Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This could become a pretty heated topic on the Polaris forums. I am gonna ask here anyway.

I just bought a 2014 Renegade 1000 on Saturday. I put 60 miles and 3 hours on it yesterday. I have a large ride coming up next week for a charity event. Probably will ride well over 200-300 miles in the few days. Manual says break in period is 10 hrs or 200 miles. So basically I will have to change oils at some point at the event.

My question is two fold. What are you guys running for oil weights in the engine? From what I found online the BRP synthetic or all season oil is a 0w-40 and the summer weight is a 5w-40. I am planning to run either Mobil 1 0w-40 or Amsoil 0w-40. Are these good to use or can you make some recommendations. Also what oil filters are you running? Stock, K&N, Hiflo, or something different.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Right now, I would just get fresh oil and filter in it before your long ride. You can read endless oil opinions after your ride.
Get some synthetic 0-40 and a filter and ride it!

I like Mobil 1 oils, Amsoil, Royal Purple, etc.....Lots of good ones out there but the Can am stuff is usually overpriced.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Deadman,

I am not going to bash the BRP oil. We all know that OEMs don't make their own oil. Mine isn't about that I am looking for something that is good and readily available to me. Mobil 1 in 0w-40 is. Can-Am dealer is quite a ways from my house.

What do you recommend for oil filter?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I bought a case of k&n filters off of Amazon for $20!!!!

·
Registered
517 Posts
if you like warranty i would run the oil weights listed in your owner's manual.
as for the "10 hour service" you just want to keep it close to that. having your service at 13 hours isn't going to kill it.
i run a uni filter but in all honesty had a paper one been available when i replaced it i would have stuck with oem.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
For oil filter HiFo 152 Cost $5.00 Most get it on Ebay Same company that makes the HiFo also make the K&N oil filter just you pay more for the K&N name.

Air filter Twin air

Oil Rotella Full Synthetic 5W-40 all year. Get it at Wal-Mart.

You will find this is what a lot of the owners use.

·
Registered
827 Posts
What temps are y'all running the 5w40 rotella at? I want to replace with it for my next oil change but not sure about going with the lighter oil in the hot louisisnana weather.

·
Registered
827 Posts
That Celsius or Fahrenheit?

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
0-40 is the same viscosity as 20-40 when its hot. Its just that the 0-40 is nice and thin when its cold, so it immediately flows oil to the engine whereas the 20-40 pumps thicker oil much slower on startup. Now that might be a minor thing, but I would rather my engine have thin oil immediately vs having thick oil after a delay of any kind.
Its just my personal opinion.......

·
Registered
49 Posts
amsoil 0-40 and royal purple for diffs/gearbox

1 - 15 of 15 Posts