Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday my quad died on me while driving around the property. After inspecting It I came to the conclusion that I want getting fuel, so after drinking some gas I found out that fuel was getting to the pump but it wasn't pumping it, so I took the pump apart and put it back together and it was all fine. Then tested the pump by owing into the diaphragm and it worked fine, couldn't find anything wrong with it. I then put it all back together and it ran like new.

today I went on a ride and about half way through the ride it wouldn't idle then a few km later it started to bog than died. Figured out that the fuel pump stopped pumping so I pulled the fuel line off the fuel line switch valve thingy and let it gravity feed off a water bottle i filled with gas. After letting it idle for a while I noticed that the fuel pump started to pump again so I disconnected the line from the bottle and let it pump out of the tank again. It worked for about 1/4 way home then I really gave it some throttle but soon after letting off it bogged down again. So, I then gravity feed it until I ran out of gas then I had trouble siphoning fuel out of the tank lines into the bottle but it didn't work, so I then disconnected the fuel line from the fuel valve that i was sucking the fuel through and noticed I was then getting fuel out it the main tank lines without the valve on it, so I then connected that line directly into the pump and it worked! So you're probably thinking the same thing, the fuel valve is screwed up but no. That eliminates the chance of the fuel valve being clogged up or broken. Another few kms and it then died again. At this point I said screw it and got a tow home. Once I got it home, I clicked the start button and it started like nothing happened.

I have a strong feeling that its the fuel pump as even when I did start to pump again it was a very small amount and If I'm remembering right the pumps are know to go bad on these machines. Just made this post to see if anyone else had any other ideas and if anyone knows if there are any better pumps better than the oem ones.

Thanks in advance!

(Quad is a 2005 outlander 400XT)

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
2,206 Posts
I mean, if the factory pump has done its job for 15 years now, what's the argument to not just go right back with one? They're, what, $40?

Just about everything the gas touches on that thing, could probably stand a refresh/replace, and is cheap enough to justify the peace of mind.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mean, if the factory pump has done its job for 15 years now, what's the argument to not just go right back with one? They're, what, $40?

Just about everything the gas touches on that thing, could probably stand a refresh/replace, and is cheap enough to justify the peace of mind.
I'm almost %100 sure that the lines have all been replaced as the fuel lines are in too good of shape for the year. I did have to replace one line that was too short and was being kinked with some crappy line so I think ill just order some good stuff to replace it as its already starting to go hard, typical canadian tire products.

Off topic but Do you know where I can buy a new flywheel sensor o-ring? I looked on the parts diagram and I don't see it anywhere on there. Just hate how oil is leaking all over the motor.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, A new fuel pump is $70! guess its worth it but I'm wondering if I should order the newer 2007 pump style or just use the same 2005 style.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
2,206 Posts
Well, A new fuel pump is $70! guess its worth it but I'm wondering if I should order the newer 2007 pump style or just use the same 2005 style.
Yikes! I've seen 'em as cheap as like $10 on ebay/amazon. Not real sure what quality you're getting for that cheap a price, but I mean it's just a simple vacuum pump, for lack of a better term. Come to think of it, I think I got one of those cheap ones way back when I was first exorcising all my fuel system demons. Must've run that thing for 2+yrs....

Reactions: Jungleman

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
2,206 Posts
I'm almost %100 sure that the lines have all been replaced as the fuel lines are in too good of shape for the year. I did have to replace one line that was too short and was being kinked with some crappy line so I think ill just order some good stuff to replace it as its already starting to go hard, typical canadian tire products.

Off topic but Do you know where I can buy a new flywheel sensor o-ring? I looked on the parts diagram and I don't see it anywhere on there. Just hate how oil is leaking all over the motor.
Can you bring the sensor to a local rubber house and see if you can't maybe just eyeball a good o-ring to fit?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yikes! I've seen 'em as cheap as like $10 on ebay/amazon. Not real sure what quality you're getting for that cheap a price, but I mean it's just a simple vacuum pump, for lack of a better term. Come to think of it, I think I got one of those cheap ones way back when I was first exorcising all my fuel system demons. Must've run that thing for 2+yrs....
Its the stock mikuni pump, I found one on fortnine for $35 CAD (my kind of price) but im not too sure if its the exact one so I'm going to be giving them a call as it doesn't say much about it.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Just fyi
This one has been good to me
on my 07 400....

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just fyi
This one has been good to me
on my 07 400....

Thanks jungleman, want to get a part thats someone has used for a while just to make sure its reliable.

Although, I just made a discovery. I was looking around and I noticed that the 2005 pump is the same as all the other carburetor style canams when looking on the part diagrams. The pump that was on my quad is a mikuni pump and is the shape of a rectangle and not a circle like the pump they came with from factory so I guess somebodyhas changed it out before. I thought the 05 pumps were all like mine (the mikuni) and they updated them to the circle style in 2006, guess not. The mikuni pump doesn't look new so it has probably been in there for quite a few years, pretty sure the diaphram has gone it'll it. The mikuni pump is in many single carb skidoos but never came in the quads, thats explains why no website says that it fits on my quad.

Not too sure but I may just buy the same mikuni pump i took out as shipping time will be faster and the part is half the price of almost all eBay prices of the OEM one. Also, the mikuni pump seems a little higher quality than the plastic one.

Let me know what you guys think i should do, I'm cheap so if I can save a few nickles and dimes without it biting me in the ass in the end ill be happy.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
The description on the one I got isnt in that ad but you can read it here in this one,

Yeah I found out some ski doo parts also fit our outlanders too. Nothing wrong with the mikuni pumps. As long as it fits itll work.
Thats actually a new one on me. Never saw a rectangle one but I was searching 2007 pumps so maybe thats why.
Love to see it if you think to take a pic when you do it.

The mikuni was pushing $70 bucks, the hfp283 was $35 or so and I found it for $30.
There was something about the $12 pumps not being compatible with ethanol which is an issue here so I decided to cheap out a little and go with the quantum after doing more research.

Its been in since march last year and no problems runs great.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Well now that Im looking, like other ski doo parts Ive seen and used, I like the metal, and the rebuildability of that rectangle pump.

I only went with the round style because the mikuni that was on mine was the round one.

Its sealed, no way I could tell to easily get it apart and check it or rebuild it.

If it ever goes out I'll try the metal pump next time. I hate all this throwaway plastic stuff.
Just one question, it looks like theres two part numbers
DF44-227 and DF44-211 can you let me know which one you went with and if it matters and how it works for future reference?
Thanks

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well now that Im looking, like other ski doo parts Ive seen and used, I like the metal, and the rebuildability of that rectangle pump.

I only went with the round style because the mikuni that was on mine was the round one.
View attachment 98299
Its sealed, no way I could tell to easily get it apart and check it or rebuild it.

If it ever goes out I'll try the metal pump next time. I hate all this throwaway plastic stuff.
Just one question, it looks like theres two part numbers
DF44-227 and DF44-211 can you let me know which one you went with and if it matters and how it works for future reference?
Thanks

View attachment 98300

View attachment 98301
The DF 44-221 Is the exact one I took off and I'm replacing it with the DF 44-227 as I found it for $33 CAD. Not sure about the 221 but the 227 can push out 14 litres per hour and has a 1/4 inch outlet so it'll work. I'll take some pics for you today of the one I took out and the new 227 when it arrives, its just a basic pump so pretty much anything will work but I'd like to get one i can trust. Don't know the diffrence between the 221 and 227 though, maybe just a newer version?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Yeah didnt do more research but probably same thing/superceded number.

Saw pics and specs.
Like the idea of metal and rebuild kits.
If and when mine ever fails I'll give it a try.
Thanks for the heads up. Wish Id known about them last year.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not saying it's not the fuel pump but have you cleaned the screen above the needle and seat on the carb fuel inlet. It sounds suspiciously like the problem that I was having.

Regards,
Tote

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Not saying it's not the fuel pump but have you cleaned the screen above the needle and seat on the carb fuel inlet. It sounds suspiciously like the problem that I was having.

Regards,
Tote
Yep, good point.
Skipped that part because he gravity fed it.

But yeah if you still have issues after the new pump let us know.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Regards,
Tote
Thats a really good point but I dont think it is as i have a good quality fuel filter and I stuck clear lines on it and it wasn't sucking fuel up the lines, even if it was plugged fuel would have been sucked up through regardless, just wouldn't make it into the bowl very fast.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts