Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I bought used 2015 Outlander 500 XT.
The throttle response is really slow on the bottom, the top seems fine.

I have changed the spark plugs, battery and the belt, but still the same. Any advice on what to check?

The engine has 500 hours on it. Is it time to change pistons?

Was thinking of going for a big bore kit. Any advice on that? Or is there more simpler items to put on to get little more power out of it?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Those gen 2 500s were pretty doggy on the bottom end. The extra weight of the g2 chassis combined with an already weak bottom end was not a great combo. You could try some clutch work or maybe a cv clutch as that can help, but your best option maybe a big bore kit.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Wow. You were reading my mind. I was thinking of starting a post like this the other day. I was thinking the same thing. I'm the original owner of a 15 outy 500 XT and I rode a friends 650XT the other day and I couldn't believe the low end response... I use low gear about 40% of the time maybe even more just to get the RPMs because taking off in HIGH gear I feel like I'm burning the hell out of the belt revving up to 3400 before I get going sometimes..

I was thinking of adding an EPI clutch kit. A friend of mine put a EPI Performance Sport Utility kit in his Polaris 570 with 28 inch tires compared to 26 stock and he says it has more power to the ground than it did with stock clutching and 26 inch tires.

·
Registered
68 Posts
What kind of clutch issues?

I replaced my belt once before. I smoked it trying to pull someone out, I knew it was going to happen too.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Weak springs, broken/ flat rollers, bad levers.

A weak secondary spring would cause it to be in "too high a gear".

Original brp belt?

·
Registered
797 Posts
500 hrs for sure put new springs in and completely clean clutches. Throw a new belt in, but like stated above 500 we're pooches off the line. Throw a cvtech primary on if want more snap off the line, best $350 you can spend

·
Registered
68 Posts

Original brp belt?
Oh okay. I honestly don’t know much about how the clutching works besides it’s a primary and secondary that the belt rides on with some springs. Maybe I should do a clutch kit to freshen some things up in there...

I put a gates belt on it. Their strongest belt they offered. I felt like when I put it on there it grabbed a little better but nothing crazy.

·
Registered
2016 Can-Am Outlander MAX XT 650
125 Posts
Oh okay. I honestly don’t know much about how the clutching works besides it’s a primary and secondary that the belt rides on with some springs. Maybe I should do a clutch kit to freshen some things up in there...

I put a gates belt on it. Their strongest belt they offered. I felt like when I put it on there it grabbed a little better but nothing crazy.
The Gates Redline belt?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Can-Am Outlander MAX XT 650
125 Posts
I want to say yes. It’s been a few years since I did it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it's been a few years, then it's definitely not the redline since it was launched last year. It must've been the Gates Carbon one. The Redline is now their top of the line offering by the way. Much better than the Carbon.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If it's been a few years, then it's definitely not the redline since it was launched last year. It must've been the Gates Carbon one. The Redline is now their top of the line offering by the way. Much better than the Carbon.

Interesting... I know for a fact when in bought it, there were two options and I got the higher one. I thought it had Kevlar in it or something I’m almost positive, grabs better than stock I’ll say that. But I think a clutch kit is in order for me. I need some more low end grab

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
500 hrs for sure put new springs in and completely clean clutches. Throw a new belt in, but like stated above 500 we're pooches off the line. Throw a cvtech primary on if want more snap off the line, best $350 you can spend

Thanks! Any advice on aftermarket springs / belt ? Or should I stick to OEM?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Original brp belt?
Yes original belt. Any advice on aftermarket belt?
How can I know if my springs are actually weak or not?

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Yes original belt. Any advice on aftermarket belt?
How can I know if my springs are actually weak or not?
There is a machine to test them but most just replace them. Not all that expensive.

In 18000kms I've used both gates kevlar and gates carbon belts. I have the oem brp belt on there now so that will tell you something.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Thanks! Any advice on aftermarket springs / belt ? Or should I stick to OEM?

For belt oem and gates carbon are both good belts. For springs you can always just replace with oem springs. As far as clutch kits not sure on that, I put a cvtech on my 570 and it was a big improvement.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Gates carbon on mine and my buds 1000s.

Both cracked on inner cogs. Junk

1 - 20 of 34 Posts