Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, wanting some opinions on the first real mods for the renegade! I know this has been asked before, and I have read all of those threads, but they mostly relate to mud performance and I only ride trails. I ride a combination of fast, wide open trails and small tight trails, but am a pretty aggressive rider.

Bike is a 2019 Renny 850 base model - and yes I know, i am asking about power mods on an 850 when I could have bought a 1000, but too late now and cant trade.

Basically I am looking to make the throttle response snappier and more like the sport quads which I came off of. Theres a few different mods Ive considered, so I will give what I think the pros and cons are and want opinions from trail riders on the best route to take.

• exhaust and ECU tune ( seems like the best all round option, better throttle response, torque, and the added sound bonus, cooler engine temps)
  • clutch kit ( seems to make backshifting better in the mid range, so trail riding will feel snappier but not necessarily more pull off the line)
  • aftermarket primary (lots of mud guys talk about this, but im not totally sold. most expensive option, and doesnt benefit from the sound like the exhaust option)

Right now I am leaning towards the exhaust and tune, mostly because of the combo of performance increase, extra sound, and the ECU tune will lower fan temps and change timing for premium, which I run anyways, and add fuel to help it run a bit cooler since we always ride in hot places and run the bikes hard. Leaning towards the MBRP 5" exhaust which seems like a popular option since it came out, anyone out there run this exhaust and have any comments? Says it can be run without a tune, which appeals to me because my warranty isnt up yet so I can buy the can and wait for warranty to get the tune.

Any other thoughts on best way to make it snappier like a sport bike?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
no one has any input?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I trail ride only as well with 25 inch tires. best thing i think you can do is an open design slip on exhaust, with a ECM flash that removes all limiters, adds fuel and turns the fan on at 180ish. next would be a CVtech primary and STM secondary, your only not sold on one because you have not rode with one, 110% worth it if your performance oriented.
That 850 is a great engine with a lot of potential and just a hair behind a 1000, so no worries there.
one other thing i would do for sure is wrap the header pipes with a header wrap, do home work on this before you do it if you decide to because wrap like titanium is junk, and its all about doing the install correctly.
other things i would focus on is durability and comfort, Cecco racing steering stem reinforcement, flex bars, Cecco racing tie rods, and a set of EBC break pads as the stockers will only last a hundred or 2 miles if your lucky. Direction 2 fender flares are a good investment as well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, exactly the kind of opinion I was looking for. If I got the slip on I would probably get the headers ceramic coated, along with the first part of the slip on to keep heat down. And I will definitely have to keep that in mind on the clutching, might not be worth it to bother with a clutch kit and just wait to do a primary and secondary. And thanks for the other upgrade ideas, have already been thinking about brake pads since I ride in sand alot, and have wanted those flexx bars for years but havent gotten one yet. Maybe for this bike since it might make more of a difference with all that weight compared to the sport bikes.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
clutch kits have there very limited place but your looking for max performance and a primary is 100% better than a clutch kit.
ceramics coat that slip on end for sure, the shock is like only 4 mm from the pipe, i would still wrap it after you ceramic coat them, i tested the wrap temps, 150 to 200 degrees lower temps.

flex bars are great, i bought a set 10 years ago, currently have 3 sets now. rebuilt the ten year old set 2 years ago and they were still good to go, the rebuild didn't even need to be done. just save your old bars and put them on when you ever decide to sell it. mine have been on a few different machines an the cost over 10 years is nothing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
clutch kits have there very limited place but your looking for max performance and a primary is 100% better than a clutch kit.
ceramics coat that slip on end for sure, the shock is like only 4 mm from the pipe, i would still wrap it after you ceramic coat them, i tested the wrap temps, 150 to 200 degrees lower temps.

flex bars are great, i bought a set 10 years ago, currently have 3 sets now. rebuilt the ten year old set 2 years ago and they were still good to go, the rebuild didn't even need to be done. just save your old bars and put them on when you ever decide to sell it. mine have been on a few different machines an the cost over 10 years is nothing.
Thanks, and yes I realise that the clutch kit was limited, just wasnt sure if it was best to go pipe/tune route or clutches for biggest performance difference. And definitely true for the flex bars, I swapped my ODI grips over from my honda and love them. I will certainly consider the thermal wrap, although I do think these newer bikes run a little cooler than the old ones for some reason, I have heard people say they arent as bad as previous years. Mine runs hot, but not really really bad by my book, at least I can wear shorts unlike a sport quad.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
4,788 Posts
Is that a DBW throttle or traditional cable?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts