Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a New commander 1000 X last may. I had to replace a broken A arm and I noticed that the bushings have never been greased. Then I checked the differential and it also had never been filled with oil. I have a noise coming from the differential. Has anyone heard of this problem?
My service tech told me that can am had sent out a memo a few months ago for the 10 hour serviced to check the differentials since some machines had apparently been sent out without the differentials being filled with oil !!!! Anyone else heard this ?

I love my commander but I know that if I have been ridding for a year without oil in the differentials and nothing greased then I am in for serious problems probably just after the warranty runs out !!!

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
BRP won't do anything for you, they are pricks with stuff like that even tho they KNOW they screwed up.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I don't believe a differential would last for an entire years worth of riding with NO oil in it....
How many miles/hours on your machine?

Did you check it? Pull the drain plug? I'm not familiar with your machine but on the Renegade the rear diff oil is supposed to be about 1/2" below the fill plug. You have to bend a piece of wire 90* and stick it in the fill hole to check for proper level. Is your Commander the same?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
No way it would've lasted a year dry of oil. You can't see the oil in the rear diff, it only holds 300ml, it doesnt get filled to the top of the fill hole like the front diff or the gearbox. The service manual goes over how to fashion a dipstick to check it. Also, if you had the machine for a year and YOU never greased it, then likely the bushings would be dry of grease, they require grease frequently, especially if you ride in wet conditions.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Your diff definitely wouldnt have lasted a year without oil. Like other mentioned, the level is further down in the diff. As far as bushings, they need to be greased frequent for them to last a while. I go over each one with a pump or 2 every other ride.

·
Registered
651 Posts
What happens if you fill the rear diff full just like the front diff? Will it damage it? I have a '14 outty XT...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
666 Posts
Overfilling can be an issue. Once the diff heats up it'll cause expansion, which can push the diff oil out of the vent tube or out of the seals which is no good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my commander has a little over 1000 miles and 130 hours on the engine. I really don't get to ride as much as I would like work kind of gets in the way. IT has ben serviced twice. I checked it with a piece of bent wire and I could only get a little oil on the very tip of the wire. I believe that was the assembly oil since it was blue in color, I park my commander in a dry location with a concrete floor and I have never noticed anything leaking fluids. As far as greasing I agree I should have been more on top of it myself but when I changed the A arm the bushings are definitely worn and dry. Its just that for $300 for a service you would think that that would include more than an oil change and trany fluid inspection!!! I just assumed that that a service was a full service. That's why I take to the dealer for service to do the little things that I am not familiar with. But obviously I was bad mistaken! I am an electrician not a mechanic that's why I took it to the dealer !
How long would a differential last with no oil?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
You would be surprised how long they could last. I'd say about a hundred miles before it finally blew apart. Less if you do a lot of high speed riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts