Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm in the market for my first side by side and have narrowed it down to the new 2021 Commander XT or a 2021 defender 6x6. Having never driven a side by side before I admittedly have images in my head of going over jumps and drifting through turns but the reality is that I don't really live anywhere where I can do that stuff and it isn't really my style anyway. My usage needs are to tool around in the mountains carrying 2 kayaks, fishing poles, guns etc. I do however want it to be capable because at some point I'd like to tackle the rubicon. I don't really want to do the whole thing just run the trail to buck lake so I can camp and kayak.

That being said, what in your expert opinion do you think would fit my needs better? I like the defender because it has a large bed which makes it easy to haul my kayaks and my camping gear without having to sacrifice my gear for space concerns. Also it's a 6x6 and anything with 6 driven wheels is automatically cool.

I like the 2021 commander because it's more sporty and seems to have a larger aftermarket and it has the integrated bed extender and an adventure rack accessory that might allow me to roof mount my kayaks. The 6x6 is going to cost more to run obviously but my concern is durability. My assumption is that both vehicles use essentially the same drivetrain so I'm assuming durability should be the same between them.

I used to off-road trucks but as I've gotten older I've found that I prefer offroading as a means to get to my primary activity rather than being the primary activity itself.

Thanks and I'm looking forward to eventually being a real member of the community!

·
Premium Member
2020 Outlander XMR 1000r Max
597 Posts
Hey guys, I'm in the market for my first side by side and have narrowed it down to the new 2021 Commander XT or a 2021 defender 6x6. Having never driven a side by side before I admittedly have images in my head of going over jumps and drifting through turns but the reality is that I don't really live anywhere where I can do that stuff and it isn't really my style anyway. My usage needs are to tool around in the mountains carrying 2 kayaks, fishing poles, guns etc. I do however want it to be capable because at some point I'd like to tackle the rubicon. I don't really want to do the whole thing just run the trail to buck lake so I can camp and kayak.

That being said, what in your expert opinion do you think would fit my needs better? I like the defender because it has a large bed which makes it easy to haul my kayaks and my camping gear without having to sacrifice my gear for space concerns. Also it's a 6x6 and anything with 6 driven wheels is automatically cool.

I like the 2021 commander because it's more sporty and seems to have a larger aftermarket and it has the integrated bed extender and an adventure rack accessory that might allow me to roof mount my kayaks. The 6x6 is going to cost more to run obviously but my concern is durability. My assumption is that both vehicles use essentially the same drivetrain so I'm assuming durability should be the same between them.

I used to off-road trucks but as I've gotten older I've found that I prefer offroading as a means to get to my primary activity rather than being the primary activity itself.

Thanks and I'm looking forward to eventually being a real member of the community!
If I was in your position, I would go for the Defender 6X6. Tuff machine and much bed space. I watched a guy haul a 27 foot gooseneck trailer with one.

·
Registered
2016 Can-Am Outlander Max XT 650
649 Posts
but as I've gotten older I've found that I prefer offroading as a means to get to my primary activity rather than being the primary activity itself.
I am only 30 and already more into that than off-roading as a primary activity. I enjoy my ATV for hunting and camping and spending time in the outdoors more than simply going offroading.

Reactions: Hunter420

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am only 30 and already more into that than off-roading as a primary activity. I enjoy my ATV for hunting and camping and spending time in the outdoors more than simply going offroading.
Yea I'm 34 and probably started feeling that way maybe 6 years ago. Back in the day the off-road trail was the reason to leave the house now the reason to leave the house is a kayaking trip or a fishing trip etc and offroading just happens to be a means to get there.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
4,287 Posts
Welcome to the site.

It's sounding to me like the Defender would more closely match your needs, it's got utility out the wazoo, and there's no shortage of aftermarket support for it, to customize to your wants.

I think, if you were looking for a little more thrill on the trail ride, to your ultimate destination, the Commander would be the lean, but it sounds to me like the Defender is the one for you. Try to test-drive 'em both? Or somehow get some seat time?

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
1st of all, welcome to the site.

I agree with BombardierBom, it sounds like the Defender 6x6 will fill your needs the best. It's a very capable machine and the amount of stuff that you can carry is unreal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I need to find a dealer that has some in stock locally. Maybe the current market is atypical but it seems like the used market prices are close to brand new prices and dealers can't seem to keep new or pre-owned inventory in stock very long.

A friend of mine told me he'd sell me his RZR for 10k which then sent me down this rabbit hole where I eventually landed on wanting a Can-am. 10k for a 7 year old machine sounds wasteful when a new machine can be had for 18ish. Good to see that resale stays high though

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
4,287 Posts
the current market is atypical but it seems like the used market prices are close to brand new prices and dealers can't seem to keep new or pre-owned inventory in stock very long
That's exactly what it is, atypical. The lack of available inventory, due to the chicken-little sky is falling lets shut down the economy sheeple, coupled with a lot of other people with free time on their hands and/or wanting to get out and do some "social distancing", has the resale numbers all out of wack, and new machines hard to come by.

A friend of mine told me he'd sell me his RZR for 10k which then sent me down this rabbit hole where I eventually landed on wanting a Can-am. 10k for a 7 year old machine sounds wasteful when a new machine can be had for 18ish. Good to see that resale stays high though
I wouldn't touch an old RZR, lol, waaaaay too many horror stories amongst my riding buddies/acquaintances. Some of 'em are blindly loyal, there's no talking sense into 'em, but I like to think I'm smarter with my money than that. Again, I think that machines resale value is falsely inflated due to the market conditions right now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's exactly what it is, atypical. The lack of available inventory, due to the chicken-little sky is falling lets shut down the economy sheeple, coupled with a lot of other people with free time on their hands and/or wanting to get out and do some "social distancing", has the resale numbers all out of wack, and new machines hard to come by.

I wouldn't touch an old RZR, lol, waaaaay too many horror stories amongst my riding buddies/acquaintances. Some of 'em are blindly loyal, there's no talking sense into 'em, but I like to think I'm smarter with my money than that. Again, I think that machines resale value is falsely inflated due to the market conditions right now.
One part of me wants to rush out and buy one so I can have some fun over the summer but the other part of me wants to wait because I'm sure if I wait a bit the prices will start to go down. If I can wait it out until there is more supply than demand I can score a pretty solid deal i think but who knows when that could be. I'm planning on paying cash and almost have enough saved up so I have to wait another month at least anyway so hopefully by the time Im flush with cash the market will have evened out a bit. Are the MSRP numbers inflated due to increased demand and limited supply or are the manufacturer numbers about what they would be normally?

·
Registered
2016 Can-Am Outlander Max XT 650
649 Posts
I'm planning on paying cash and almost have enough saved up so I have to wait another month at least anyway
Based solely on this input, I would wait even longer until I am financially stable to drop such amount on an ATV. The world is very unpredictable at the moment and the economy can still do crazy things so I would err on the safe side and continue saving until 1) more money is saved than needed for the ATV purchase and 2) prices have calmed down and gone down.

Just my 2 cents based on a very humble but successful track record of personal finances, debt-free life, and soaring investment portfolio.

Good luck! (y)

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
4,287 Posts
Are the MSRP numbers inflated due to increased demand and limited supply or are the manufacturer numbers about what they would be normally?
What I'm accustomed to reading, are members here that have been able to negotiate a LOT off of the msrp, and/or complimentary extended warranties, and/or accessories installed say free of charge, etc.

The ATV/UTV market has traditionally been a buyer's market, all the dealers dying to get your money. That's not the case with this covid economy wrecking things, but I believe it'll return to that status quo, if you can wait.

·
Premium Member
2020 Outlander XMR 1000r Max
597 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is in order to rid ourselves of the criminal bankers and their worthless fiat toilet paper currency the economy must crash. Then we can get back on sound money backed with tangible resources. This is coming and will happen fast when it does. Question is, do you want or need one of these machines during this time? If you think it may be an asset for gathering food and other uses, may want to get it now. Like @BombardierBomb said, The Covid econony wrecking things. I see this as a first step to a much bigger problem. Pretty soon most people will envy the preppers I think. I purchased my XMR1000 because it can drag a dead moose out of the mountains and much more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Based solely on this input, I would wait even longer until I am financially stable to drop such amount on an ATV. The world is very unpredictable at the moment and the economy can still do crazy things so I would err on the safe side and continue saving until 1) more money is saved than needed for the ATV purchase and 2) prices have calmed down and gone down.

Just my 2 cents based on a very humble but successful track record of personal finances, debt-free life, and soaring investment portfolio.

Good luck! (y)
That's kind of my plan, I only need roughly 2k more to actually buy one but given that ive been reading about successful pricing negotiations I'm hoping to go into a negotiation with 20k cash and hopefully be able to pay 15/16/17k-ish. By the time I get that additional money the market may have changed and I'll reassess. Plus I still need a trailer too so I'm planning for that as well.

I don't think the ammo market is going to stabilize at all, but I'm hoping the used car and utv market will stabilize.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts