Can-Am ATV Forum banner

Outlander 400 XT no spark

4K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  Ducvet 
#1 ·
Hello, last year I had performance problems. So I decided to install a new fuel pump and a carburetor. I started it 3 weeks ago. So after changing parts bike cranks but want to start at all and i check fire and have no spark..

Idea?

#3 ·
If the battery is hot enough to roll the motor over, it's hot enough to provide spark. Will that bike turnover with the kill switch thrown?

Check your wiring under the ignition switch, I bought a CDI for mine when PO sold it as "no spark/needs CDI", before discovering rodents had chewed out the wiring behind the ignition switch.

#4 ·
The battery had enough juice until several attempts to start. I will fully charged it. I ordered a new ignition coil with wire. When you talk about the kill switch on my outlander there is not really button?? all done with the key??

I will check under the ignition to see I would be surprised I started it 3 weeks ago..

#5 ·
When you talk about the kill switch on my outlander there is not really button??
On the LH multi-function switch, the red slider button, that's your kill switch. If it got slid on accident, well I'm not sure the bike would even attempt to start, but that could explain the lack of spark, if it could/did

Reactions: Lambe
#6 ·
Update!!

I installed the wire and the spark plug it starts on the first pull of the starter. I bought a new carburetor and I definitely see the difference in performance. However, the adjustment screw has not yet been adjusted. If I increase the choke, it gains in performance as there is a lack of gasoline. Anyone know the exact adjustment for carburator?

I did the test of removing the gas cap to see if the gas tank vent is clogged no change so I assume the vent is not clogged.

#7 ·
IIRC, Jungleman did a fair bit of carburetor work on his 400, check his thread(s)

Reactions: Lambe
#11 ·
Are you sure that's an adjustment? You can order "tamper proof" bit sets on Amazon BUT that type is typically used when you don't want someone to adjust it.

What type of carb is that?

Do you have a c-clip on the needle?

What size main JET is in there?

What size pilot jet is in there?

What size jets are in your factory carb?

Jets are found inside the bowl.

You will need to run the bike then pull the spark plug. If it's white - too lean. If it's black or dark brown it's too rich.

Another simple test is to pull the lid off the air box. Does this "improve" things"? If so your running too rich.

If you say applying the choke helps that kinda tells me it's running too lean because the choke is restricting air flow. A plug reading is the only way to know.

Well - or a wide band O2 sensor. 🤔

PULL THE JETS

hope this helps

#13 ·
Update

VTT hasn't been this good in quite a while.

The only problem now is that when I put the plastic cover on the air inlet it goes really badly and when I drive without it goes really well? As if it lacked air with the cover in place

I think someone can help me with this thanks

#14 ·
Check for critter nests blocking the airbox "snorkel" (such as it is)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.