Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ontario government has finally made changes to bill 316/03. It will now allow 2ups and SxS the same privileges as regular ATVs to ride along the shoulder of the road. Organizers say it will be in affect July 1/15, but want time for each Municipallty to get caught up and make their own rules. Its been a long time coming, but glad to see it finally past. Here where I live in the Kawarthas the big hurtle will be getting the two Municipallies Haliburton and City of The Kawartha Lakes to open the Rail trail for SxS. They already allow 2ups on their trails, but this new ruling will allow for easier traveling on some road access.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes this is great news! Step in the right direction.I'm also in the kawarthas. Just outside Lindsay. I'm wondering if this means any public road.the writing does not exactly specify if there is a boundary. Then the issue becomes what exactly defines the shoulder of a road.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BigC I too wonder about the language that will be used in each Municipally. I asked a member of KATVA, if in fact will they open up rail trail from Lindsay to Haliburton. I have not heard any thing back.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Born2atv, the rail trail from Lindsay to Halliburton is and has been been open for use for some time. We ride from a park in the north end of Lindsay to tori hill every may 24 and have taken it to Halliburton. As for going south of that park into
Lindsay you are screwed. I'm just thinking it would be sweet to be able to ride my machine from my driveway to the park. As of right now there is a line in which you can't ride on roads south of it. But from what I read on the Ontario website.it simply says these machines will be allowed on the shoulder of public roads in Ontario. Doesn't specify where which leads me to believe there is no boundary. However all the municipalities will have to create there own by laws.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know your pain too well BigC. Went to many town meetings to try and get a passage through Lindsay. I know the rail trail is open, but will they now include SxS. They will need to open gates back up if SxS are to get through.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Just remember that in Ontario ATV's aren't allowed on any roads unless the municipality passes a by-law that allows it. This update just means that the municipalities can now pass by-laws to allow 2-ups, SxS, UTV etc. on the side of their roads where they probably already allow ATVs.

Lindsay will never allow anything through that town.

ATVs are the opposite of sleds :(

·
Registered
932 Posts
Basically; the law now allows us guys on 2 ups and SXSs equal access to roads. I have been removing my rear seat whenever I know I will be doing significant road running. Its a step in the right direction.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts