Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, I received an e-mail from the NY / NJ Trail Conference explaining that there's a requirement in the 2016-2017 budget bill directing the NYS DEC (Department of Environmental Conservation) to come up with rules and regulations for ATV use "with a view towards achieving maximum use of ATVs".

Well, the Trail Conference is adamantly opposed to this and has sent out quite the "alarmist" e-mail to get people to oppose it.

While I'm generally in favor of activities that the NY / NJ Trail Conference undertakes (they do a nice job making and maintaining trails in the region), I think they are way off base here. There's absolutely a place for ATV's to be legally operated in NY, even if the ATV trails do not interesect with existing hiking trails. Not to mention that NYS has mandated that all ATV's be registered ($) and those collected fees (millions!) have been diverted from the intended use of creating riding space.

Here's the text of the alarmist message:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We Need Your Help! Tell Albany Today:
NO ATV Bill in the Budget!

Please let the Assembly, the Senate and Governor Cuomo know you don't want ATVs on state lands! The New York State Senate version of the 2016-17 State Budget includes language which would allow state agencies to open state lands to ATV use.

You Can Help Keep Damaging ATVs Off State Lands by sending a Letter to NY Legislative Leaders and Governor Cuomo (sample below)!

ATVs have an unprecedented potential for causing irreversible harm to the environment. Opening ATV access to state lands ensures such damage will ruin some of New York State's most scenic and economically valuable land, including 786,000 acres of State Forests. These lands host some of New York's most popular hiking trails such as the Long Path, North Country National Scenic Trail, the Finger Lakes Trail, and the Appalachian Trail.

In 2011 the Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) released the results of their assessment of the viability for ATV use on State Forests. They concluded that there was no place for ATVs on state land due to their destructive potential and the agency's inability to properly regulate and enforce them with current resources. DEC also determined that a riding area of less than forty miles of trail would result in illegal use of surrounding terrain. Now, this new legislation would ask DEC to come up with rules and regulations for ATV use "with a view towards achieving maximum use of ATVs" when DEC has already made a determination that there is no capacity for ATV use on DEC managed lands. In addition, this legislation would increase the allowable weight for what is legally defined as an ATV, opening these areas up to larger and more destructive vehicles.

The Senate version of the 2016-17 NY State Budget would also allow children as young as 12 to drive ATVs on roads at 55 mph! ATVs are not designed to be used on hardened road surfaces!

Let Your Voice Be Heard by Submitting a Letter Objecting to this Poorly Designed Legislation!

Sample letter for you to write to the Assembly, Senate and the Governor:

Subject: No ATVs on New York State Public Land! Remove ATV Language from Budget!

The New York State Senate 2016-17 Budget Bill (S6408-B Part QQ) includes language that would allow state agencies to open state lands to ATV use. Our state public lands are no place for ATVs! This bill language will roll back existing protections and must be removed from the budget!

ATVs have an unprecedented potential for causing irreversible harm to the environment. Opening ATV access to state lands ensures such damage could ruin some of New York State's most scenic and economically valuable land. Including lands that host some of New York's most popular hiking trails such as the North Country National Scenic Trail, the Finger Lakes Trail, and the Appalachian Trail.

In 2011 the Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) released the results of their assessment of the viability for ATV use on NY State Land. They concluded that there was no place for ATVs on state land due to their destructive potential and the agency's inability to properly regulate and enforce their use with current resources. This new legislation directs DEC to come up with rules and regulations for ATV use "with a view towards achieving maximum use of ATVs" when DEC has already made a determination that there is no capacity for ATV use on DEC managed lands. In addition, this legislation would increase the allowable weight for what is legally defined an ATV, opening state land areas up to larger and more destructive vehicles.

The Senate version of the NY State Budget Bill also would allow children as young as 12 years old to drive ATVs at 55 mph on roads! ATVs are not designed to be used on hardened road surfaces.

This bill language is a disaster for public safety and the natural heritage of the state!

Contact Governor Cuomo
https://www.governor.ny.gov/contact

Contact Assembly Speaker Heastie
[email protected]

Contact Senate President Flanagan
[email protected]

THANK YOU!

And thank you to our friends at the Adirondack Mountain Club who have been helping to lead the effort to fight this proposal.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have sent letters to the named elected officials SUPPORTING ATV use.

Here's what I wrote to them:

Joey_Dude said:
New York State Senate 2016-17 Budget Bill (S6408-B Part QQ) includes language that would allow state agencies to open state lands to ATV use.

I support the use of ATV's.

ATV use is endorsed by most other states and in certain areas, ATV use is a popular tourism attraction. ATV use also has the potential to be a revenue source for NY State and Local Municipalities. And let's not forget that ATV owners have been paying registration fees on their vehicles for decades with zero return in legal places to ride on state property.

While ATV users have been broadly painted as destroyers of the environment, that is largely not the case. Most ATV users are active outdoors enthusiasts that spend tens of thousands of dollars acquiring, maintaining and travelling with their equipment. The last thing they want to do is damage their equipment or the environment through abuse.

Thank you for your time.
If you support ATV use in NY, I STRONGLY URGE YOU to write our elected representatives. You'd be surprised how much a letter counts towards swaying their opinions.

Best regards!

-Joey

Reactions: STiTCHES

·
Registered
19 Posts
I totally agree. I am a builder on Staten Island and have a good relationship with Senator Andrew Lanza. I plan on speaking with him about it

·
Registered
214 Posts
I like how the they throw in " to achieving maximum use of ATVs " .
We have / had similar issues up here in the north. While our govt structures differ , im sure there end game at times is similar. A lot of us in the ATV community drool at the thought of having some trail systems managed like some US states do. We are continually fighting to keep what they haven't already taken from us and are just now seeing a possibility of our provincial gov't coming in favour of some changes for the better.
Start your writing campaign now and spread the word , it will go a long way to helping continue the enjoyment of our sport for years to come.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
372 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Thanks STiTCHES, Letter sent.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is this the same bill your talking about?
NYSORVA
Nope, it's different.

Your link is a request to the Governor. The info I posted is actual legislation.

It doesn't hurt to do both!

-Joey

·
Registered
372 Posts
Is this the same bill your talking about?
NYSORVA
Nope, it's different.

Your link is a request to the Governor. The info I posted is actual legislation.

It doesn't hurt to do both!

-Joey
Ok thanks. Here the letter they use if anyone want to cut and paste it.

Establish New York State ATV Trail Maintenance and Development Program and Fund

To whom it may concern:
I am an avid ATV rider and lover of the outdoors. Proposals to develop and fund an ATV trail system to support and encourage trail riding in New York have been considered for years, but nothing has been successfully passed by the Legislature. A well-funded ATV trail system will keep my friends and family members riding here in New York and will also attract new riders and tourists to our communities. This will generate business for local restaurants, hotels, gas stations, dealerships and other small businesses - and that increased activity will create a new source of tax revenue, strengthening our local communities’ economic health. For many years the snowmobile community has benefitted from a designated trail system that has kept New York tourism dollars in New York and brought thousands of enthusiasts to the Empire State. New York should follow that successful example to promote the growth of ATV recreational use and the greater tourism and spending to Upstate New York that would come with it. Trail riding is a pastime that I enjoy, but I am discouraged by the limited number of trails that are available today. Limited opportunities to ride and the lack of funds to maintain existing trails lead to trails that may not be safe or that put ATV riders in conflict with other users, such as hikers and snowmobilers, among others. A robust and dedicated trail system will also help protect the environment, by ensuring trails are developed on suitable lands and avoiding sensitive ecological areas. Other states such as New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and West Virginia have extensive trail systems and attract thousands of visitors each year. These trail systems provide substantial revenues to support local economies that have suffered years of lost jobs and opportunities, similar to most of Upstate New York. I urge New York State to follow their examples and to once and for all pass an ATV trail fund bill that will encourage this important critical recreational activity.
Sincerely,

·
Registered
103 Posts
�� will do. On a side note NEW YORK SUCKS. Thus the reason all my trailers are registered in New Hampshire and I bought the quad out of state. All they care about is revenue. I'll write the letter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts