Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping someone has seen this problem and can help me out. I have a 2007 Can Am Outlander 400 XT. It will not start or turn over. The instrument cluster is will not show anything. It does have lights (hi and low and responds with the key switch) and the winch works. So far, this is what I have done.

1. Replaced the battery. It now shows 13 volts.
2. Cleaned the terminals, including the terminals on the solenoid and the ground.
3. Checked the main fuse in the back. I only see one fuse in the back, it is a 30 amp fuse. It is good.
4. Checked the 3 fuses in the front compartment. They are all good. I only see 3 fuses in the 2007.
5. Removed and cleaned (the best I could) kill switch. It looked good. Checked voltage going to the switch, 12.6 volts.
6. Removed the key switch, checked the voltage going to the key switch and it was 12.6 volts.
7. Cleaned the key switch. No change, still lights, but no instrument cluster and will not turn over.
8. removed all the fuses and checked for voltage at each fuse when the key was on and all checks out.
9. Checked the auxiliary plug, it works. Powered a spot light.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sanpeter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi All,

I thought I would post an update and how I solved the problem.
1. Swapped the instrument cluster on another machine. The instrument cluster was good.
2. Swapped the cleaned key switch with another machine, it was good.
3. Started to follow electrical wiring back to the battery. Everything looked good.
4. I had installed a BatteryMinder pigtail so that I could plug the BatteryMinder in. I removed it and it started working. I am not sure what was going on with the pigtail, but it was causing a short.

Problem solved.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
4,568 Posts
I had installed a BatteryMinder pigtail so that I could plug the BatteryMinder in. I removed it and it started working. I am not sure what was going on with the pigtail, but it was causing a short.
Thanks for posting this (y)

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
4,568 Posts
Sometimes its easy/second nature to dismiss or overlook newer slash aftermarket add-ons as "there's no way this is the problem" but the first time I read of someone's tuner giving them starting/drivability issues, it's stuck with me to try and remember to consider every possible thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sometimes its easy/second nature to dismiss or overlook newer slash aftermarket add-ons as "there's no way this is the problem" but the first time I read of someone's tuner giving them starting/drivability issues, it's stuck with me to try and remember to consider every possible thing.
I have a 2007 outlander 500 with on crank no start yes i have lights and winch went over and over everthing the speedo face was cracked I see some water in it pulled speedo off and took apart found the circut borad very damaged BAD I need to start with speedo but I cant find one CAN ANY ON HELP I will used new ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Keith, It does not sound good. I would try a salvage yard. Or, just to make sure the speedo is the problem, do you know someone that has a similar year you could swap speedos and try it? Just a thought.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Keith, It does not sound good. I would try a salvage yard. Or, just to make sure the speedo is the problem, do you know someone that has a similar year you could swap speedos and try it? Just a thought.
Thats a good idea I will see if I can find a donor a dn try that

1 - 8 of 8 Posts