Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a new set of pads on and after the first ride they are shot. What could possibly have gone wrong?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
you put stock BRP pads on?

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
That's very odd. Will be keeping an eye on this thread.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I bought them on June 16 from Race Driven. I'll be calling them in the morning to try and figure out what could have happened here. By no means am I saying anything negative about the pads. Something obviously went wrong here. Now thinking about it I wonder if the dealership didn't top off my break fluid when they had it last week. I replaced the pads after that and if there was too much fluid it could have eaten the pads.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Was going to order a set tomorrow...now? Dont know...

·
Registered
118 Posts
I bought them on June 16 from Race Driven. I'll be calling them in the morning to try and figure out what could have happened here. By no means am I saying anything negative about the pads. Something obviously went wrong here. Now thinking about it I wonder if the dealership didn't top off my break fluid when they had it last week. I replaced the pads after that and if there was too much fluid it could have eaten the pads.
I know what your tryin to say here. But I dont think that too much fluid was the problem. Im thinkin something stuck to cause the pads to drag and wear out quicker???

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What could hang up though to eat up all three wheels?

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I bought a full front and rear set-up of Race Driven pads for my 2012 Outlander XT 1000 back a few months ago, replacing my stock pads with 242 miles on them and they were wore out to the backing plates of pads. No issue(s) with the race driven ones since I've put them on. :) Ok, I've not gone a lot with them actually, 25 miles, still like new though.

I am with the theory that something is sticking on bike causing them to wear pre-maturely.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I have around 2100 miles on a set of race driven and they are just about ready to be replaced in the next couple of months so I will easily get 2500 miles out of the pads. I will be going with them again. If yours are wore down to nothing after one ride something went seriously wrong.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm going to start my investigation with the reservoir because I've noticed a bit of discoloration like someone spilled brake fluid when they were pouring it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
How long was the ride? You should have noticed a large lack of power if they wore down that much.

Did you by any chance re-install your worn out pads? :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was at a private mud pit so all total was about 3-4 miles. Race Driven has gone above and beyond to assure my satisfaction in their product. They have customer service like I haven't seen in years.

·
Registered
800 Posts
After reading this post I check my Race Driven pads that have 1400 miles on them and looks like I still have about half of the pads. What I also noticed was my rotors needed attention. So I evenly scuffed them up with 120 sand paper. Its just like your new brakes you put on your vehicle, you need to do a brake adjustment about 6 to 8 months down the road and you will get a longer life out of your brakes. Maybe sooner for ATVs because of the mud you might in counter. If you have a air compressor plow out that dirt around brake pads, I believe trapped mud is a great way to wear out brakes pre-mature.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Decided to order some race driven today...agreed with customer service. They were very nice.....any issues in changing brake pads? Unbolt and bolt back new pads on calipers? That easy?

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Decided to order some race driven today...agreed with customer service. They were very nice.....any issues in changing brake pads? Unbolt and bolt back new pads on calipers? That easy?
Yes that easy, pushing caliper piston back in was also easy. :th_smiliethumbsup:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Changing into the pads on these things is a breeze. After every ride my machine gets taken apart and cleaned top to bottom with great detail. I've been riding for close to 25 years and learned a long time ago how important keeping your brakes clean is, that's how I found that they are toast. When the pads and rotors get here it'll be getting a complete once over to check the brakes out and see if I can figure out what happened.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
KCodd, its not the pads.....its the environment. I dont mud ride now, but used to. Our group tried every kind of pad out there from OEM to EBC, race driven, etc., and the best bang for the buck by far are the race driven.

But when you ride in mud and sand.......you will wear out pads WITHOUT using the brakes!!! I been there.....many times!! Something about water/mud/sand just eats them up, and I too have lost an entire set on 1 ride!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It sucks that it's the case but I also think they topped off my break fluid and took up any available space for the pucks to retract.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts