Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone. just joined the group. ive been a polaris guy for years and now ive trade up to my 1st outty. so its a 08 800xt with 28 zillas . this weekend I was out with the wife and hit some snow. played for about 10 mins chewing up the spring snow. then headed down the road and it seemed like I was running out of gas. if I gave it any more then 1/2 throttle it would die out. (like running out of gas) we were heading down hill and the longer I went the worse it got. it felt hot on my legs for a light rainy day. so I thought it was maybe getting hot.(no lights flashing) after a long down hill it was really bad. so we stopped for about 5 mins.(I did notice the fan wasn't running) sat for the 5 mins fired right up and ripped fine. rode about 10 mins back to camp. ran fine and when I got back the fan was running. this happen a few times over the weekend. not sure if it a heat problem or fuel? anyone had this happen? any help?

·
Registered
815 Posts
Welcome. The Can Am does give off more heat than a Polaris. As for the running issue? Maybe snow in the air box ?{It has happened to me} . Check your fuel pressure, Pump may be week. Usually if they are over heating, there will be codes flashing on the dash.

·
Registered
203 Posts
also check your spark plugs. You may have gotten water in a boot. It is good to RTV around the wire where it goes into the boot and put some dielectric grease or vasoline in each boot to keep the water out.

·
Premium Member
18,462 Posts
Easy way to check your fan. Sounds like the fuel pump is weak.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Big dawg please tell me how your outlaw tires work on the trails. I am so debating getting some but theres no info out there with people having to use them on the trails. I want 28's also. I only ride in mud when I have to but do trails mostly.

You may have got snow in your intake, and when you let it sit it melted. All it takes is a little laying in the throttle body to mess it up. Check the post on wrapping your exhaust and a fan mod so it runs cooler.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Replace fuel pump

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys. I was 1st thinking fuel pump.. but every pump ive ever had just dies. never had one that works but don't put out full pressure when it gets hot. I don't think it was water or snow because it did it every time it got warm after this(even the next day) as fore the zillas.. this thing is a full on tractor. love it. I have a set of 26 mud lights that I will run as summer comes. if it drys out I cant see the zillas doing anything but ripping them up. they are made for mud and soft stuff. so I will save them for just that.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thanks You, There probably the tire I will get for one of my machines then.
Probably a fuel pump problem then. There known for it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts