Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new Traxter owner here with some questions. Recently bought a 2001 Traxter 500 from a retired farmer who only used it to spray pasture weeds and pull a tow-behind mower at his lake cabin. Odometer shows 225 miles but it has sat unused in a shed at the lake for a couple of years. He drained the old gas and put in new gas with a can of SeaFoam and soaked the carb with cleaner and managed to get it running. It starts and purrs like a kitten with the choke pulled but even after warming up it won't idle without the choke being out about 25%. It's a little hard to shift but I'm assuming that's because it's idling too fast. Seems to drive real nice that way and doesn't stumble but as soon as you push the choke in it idles way down and dies. Local Can-Am dealer shop said they know the problem and would be delighted to relieve me of $300 for a fix. Shop said the SeaFoam is a waste of money and won't help. Is this something I could fix or does the carb need to be taken apart to make it run right. Other than the idle the machine runs good and looks like new. Is there any other maintenance I should do right away? PO said he changed the oil and filter and air cleaner and put in a new battery. Even though it has low miles and looks good it's an old machine and I hope I didn't buy a money pit. One other thing I'm confused about is that it has a little button on the left handle bar that says 'Manual' but I read somewhere that if that button is set to 'Auto' it will shift automatically. The PO didn't mention that he just said put it in 'High' or 'Low' range and push the yellow 'shift ' button to shift up and down. Does this thing shift automatically when it's not set to 'Manual'? Thanks for any help or suggestions. I hope to get the machine home in the next couple of days after the PO is satisfied my check was good and I'll probably have more questions then.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Probably pilot jet is plugged. They are very small on a four stroke and will plug easily if left to sit.

Not sure on a traxter what is involed to get to carb.

Bowl has to come off to get to it.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,017 Posts
Welcome to the site, yeah, carb needs some in-depth hands-on attention, not sure how much luck you'll have removing those deposits with anything "out of a bottle"

But that's to be expected, sitting for as long as it did, or even just it's age, period. Carbs eventually need to be cleaned/rebuilt, nothing shocking there.

As far as what I know about the auto-shift feature, yeah, that's what it's supposed to do, automatically shift when not in manual. But those old electronics are finicky and rare to find still functioning as intended 20 years ago.

Reactions: Ponyroper

·
Registered
14 Posts
As mentioned the pilot jet is one of the smallest holes in the carburetor so the first to plug, it controls idle and low speed so this is probably why no idle without extra fuel (enrichener). I have used chevron techtron with good luck but not so much luck I would expect it to fix it if it is bad. You will usually be far better off removing the carburetor and cleaning but probably replacing the pilot jet. If it is your time you can clean them 90% of the time but a pilot jet is about $5 so replacing should be cheap,fast and easy where any restriction not removed or orifice size enlarged due to cleaning the brass can change fueling.

As a side note try and stay with the exact brand of jet that is used now so if a oem is Mikuni do not switch to a ebc mikuni "style" or factory,dynojet,shindy etc. any mixiing of brands of jets may also change fueling as a brand "X" jet is measured/made slightly differently. I have seen this many times on the dyno so it is provable fact. If on the flip side you have a brand "X" jet kit already stay with that same brand of jets to make your life simple. OEM mikuni or keihin jets have marks on them like proof marks on a firearm so you can tell if it is oem. I did install a chinese amazon replacement mikuni on a friends Yamaha wolverine last year and the jets were not only way off they were not even marked for size so it took a bunch of time to re-jet. the close was close enough I used mikuni jets so next time we know what size we have and what direction to go in.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
When an I.C.E. will only run with the choke on this is a classic sign that not enough fuel is being atomized .
Remove and thoroughly clean carb for a bike that age and go through the rest of the fuel ( and delivery ) system as well .
-Bonz

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guess I'll have to bite the bullet and pay the dealer to clean the carb. Just hope this isn't an annual cost of ownership. Wish I was a little more mechanically inclined so I could do this work myself but from past experience I know I usually end up with so many leftover parts that I could have an auction sale. I have watched a couple YouTube videos about cleaning and adjusting Traxter carbs but I'm still afraid I would damage or lose some parts.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,017 Posts
Yeesh, is that even an option? Hell you can swap an aftermarket carb onto it yourself, for less than the dealer would charge you to clean yours. Just saying, I'd absolutely change out a carb myself, before paying the dealer's rates, to clean yours.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,017 Posts
Ebay/Amazon

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was just looking at an exploded diagram of the carb and it looks like the pilot jet is on the bottom of the carb. Can I just screw it out and clean it and replace it or does the carb need to be removed to get it out?

·
Registered
14 Posts
As I mentioned above most of the ebay/ amazon "new" carbs will be Chinese knock offs that can work but may take more work that advertised to make them right. in a pinch I would use one but never as a first resort, step one is to take yours apart and clean it.

I have mine in the lineup for me to tear into at work (where i am now) I just looked and it is a mikuni CV carb there is no way the oem jet is not available. Can-am may have taken it out of inventory but they did not make the carb so you will be able to get jets, heck I will not be surprised if I do not have them on the shelf I just need to check the variant. I would bet with a few hand tools we can talk you through the process it should not be that bad to access the jets and see what you have/need. if you are game let us know and I will see what tools you need.

·
Registered
14 Posts
screw in the bottom is a fuel screw and will need cleaning as well, do not remove it yet as there is a spring,washer and o-ring to lose if you are not prepared to catch them. pilot jet will be inside the float bowl on the bottom of the carb, sometimes hidden by the float.

This is also something any decent motorcycle shop can handle so if there is anyone local you trust this does not need canam experience , looks to be a easy job.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys, I don't even have the bike home yet. I talked to the PO yesterday and he said the bank told him it would take a week to ten days for my check to clear so he wants to wait until Friday before he lets me pick it up. If I wouldn't have been in a hurry to get to a meeting last week I would have run to the bank and got him cash but I guess I'm in no hurry to get it so I can wait until Friday. I want to look it over a little better and drive it a bit to see how it runs then I'll have a better idea what could be wrong and what questions I need to ask you guys.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That would be good as I do have them on hand already, any local bike shop can get them if they do not have them. One size richer can also be had if there is a benefit 22.5

ponyroper you get to tell me if a 20 pilot is rich enough at below zero temps, I hope to not test at those temperatures.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks awful for the info. Sorry Ducvet but I usually have my ATV stored away before the first snow hits so it's not likely I'll ride it when the temp is below 40 or 50 degrees. I don't think I've ridden my old Polaris after the end of October in the 5 years I've had it. Wait, I have to take that back, I did have to do some land inspections in November last year because one of the other inspectors got sick and couldn't finish his set. Normally I wouldn't have had to use the ATV for his inspections because his are in the eastern part of the state where the country isn't as rough as mine but we had a crazy early snowstorm in early Oct. and when it warmed up again and the snow melted the trails and back roads were so wet and muddy you could only get to the sites with an off road vehicle so I had to use mine. Good thing the weather stayed decent until the middle of November.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts