Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,Couldnt see where to post so i thought i would start here and hope someone moves it to the correct place :)

OK.....

I last week brought a 2007 outlander xt, 1700 k someone has fitted a after market exhaust apart from that i THINK its standard.

worked great till yesterday it broke down in the middle of no where,a very long tow home :(

First went to turn it back on after a beer break and no dash lights/wouldnt start,just made a buzzing noise.
Left it for a few minutes tried it again and it all worked fine.
Half hour later few clicks down the trail just cut out,tried swopping the battery from my friends bike,no such luck so its not a power problem.When i turned the key sometimes the dash lights flicker,some times not and the bottom right relay would buzz,i swopped it for the top right relay in the fuse box and that one does the same.When i press the rear break if the lights were on they go off.

So i guess i will check all conections etc after its had a wash today for tight fittings and corrosion free,Has anyone else had a simular problem?

What else could it be? ive heard horror storys of the ecu's on these things going tits up and costing over 1000 bucks ! :(

Another thought,i notice for some can ams they do a exhaust and ecu kit on ebay,maybe mine has one of them and thst whats gone wrong,anyone know where the ecu is so i can check for aftermarket stickers etc?

Any advise would be helpful,and i promise to let the forum no the outcome for future refrence :)
Thanks in Advance
Frank,English man now living near Calgary AB

·
Registered
859 Posts
Go to the back of the bike, kneel down, you'll see the battery - on top of that battery is two battery cables with bolts thru them.. CLEAN & TIGHTEN THEM. lol

I'll bet a $20 that's your problem.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Go to the back of the bike, kneel down, you'll see the battery - on top of that battery is two battery cables with bolts thru them.. CLEAN & TIGHTEN THEM. lol

I'll bet a $20 that's your problem.
Thanks for that i will pm you my address so you can send the $20 :) its fixed now anyway, there is a small fuse holder holding 2 30 amp fuses nr the battery,it was full of mud and one was blown,if i had know it was there on the trail it would have been a easy fix! on the bright side its not cost 100's
As i said before its a new bike to me and it seems there should be some kind of trim or cover that covers that area that i might have missing,anyone have a picture of the under side of there right hand fender battery area by any chance? :)

·
Premium Member
18,462 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Glad it was an easy fix. Being broke sucks, especially when you just bought a new to you ride. My bike has a plastic cover that attaches just in front of the VR and covers wires and etc.. over to the back side of the gas tank. Not sure if it is on the 07's but maybe someone can chime in.

Reactions: ebsta

·
Registered
859 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Glad it was an easy fix. Being broke sucks, especially when you just bought a new to you ride. My bike has a plastic cover that attaches just in front of the VR and covers wires and etc.. over to the back side of the gas tank. Not sure if it is on the 07's but maybe someone can chime in.
That cover was added in '08 along with the new schnazzy tail light and fascia... I've added both to my '07.

Depending on the consitency of mud.. if sloppy enough, it's gonna get everywhere... no matter what ya do.

an address to get ya $20???...let me think about that. lol

Edit... I thought about it... turns out I did't specify what currency that $20 would be... Monopoly money ok?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That cover was added in '08 along with the new schnazzy tail light and fascia... I've added both to my '07.

Depending on the consitency of mud.. if sloppy enough, it's gonna get everywhere... no matter what ya do.

an address to get ya $20???...let me think about that. lol

Edit... I thought about it... turns out I did't specify what currency that $20 would be... Monopoly money ok?
How about you keep your Monopoly money for giving such a wise tip of "CLEAN & TIGHTEN" my battery cables,cos i would have scratched my head for hours with that one ;)
People like you make this world a better place :th_smilieyourock:

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
The "clean and tighten" advice works 80% of the time....those two fuses you found being full of mud and/or blown works 19.9% of the time....it's pretty rare it's something else for the problem you described....happens fairly often. LOL.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The "clean and tighten" advice works 80% of the time....those two fuses you found being full of mud and/or blown works 19.9% of the time....it's pretty rare it's something else for the problem you described....happens fairly often. LOL.

whats the other .1%:th_smiliefrustrated

·
Registered
492 Posts
The other 1% is the guys that forget they switched the kill switch to off and cant figure out why when they turn the key they have no power!

·
Registered
882 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts