Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many folks on here has bought an extended warranty and have you used it or would you do it again. Thanks in advance. Bill

·
Registered
282 Posts
Welcome to the forum BlaylockVol.

I have bought extended warranties on some vehicles, but not on others. I don't buy them on ATVs/UTVs or automobiles, because they tend to generally be pretty reliable. On an RV I definitely buy an extended warranty, because RVs as a whole are probably the least reliable thing you can buy. The manufacturer make a difference of course. You are wasting your time buying an extended warranty on a Yamaha or Honda. Polaris units earn an extended warranty. Can Am is somewhere in the middle. With RVs, I have never needed a repair on a Grand Design manufactured RV (Momentum Toy Haulers). But Forest River manufactured RVs will need repairs each and every time they are used. I owned a Forest River class C motorhome that needed to have the refrigerator replaced under an extended warranty. It cost $5000 to replace the refrigerator in that RV, because they have to remove the rear window to get the old fridge out or the new fridge in, because it is too big to fit through the door. That one repair more than paid for the extended warranty, and there were several other repairs that were covered as well.

Reactions: Bucker88

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
I wouldn’t buy it. The two most expensive things are the engine and gearbox which are very reliable in can ams. The warranty is also only as good as the dealer. Most of the time when a warranty gets denied is bc the dealer/service dept doesn’t have a good reputation or it’s how the service dept wrote it up. Regardless I wouldn’t buy any extended warranty.

Reactions: Tozguy

·
Registered
2019 Can-Am Defender HD8 DPS with lots of bolt-ons with no performance enhancements.
179 Posts
I bought one for mine, I had a year from date of purchase. Have not needed it so far. I would not break my heart to not need it, as this was my first UTV and Can-am I thought it prudent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Defender HD8
362 Posts
I bought a 3 year extended. Never used it and it expired. Would love to have that $$$$ back, but at the same time it was peace of mind….just in case.

If Im ever in the market again for a new utv/atv, think I’ll pass.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think it depends. I bought a 2019 cab model. Took the 2 year warranty over the $500 rebate. The passenger door pwr window crapped out and was fixed under warranty so it was worth it. Plus, we use ours very little. Mostly hunting season and just before so we don't find issues for a while so it was worth it for us.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
you can negotiate the price on the warranty, do it after you get the price you want on the quad. if you can get it for 500 to 700 for the extra 3 years i would. it could pay for it in one issue like the power steering needing replaced, that issue is not common but just an example.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts