Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up my wifes new XMR tomorrow morning. While I was talking to the parts guy I asked about a more hybrid type of tire as she likes to trail ride just a little more than mud. He suggested four 28x11.50 ITP Blackwater on STI rims. The price is $1050 plus tax so about $1155 OTD.

My questions:

1) How do the stock tires perform all around riding? Will they be ok for trail as well as the soft stuff? My wife is 47 so she isn't as tough as she thinks she is, used to be, whatever…

2) How good are the Blackwater tires? How good are the rims? Is there a better choice?

3) How does the price sound?

4) What do I do with the old (new) tires?

First post, looking forward to learning a lot, thanks!

Jim

·
Registered
92 Posts
I do a lot of trail riding too and I bought a set of 30" roctanes on itp ss wheels for trail riding. Got them from rockymountainatv.com. Paid under $900. I really like the tires too.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yea i wouldnt recomend trail riding with the silverbacks. I dont have an issue with them because im mostly in the mud but the levee i ride to get to my mud spot is hard pack and occasonial loose rock and the backs dont have much traction on loose rock, i almost slid off the side of the imbankment into the canal.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I am picking up my wifes new XMR tomorrow morning. While I was talking to the parts guy I asked about a more hybrid type of tire as she likes to trail ride just a little more than mud. He suggested four 28x11.50 ITP Blackwater on STI rims. The price is $1050 plus tax so about $1155 OTD.

My questions:

1) How do the stock tires perform all around riding? Will they be ok for trail as well as the soft stuff? My wife is 47 so she isn't as tough as she thinks she is, used to be, whatever…

2) How good are the Blackwater tires? How good are the rims? Is there a better choice?

3) How does the price sound?

4) What do I do with the old (new) tires?

First post, looking forward to learning a lot, thanks!

Jim
how much do u want for the takeoffs

·
Registered
430 Posts
That price is extremely high, especially for 28's.

The best thing to do with the takeoffs is sell them, though silverbacks are less popular than outlaw you won't get much for them. I spent over two weeks trying to sell my new rims/tires that came off my 15 xmr for $650. I finally sold them for 600 just to get rid of them as they were just taking up space.

STI Roctane - Wild Boar ATV Parts | Your source for ATV Parts, ATV Tires, ATV Wheels, ATV Radiator Relocation Kits, Axles, Snorkels and more

Those roctanes are good for trail riding, plus you can get 28's for 880 or 30's(which I would for the taller tire for 900). That's also free shipping and no tax.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Another good hybrid tire would be the ITP mega mayhems i ran 27's on my brute and they worked great in most mud situations and road smooth on hard pack along with asphalt. I paid 550 for my set otd and mounted. Also you can get them in a 14in so if you like the wheels you have you can save money that way.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The wheels are fine, they just get covered with mud anyway. I saw some Roctanes the other day. I will have to look them over. I appreciate the advice. I pick it up in a a couple of hours for her.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I think the silverbacks did very well on trails. But I had nothing to compare it to. IMHO they did just fine.

Switched to Outback Max (bigger) and they are even better.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I trail ride mine 99% of the time with a little mud here and there, nothing major and I think do ride fine....I'm not, running 30 or 40 over the trails either though....I ride 10-15 mph at most....Why not try them first, then decide, that way you could save your money if you like them....

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I was talking to my wife last night and was ever so politely told in no uncertain terms this was HER ride… She wants me to leave with changing out the tires until she lets me know when I can do that. Picked it up today but she isn't home to even see it till tomorrow! She had me order the 2up seat assembly and the big trunk. She has to have somewhere to put her "stuff" she said. Oh, and the thumb buddy cause she can't reach the thumb throttle easily and it gives her hand a cramp after an hour or so...

This thing is a beast! The photo isn't all that great but that is an XP1000 behind it lifted up about 2" on garage rollers. The XMR makes the XP look like a training bike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts