Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new member here from North Dakota. I'm retired but work at a part time job that takes me out in rough country and the western ND badlands. It's an interesting job but I soon found out I needed an ATV to get to a lot of my inspection sites. Just bought a 2001 Traxter 500 and found this site when I was researching the machine. Bombardier is not a common machine in this country although I have heard of Can-Am and there is a dealer in Bismarck. The machine I bought is like new and only has 225 miles on it. It was owned by a retired farmer who only used it to tow a pull-behind mower at his lake lot. It's been setting in a shed for a few years so I'm going to have some questions for the experts on this site. I'll start a new thread with a few questions I have. I'm not an experienced rider or much of a mechanic but I can do simple repairs with good instructions. I'm hoping I can stay away from the dealers shop as they are up close to $125/hour for labor charges. What attracted me to the Traxter was the step through seat because I have a bad hip and 2 knee replacements and was having a tough time swinging my leg over the old Polaris I am now using. Hope this helps with that problem. Thanks for any help you can give me.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,023 Posts
Welcome to the site, hope it works well for you.

Reactions: Ponyroper

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ponyroper
I read your thread and thought it was my own. I bought a 2001 a week or two ago and am on a similar search for all things traxter. Mine is a non-runner with a similar story to yours, so whats up with the low to no mile traxters? 79 miles on my odometer and a condition to match so I don't know what to think are they really that bad? I too hope to see so as I dig into mine to get it running I will watch out for any pitfalls to warn you about.

For one I have read many times never try and jump start it from a running automobile, common that people fry a ecu that is no longer available. starter clutches seem to be a weak point (supposedly whats wrong with mine) and they are available as a chinese knock off on ebay for cheap or a oem part that may not be better for more from can-am. I am a motorcycle mechanic by trade but have very little atv experience so i will let you know of build quality as i tear it apart and see whats inside. From the outside the machine looks well built but often it is the inside that counts more, it is disappointing that the manufacturer does not keep essentials to keep older machines running so you and I have to rely on them being built well enough in the first place so we dont have to chase obsolete parts on ebay.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Great old machine, pony roper. Parts are getting few and far between. Seeing few miles you should be good for awhile. Just make sure dinosaur oil for engine and tranny changes. no synthetic.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ducvet, I did a lot of research online before I went to see the one I bought and heard many good things about the Traxters. Usually people who have bad experiences with things are more likely to post their gripes than people who are satisfied so the low number of unsatisfied posters was surprising because I had never heard of anyone in my country riding a Bombardier. Another thing that I liked was that the seller was very honest and willing to answer any of my questions and didn't seem to be trying to hide anything. Just a friendly older retired farmer who didn't ride the machine any more. It is a little scary that repair parts may not be available but for the price I paid and the good reviews on reliability I guess I'm willing to take a chance. I only put about 150-200 miles a year on an ATV and nearly all that is for my job so baring any unusual mechanical problems I'll be dead before this machine has 2,000 miles on it. My recent hip problems also made me willing to take the risk because of the step thru design. That could be a godsend for me in the next few years. I would probably have to quit my job in the next couple years if I had to keep using my current machine as I'm really having a hard time swinging my leg up over the equipment box I have mounted on the back rack of my Polaris. Also my Polaris is underpowered for some of the big hills I need to climb in the rough country I cover and I've rolled it a couple of times already because I had to take a run at some steep hills to get up them and then lost control when I hit a rut of hole. With the power and weight of this machine and it's longer wheel base I should be able to creep up these hills much more safely. Bad thing is I think I'll have to get heavier ramps to load it on my pickup as me and the machine and my equipment will weigh close to 1,000# and my old ramps are probably too light for that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice selfire. I'm a little nervous about not finding parts if I need them but hopefully E-Bay will have what I need if the dealers don't. There were a lot of these machines sold over the years so parted out machines will probably be the way to go eventually. Guess I'm just hoping this machine will hold up if I take good care of it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would say if you are not in a huge rush for parts they will be able to be found or made. If it was critical to have the machine without delays it seems a machine that is no older than 5 years old would be best. I took the chance in part because with such low miles on these machines they should have many miles left ini them and outside of a few age related or former owner related issues be fine. If not we both would not have too tough a time getting our money back out of them in parts as a few un-obtanium parts will be worth more than the machine as a whole.

I wonder if the step through design failed as a concept that most of the community rejected due to looks or if there was a functional reason no one does it. I can tell you from the motorcycle end of things I have tried on numerous occasions to convince a older motorcyclist to try a modern step through scooter as they are very good. Usually they look as if they just saw granny naked at the thought of riding "a scooter" ...lol.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Selfire
I have wondered why no synthetic though I have seen it mentioned before. Not sure why but my guess is the clutch pack is of a old design material, I still see aftermarket clutches listed as dyno oil only which in 2020 still shocks me. I can comply but it makes as much sense as running tubes in your tires these days.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts