Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently changed the oil in my 2010 outlander max to amsoil 0w40.

Is this oil to thin to be running during summer months?

What are your recommendations?

Thanks.

·
Registered
686 Posts
It is the same viscosity at operating temps as 5w40 so you will be fine. (Assuming your machine calls for 5w40 from the factory)

The only difference is cold flow properties, the 0w40 will flow easier at cold temps but once up to operating temperature they are the same viscosity.

·
Registered
203 Posts
5W30 all year long works fine. I never change and have never had problems. BRP calls for 5W30 so why change.

·
Registered
891 Posts
It is the same viscosity at operating temps as 5w40 so you will be fine. (Assuming your machine calls for 5w40 from the factory)

The only difference is cold flow properties, the 0w40 will flow easier at cold temps but once up to operating temperature they are the same viscosity.
100% good information

·
Registered
686 Posts
Do the earlier machines call for 5w30? If so then I would probably think twice about running a 40w as the 40w will be thicker at operating temps and may not be able to lubricate critical areas that have small oil galleries. The factory recommends the viscosity of the oil based on the design of the engine, so if they recommend a 30w I would stick with a 30w.

·
Registered
891 Posts
From the owners manual ,the cold weather performance is almost identical for 5W40 SYN & 5w30 dino oil. I'd use the synthetic every time!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts