Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all just got my new wheels and ties and man am I excited. Now those of you that have been helping me out on this fun path of choosing new tires I really appreciate it. A little back ground to try and help some of y'all looking for tires like I was. Now I bout this 2012 1k back last august and it had 26 skinny wide Duro Power Grips on the XXC beadlocks. While a good looking and performing combo the look just wasn't for me. So I set out looking for the Sasquatch of tires. The light, large, mud eating, trail shredding tire. Many suggested the famous and highly loved zilla along with mega mayhems. Not great tires but not sure they were for me. Then I looked at terminators. Probably the beat looking ATV tire IMO on the market today but very heavy and don't handle speed. So a no go. Then came the outlaw radial. Again nice looking and performing tire but heavy and expensive! So I kept looking. Then a set of skinny wide 27 inch Zillas popped up close that would fit my beadlocks so I snagged them up. Put them on and let's just say the look was amazingly disappointing. I believe a lot of this was due to the 12 inch wheels. They created a ballooning effect especially in the rear. Now I know what a lot of your are thinking who cares if they perform but o bought my renegade for 3 main reasons. 1 the power 2 the speed and 3 the looks. So sacrificing one was really not an option to me. Now with that said I am contemplating a pure mud tire for my 12s for those rides where they are needed but remember this is only a tire that will be on for short periods not the main set I have.

Attachments

Reactions: jfree1000outty

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok now with all that said onto the new ones. After the zilla fail I went back to the drawing board realizing that a flat tread pattern and the 14 inch wheel ment more to me then I thought. So I began to check out radials. My brother runs mudlight xtrs on his grizzly and I was very impressed with those but they were a bit on the expensive side. Then I came accros the Bear Claw HTR. Nothing but good reviews and lots of videos of them doing great in almost any situation even beating the infamous big horns in lots of terrain. (I'm not a big horn fan) so it just seemed right that these tires were the way to go. Plus they were a good bit cheaper(almost 200 dollars with the combo I bought though the xtrs were 27s) then extra. Now don't mistake me the xtrs are an amazing tire and if not for the fact I'm wanting to build my truck and pinching Penny's is the key right now I probably would have bought them and hey I like to be different too. So then I needed to choose wheels. I was fairly set on MSA Kore wheels for a long time but then I saw the brand new ITP Hurricane and just had to have it. Plus it was also cheaper then the Kore combo by 70 bucks so I was sold. Now enough talk time for the photos!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
First time I've seen those rims...Looks good!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
nice! been eye balling the htr's myself. seem like a great trail tire

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys! Yeah there a pretty new wheel Ive only been able to find picks of them on a Polaris sportsman so figured I'd have to try them. And yeah I'm very excited to try these tires they are way more aggressive looking in real life then in the pics very strong feeling too

·
Registered
201 Posts
This is the first design in ITPs new storm series wheels, and they hit a homerun in my opinion. They are one of my favorite wheels right now, really looks good on your ride!!

ITP is coming out with this in 14x7 with 6+1 offset for us popo guys...I already have the HTRs, just waiting on them to drop the rims. The HTRs are great at just about everything except soft sand, they tend to dig...but really, what tire doesn't dig in sand besides paddles?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah there a great looking rim. I like the deeper dish that's why I went with them over the MSA Kore's. And thanks for the compliment you deffinatly won't be disappointed with these wheels. Good to hear another positive review. I was a little worried about them in the mid but seen a 800 gade running them and out mudding guys with the same size big horns so figured I was set. Can't wait till easter gets here and I can taken out for a good long ride

Reactions: marinen23

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
nice choices, I seen the rims advertized somewhere last month, really like them.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I never had nor seen anyone with the zilla's, guess either love 'em or hate em. I have a set of mayhems and love them, go thru mud like nothing, and look awesome as well. Always gets compliments on them, even at the mud bogs. Not great at hi speed, maybe a balance would help....I also have the HTRs, only have bout a mile on them so far if that. I feel the mayhems do better in deep snow. But now that the snow is packing down lil bit, gonna swap them on and go for a ride and see how they do. I was looking at wheels for what seemed like forever, and went with ITP cause they were the only one that had different widths front/rear. I got 14s as well, 212s in black.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I like it a lot. I'm in the market for wheels and tires. I really like the Moto MTC's but now I saw them I might be changing my mind. Are you running spacers or are they a negative offset rim like a 2+5 or something? The front tires stick way out?? I love the wide stance look but you get mud all over you. What size are the front tires ? I can see what the back is in the pic.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nope no spacer the rims have a nice offset to put them out like that not sure the exact measurements each way though. They are 26x9 up front. I was going to get 28s for the ground clearance but read that they measure true or at least very close and I'm very glad I went 26 the picture of them next to the Zillas those are 27 inch Zillas both off the quad. They also are larger then the 26inch power grips I have too. I too considered the moto MTC but they are heavy and heard a lot of people complaining of the stiff ride and a few saying high speed had some wobble so I opted for the flatter radial design of these htrs. There's no doubt I'll be plastered in mud with the stance of these things but the look of them far outweighs and worry's there lol. And glad to see your liking you mega mayhems they look like a great tire for sure and might end up with a set some time to mess with

·
Registered
153 Posts
Nope no spacer the rims have a nice offset to put them out like that not sure the exact measurements each way though. They are 26x9 up front. I was going to get 28s for the ground clearance but read that they measure true or at least very close and I'm very glad I went 26 the picture of them next to the Zillas those are 27 inch Zillas both off the quad. They also are larger then the 26inch power grips I have too. I too considered the moto MTC but they are heavy and heard a lot of people complaining of the stiff ride and a few saying high speed had some wobble so I opted for the flatter radial design of these htrs. There's no doubt I'll be plastered in mud with the stance of these things but the look of them far outweighs and worry's there lol. And glad to see your liking you mega mayhems they look like a great tire for sure and might end up with a set some time to mess with
They must be 2+5 offset. Looks great man. Nice setup

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I checked out those wheels on google. I like the look of the 15" and 14" but the 12" have the crossing too small and don't look as good. Yours do look really wide!

The nice thing about the HTRs is you can let almost all the air out and get a lot more float and traction in the snow without losing a bead. They have a tough sidewall. I bet it would work in light mud also.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Really nice setup man! Thanks for sharing with PICS!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yup according to the eBay add they are 5+2 and thanks I lovem and just can't wait to ride on them

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah I haven't checked the psi on them yet was to excited to get them on lol I plan to run around 4psi as that's where everyone seems to like them. And I agree on the 12s there pretty ugly lol. Thanks y'all for the compliments. I really wanted to get pics up just cause like I said in my searching all I could find was 1 rzr and 1 sportsman and I know with the cost of this stuff these days people would like a reference before purchase

1 - 20 of 37 Posts