve lashing for sure! Simple to do but getting to the rockers involves a bit of disassembling of the machine to get access.
I was watching videos on it and they all show a 14mm allan key to turn the engine but my bike has a pull start where the others just have the allan key slot, is that just behind the pull chord on the 07 400

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
2,287 Posts
Welcome to the site. Those are solid robust little motors/bikes, and just about anyone with basic tools/aptitude, can maintain 'em.

At that mileage, I'd want to get to the oil pump screen at the bottom of the crankcase, and clean it, asap. That's a little bit of a chore, but it's doable, and probably well overdue on your machine.

You can absolutely set the valve lash tolerance, the specs are on the label under the seat, as well as re-tension the timing chain guide spring, and see what that does for the ticking. Just about all of us run the Shell/Rotella 5w/40 "diesel" engine oil, fwiw, and that works very well for the conditions these motors operate in. Not sure if perhaps you changed the oil and went with a super thin 5w30 or the like.

Reactions: Jungleman

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Search engine decompressor/ centrifugal weight/timing gear thingy etc......
My valves were well within spec, but low miles.
Always a good idea to check them anyways

Was the ticking noise on my 07 400.

....and the ticking noise it makes is the same as a time bomb....
Just fyi

Yank that thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts