Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2022 can am outlander 570 xmr
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my 2022 570 xmr on Thursday and put 20 miles on it. All easy miles putting around town haven't even went over 35 mph. came home to a puddle of oil under it and found more oil on the skid plate. There seems to be brass flakes in the oil. Anyone ever see this?
Brown Automotive tire Tire Road surface Wood

Tire Automotive tire Tread Automotive lighting Asphalt

·
Registered
2021 Outlander 850 max XT-P
730 Posts
Are you sure it's crank case oil? Could it be gear oil from the gear box or Difs?

What does it smell like? The gear oil in the difs and gear box will have a distinct smell due to the additives. If it's strong smelling it's gear oil.

I would notify the dealer asap and get their direction.

ID what type of fluid it is first and if possible - the source.

Um - is that normal? No - but don't jump to conclusions - we need to know where it came from.

Please report back.

·
Registered
2014 Outlander max xt 650
218 Posts
I don't care where it came from or what kind of oil it is it should not be leaking @ 20,200, or 2000 miles. Take it back and don't take some covid excuse for an answer. Period! Get it fixed and get it documented

·
Registered
2021 Outlander 850 max XT-P
730 Posts
The reason I say that is because that looks more like melted never seize than oil. The shavings are copper colored not brass, unless my screen is tricking me. I don't believe there are any parts internally of that color.

Not to mention - There would most likely be a sound change with that much material.

Someone spilled something it got hot and did that.

MHO is call the dealer put them on notice but try to find the source. It may be nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
2014 Outlander max xt 650
218 Posts
After looking closely at the pictures it does look like a thick consistency that being melted never seize like CMB said. But that is a large puddle not just a few drops. Like I said regardless make sure the Dealer sees it at takes action and document. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
2021 Outlander Max 450 DPS
1,165 Posts
Just to confirm my understanding, there was no oil visible on the skid plate or floor when you took delivery of the XMR. After an easy 20 mile ride you parked the quad.
How much time did it take for the puddle of oil to accumulate on the floor?
Can you see any possible source of a leak from the motor or other component?
I have never seen anything like that and find it very mysterious.
The brass/copper particles seem to be very uniform in size. They also seem to be lighter (less dense) than copper or brass by the way they stay in suspension in the oil. Also, I would not expect so many particles to 'leak' out with the oil in a typical oil leak.
The look of that stuff reminds me the junk sold to stop coolant leaks. The idea being that when added to the coolant mix the particles will not fit through the leak and plug it up.
Your XMR should go straight back to the dealer and have them register the 'problem' in your warranty file.
Please share any developments with us.

·
Registered
2015 Can Am Outlander XT 650
103 Posts
definitely bring that back to the dealership and have them check fluids or ask if you can watch them check fluids or check them yourself in front of them. That seems really odd but really could be anything even something dumb that doesn't matter.

·
Registered
2022 can am outlander 570 xmr
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After talking to the dealership they said to wash off the skid plate and see if it is residual oil that was sitting on the skid plate. I washed it off and took it up and down the street and then parked it. Within 20 minutes there was more oil and metal flakes on the skid plate. Seems to be coming from the right side of the motor near where the 4 by 4 actuator bolts on. The copper looking shavings is definitely coming out with the fluid i wiped a drip off the actuator bolt and there was shavings in it. Needless to say I'm taking it back to the dealer at 3 today. I am going to watch them drain the fluid to verify im not crazy lol. Just odd because it runs and drives great.

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
I think that is the assembly lube they use in them. It mixes with the gearlube. I see that color when I drain the gearbox on new defenders.

I am betting either an o ring or crush washer is nissing from drain or fill plug or the o ring on the actuator got pinched on assembly.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 Outlander Max XT 650
1,904 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 Outlander Max XT 650
1,904 Posts
I got a call from the dealer today there was an o-ring on the 4wd actuator that had a chunk missing. They have it fixed and am picking up today. As far as the metal looking substance it is am adative they put in and it is completely normal.
Make sure the topped up the gearbox fluid. Glad it got sorted. Happy riding.

·
Registered
Oxford blue 2022 Outlander 850 XT
576 Posts
Great info !
I personally didn't notice anything of this "coper" color when I did my first flushes at 400km. The only small "shavings/dusting" were from the rear diff but greyishh. All the other oils were pretty "transparent" and of a very light yellow color.

Thanks again !

1 - 20 of 24 Posts