Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bike started leaking oil when it’s running, at the rate that it almost seemed like the drain plug came out. I too, all the plastics off and the leak seems to be coming from behind the belt drive housing on the top of where the shaft is. Unless I start taking the bike all apart I cannot see the source of the leak. It’s behind the cover in the picture at the red circle level. Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,878 Posts
Look at the rear cam chain tensioner. It looks like this.
Flooring Gas Wood Composite material Machine
Motor vehicle Vehicle Gas Automotive tire Auto part

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,878 Posts
That nut looking part is missing in the 2nd picture.

·
Super Moderator
1,878 Posts
Pull the left engine cover off and look between the heat sheild and the belt box. If it is not that then yes you wipp need to start pulling belt cover and clutches so you can see better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pull the left engine cover off and look between the heat sheild and the belt box. If it is not that then yes you wipp need to start pulling belt cover and clutches so you can see better.

Ok, so it turns out it is the rear chain tensioner, do you have a guidance link that would help me in changing this out?

·
Super Moderator
1,878 Posts
I recommend removing your clutches and belt box. I have done it withou removing them but it is a pain.

And then yes the video chief showed is a great video.

·
Registered
2020 Can Am Defender 6x6
2,146 Posts
What are the differences? You can't go wrong if you stick to the service manual. But this part is pretty common on the can am's. I did this adjustment on my Outlander 6x6 and it seemed to work good.

Reactions: Freewill

·
Registered
99 Posts
What are the differences? You can't go wrong if you stick service manual. But this part is pretty common on the can am's. I did this adjustment on my Outlander 6x6 and it seemed to work good.
The video displays the spring and screw plug. No mention of chain tensioner plunger requiring a pre loaded position. It is in the manual. Lengthy procedure but the pictures provide the necessary understanding of the components. Look it up..

·
Super Moderator
1,878 Posts
The video displays the spring and screw plug. No mention of chain tensioner plunger requiring a pre loaded position. It is in the manual. Lengthy procedure but the pictures provide the necessary understanding of the components. Look it up..
All Can-Ams using this style of tensioner use the same procedure just like @chief said.

Reactions: Chief...

·
Registered
2020 Can Am Defender 6x6
2,146 Posts
The video displays the spring and screw plug. No mention of chain tensioner plunger requiring a pre loaded position. It is in the manual.
The reason that the individual was putting a preload on it was because (as he said) "due to lack of tension that most likely the guides were worn or the chain was streached" and by putting the preload it allowed it to preform it function.

If yours has the (as he called it) automatic unwinding, your good to go and do not need any preload. If it just sits there after you loosen it, it is not preforming it's function and your choise is to either put the preload on it or to take it apart and change the guides and possibly the chain.

·
Super Moderator
1,878 Posts
The reason that the individual was putting a preload on it was because (as he said) "due to lack of tension that most likely the guides were worn or the chain was streached" and by putting the preload it allowed it to preform it function.

If yours has the (as he called it) automatic unwinding, your good to go and do not need any preload. If it just sits there after you loosen it, it is not preforming it's function and your choise is to either put the preload on it or to take it apart and change the guides and possibly the chain.
That is not quite what he was saying. He was not putting preload on because of the worn guides or chain. Even if the chains or guide are worn the cam tensioner will perform its duty correctly without the preload.

As the chain and guides wear the spring unwinds and pushes the inner piece out further and the spring unwinds a little more. It can only unwind so many times.

As they wear further and further the spring completely relaxes and you need to pull the tensioner and reset it. Still no need for preload even if guides or chain are completely shot.

That guy only preloads because he thinks it helps. Which it will help hold tension for a longer amount of time but it also puts more tension on chain and guides when you first set it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Preload! Read the service manual. The video does NOT preload as instructed in the service manual. Interpret the video as you like BUT no preload is occurring as that function is not demonstrated.

·
Super Moderator
1,878 Posts
Preload! Read the service manual. The video does NOT preload as instructed in the service manual. Interpret the video as you like BUT no preload is occurring as that function is not demonstrated.
Are you talking about the 1/8 turn on the plunger?

Just turn the plunger in till it takes up slack in the chain and give it an 1/8 of a turn. I just go by feel. Its not rocket science.

Reactions: Chief...
1 - 20 of 26 Posts