Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For years I have ridden Honda bikes where I could never hear any engine noise so I am realy uncomfortable with the noise my Can-Am engine makes. If it is normal I will just get used to it but if it is not I may be able to avoid serious problems later.

I spent a long time tracing a clackety tap tap noise and eventually found it is coming from the clutches, most likely the primary clutch.

Also the rear half of the primary clutch is rubbing on the back panel of the plastic case which I reckon cannot be right.

I have attached a link to a short video so you can hear the noise and attached a picture showing the fins on the pulley wearing away the plastic casing (behind the belt in the picture). I would really appreciate advice from you guys.

http://www.frankwoolf.com/CanAmCVTNoise.mp4

Attachments

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
That sir is normal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Skywoolf

·
Registered
195 Posts
Sounds hideous, and unfortunately it's NORMAL

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What about the fins on the back of the pulley scraping away the plastic case? Is that also normal?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
What year is your machine. It looks in the video to be a Gen 1. If this is the case than you may have(and it looks like you do) the older style cover/airdam. Mine did the same thing. They get hot and warp and start rubbing. I upgraded mine with the G1 XMR cover and airdam(that's the back piece thats getting rubbed). The old style I believe has 7 bolts and the upgraded XMR has 13 I believe. If this all applies to you and you decide to upgrade to the XMR cover,which is suppose to be stronger and not warp,then be advised that the 2 o-rings that go on the back of the airdam are not included in the kit. You will have to order them separate or use your old ones. Tech tip....put silicone on the o-ring when you re-install. It is also not a bad idea to silicone the main gasket to the outer cover. Makes it much easier to re-install. If you have a Gen 2 bike then please disregard and have a nice day :th_smiliethumbsup:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I just checked and yes there are only 8 bolts. I was worried that the primary clutch had somehow moved which would indicate a serious problem. Anyone noticed I am paranoid :) I think I can rig something simple to pull the effected part of the cover away from the pulley back towards the engine as it is mostly empty space behind.
My biggest concern is the horrible clatter and tap tap noises from the primary clutch. Even though everyone says its normal I feel very uncomfortable with it. If I ever find a Honda or Yamaha for sale here I will change just because I dislike that noise so much.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Get an aftermarket setup and the noise will be no more.. Its something you just have to get used to.. Mine has made the noise since day one and im at 700 miles with some hard riding and no problems with it... Also our 02 honda foreman while a good bike the engine sounds like its low on oil. That has been since new my 02 400 ex did the same noise. Its just the honda noise they all make... Until honda comes out with something that will keep up and handle like my can am, I wont be getting rid of it

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
You just have to learn to ignore it!

First gen Can Am's were notorious for melting plastic, before I even took mine for a ride longer then ten minutes put a 1/4 inch aluminum bent over the the exhaust, used thinner aluminum to block the heat from the head back to the tail pipe, I bent the aluminum over the existing small heat shield.

On a hot day at low speeds you can feel it but I've never had plastic melt and I've ridden in 90-100 degree conditions. Low speeds is when it really heats up but cools off well once you open it back up!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Outty13, I am afraid to ask but how much is an aftermarket primary clutch?.
I am very surprised at what you say about the engine noise of your Honda ATV. I have had 6 big Honda bikes and two Honda cars. I could never hear any engine noise at all unless I put my ear a few inches from the engine.
RaiderMike67, Most of the time my speed is below 20 kph (12 mph) with an air temperature of 30C (86F). When the fan turns on I have to move my left foot to the outside edge of the footrest or my leg gets cooked. I may add a second fan in the empty space behind the engine to suck more heat out the back.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Id say both of the hondas engines are just as loud as my can am.. Vehicles are a totally different animal.. Primary will cost you about 600 for a full replacement.. You can get the weights/springs to swap out your stock ones which will help with clutching but it still uses the stock clutchin that can still slip sheaves.

You can check your one way bearing out and see if it needs greased up.. Also at low speeds of 12mph you should prob use low if you are riding for a long period of time at that speed.. My average speed is around 30mph which gives the clutches a good lock up in high

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One month salary for a senior manager here :)
If all that clatter and tap tap tap is normal I guess I have to get used to it. It doesn't sound as bad as a Ducati clutch :)

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Search youtube, there is a video of a simple solution to reduce the noise quite a bit, havent tried it myself yet but i dont find mine too noisy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts