Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2019 outlander 650. It had been sitting a few weeks squeezed the brake lever and it pulls straight to handle bar with no resistance. Very little if any brakes from the hand lever. I went ahead and rode it around some having brakes with the foot pedal. After a little while I pumped the hand brake a few times and viola brakes again. I noticed they were a little spongy after my last big ride but nothing like this. Reckon they just need bled? Weird that they worked so perfectly for a few months and then got air in them if thats the case. I checked the fluid in the reservoir and its fine. Any body else having any trouble with this?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Brakes are a simple hydraulic system.
Sounds to me like your pads are gone .
Certain year G-2's had crappy pads.

·
Registered
83 Posts
2019 outlander 650. It had been sitting a few weeks squeezed the brake lever and it pulls straight to handle bar with no resistance. Very little if any brakes from the hand lever. I went ahead and rode it around some having brakes with the foot pedal. After a little while I pumped the hand brake a few times and viola brakes again. I noticed they were a little spongy after my last big ride but nothing like this. Reckon they just need bled? Weird that they worked so perfectly for a few months and then got air in them if thats the case. I checked the fluid in the reservoir and its fine. Any body else having any trouble with this?
Who needs brakes anyways? Lol

I’ve messed with my old Hondas front brakes that were hydraulic, the only difference is that they were drum. 90% of the time they didn’t work water got into the fluid as DOT 3 attracts moisture. If you pump the lever in and out and it builds up pressure you probably have moisture or air in the system or the plunger is broken. I would bleed them out first and if not then it’s probably the pads. Make sure to clean up the fluid especially if you have animals as it’s poisonous and it tastes sweet to animals. I Never could get those Honda brakes right, but bleeding them kinda fixed them.

Don’t know how different the bombardier brake systems are so Someone please correct me but I'm pretty sure all makes and models are very similar.

·
Registered
83 Posts
After reading it a second time I see you said that the brakes came back after a few pumps. When you pumped it air bubbles in the line may have come up out of the lines through the top giving you pressure again. have had this happen on a friends dirtbike when he was bleeding the lines and ran out of fluid, he put new fluid in it and pumped the lever a few times and we watched small bubbles come out of the reservoir holes.

Most likely needs a good brake bleeding will help.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Who needs brakes anyways? Lol

I’ve messed with my old Hondas front brakes that were hydraulic, the only difference is that they were drum. 90% of the time they didn’t work water got into the fluid as DOT 3 attracts moisture. If you pump the lever in and out and it builds up pressure you probably have moisture or air in the system or the plunger is broken. I would bleed them out first and if not then it’s probably the pads. Make sure to clean up the fluid especially if you have animals as it’s poisonous and it tastes sweet to animals. I Never could get those Honda brakes right, but bleeding them kinda fixed them.

Don’t know how different the bombardier brake systems are so Someone please correct me but I'm pretty sure all makes and models are very similar.
Yeah but on a 1 year old bike if there's moisture in the fluid , there's an underlying problem.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yeah but on a 1 year old bike if there's moisture in the fluid , there's an underlying problem.
Yeah you’re right, everything should be sealed up tight. Do you think the bleeder screw or the reservoir cap be loose?
Also, where has the atv been stored?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought it in july. Reservoir cap is not loose, if bleeder was loose I do not believe it would have ever built any pressure. Stored in a shed. I just checked the pads like 30 miles ago and they were fine.

·
Registered
875 Posts
If it was a bleeder , you'd see a drop in reservoir level . Small , but it would show .
If no fluid is leaking , being lost and there is still no firmness at the brake lever I'd be rebuilding the M/C .
But I'd bleed them first .
If they cant be bled properly, the M/C isn't correct.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Shew hopefully I can bleed them. I do not wanna have to take it to the dealer ship for warranty on the MC.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts