Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This spring when I started her up and went out in the woods, I notices that she would not accelerate like she should. When starting off from stop up a little hill engine would not accelerate and ATV would not go. Down hill backward was fine, but would not pull itself uphill. It did set with treated gas in it all winter. I am wondering if the fuel filter needs replacing. The ATV is a 2008 but it only has 208 hours on the engine. The engine noise seems a little off from what I remember from last fall. It seems to have a few more knocks that before. Valves have never been adjusted.

Thanks in advance for any help you might provide.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can am outlander 500 won't acelerate

In neutral it will rev up some but sluggish. On flat road ATV will move out up to 25 or so maybe a little more in low gear. I think it used to go 35 or 40, it has been a while.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Could be the fuel pump, mine was super sluggish when the fuel pump was bad

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
can am outlander 500 won't acelerate

Did you verify fuel pump was bad by checking fuel pressure to filter was about 51 psi???

·
Registered
557 Posts
Yes, except my renegade doesn't have any inline filters, so I just took the fuel line off

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
can am outlander won't acelerate

I checked fuel pressure after fuel filter and it registered about 51 psi, so looks like my problem is something other than filter or fuel pump, unless the fuel pump comes and goes. It seem to run better when gas cap was loosened. I did verify the gas tank vent inlet check valve would pass air in the right direction.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Spark plugs may need replacing. Also, check your air filter. Running some Seafoam through it wouldn't hurt either to make sure you fuel system is nice and clean.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Did you check the air box to make sure a mouse didn't make a nest in there I see this a lot in sleds and atvs when they are stored. I had one sled with the air box full of acorns. They also like to chew up air filters for their nests.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Problem solved> Adjusted valves (3 of 8 a little too much gap). and replaced spark plugs. Can't say for sure which solved problem, but considering the small adjustment needed to the valves I'm leaning toward the plugs as the culprit. On the other hand the old ones didn't look bad either.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Glad to hear you've got the issue resolved. Back to enjoying your ride again. ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok need help ASAP please!! 08 outlander was running rough, did a pressure test and it was at 40 psi full throttle and ran ok but at half throttle is was 35 psi and ran bad So I change out the fuel pump. Got it from O'Reillys part number e8213 but it in and did another test and it's reading 95-100 psi now. Why? Suppose to be only 50-51. Will running it at 100 psi hurt anything ?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Regulator seems to be the issue. Most fuel pumps will pump out more than 50 psi but the regulator is supposed to stop it at 50. Might be best off just changing the entire fuel pump assembly. To make sure everything is fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts