Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 2015 outlander xt, only use it in jan, feb, march, just for ice fishing, gets down to 0 degrees, -5 -10 degrees, wich is the best oil for cold weather ???? I do not use machine for anything else other than ice fishing.....thanks guys...

·
Registered
933 Posts
I think you should let me take care of it for the summer months. ;-)

But as for Winter cold, I'd run a good quality 5W 30 and be sure to warm the engine up to full operating temperature.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I run Amsoil everywhere. Go to their web site, plug in your machine, use what they recommend.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Does your machine not require a 40 weight? Is there a cold temperature range where they recommend something else like a 30 weight? I would always stick with the recommended viscosity in that regard. As for the "w" or winter grade of the oil, SAEJ300 defines the viscosity grade of oil. To be an approved 5wXX oil which is the low temperature viscosity of the oil, it must meet the CCS (Cold Crank Start) limit of 6600mPa @ -30*F. For an oil to be classified as a 0WXX oil, it must have a CCS limit of 6200mPa @ -35*F.
What does this all mean? It means that any 0w40 or 5w40 will be more than sufficient. Both will offer you excellent cold weather protection. All 0w40 and 5w40 is full synthetic oil, so choose a brand that is SN approved and rest assured it is a quality oil. If BRP recommends a 30 weight oil in sub zero weather, a 0w30 or a 5w30 that is SN approved is the way to go.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
0w-40 in Minnesota winters here, and 5w-40 in summer.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I ride year round with 5w30 full synthetic. Over 16,000 miles and still going strong.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
You should be running 0w40. You need the 0 for the cold and 40 weight for the temps that these motors run at. In reality 0w40 is thicker oil than 5w30. The winter weight (first number) only affects the motor during the first few minutes of starting. After that the oil is to warm and then the top number will take over.

·
Registered
687 Posts
While 0w40 is a superior oil to 5w40, it is not NEEDED. There aren't as many 0w40's available off the shelf as there are 5w40s. I certainly wouldnt go to the trouble of ordering any expensive brand name oils off the internet and paying premium prices not to mention membership fees and shipping when a 5w40 is plenty sufficient as I noted above per SAEJ300. We had lots of weather that cold and colder (down to -39F) and 5w40 is what I run in my diesels all year round. My truck has a manual oil pressure gauge, I see instant oil pressure at start up. My Honda that saw over 70 hours of plowing this winter runs good ol fashion Honda GN4 10w30 (full synthetic). It started just fine and purred like a kitten at the above temps. My Rincon also uses the engine oil in the trans/torque convertor and if the oil was too thick I would have driveability issues when cold. No problems whatsoever even on the coldest mornings I plowed at -25F or so.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Also, I would think that BRP recommends 0w40 since they sell world wide and the bikes need to function in all climates.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts