Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I just reached 10hrs on my Outlander 500L DPS.
This little quad rocks!!!

My question is that since it hit 10hrs, the display shows " Maintenance Required". I normally do all my own oil changes but I believe I need to
bring it in to the dealer so they can check and change fluids and clear the
display screen.
What should I expect from the dealer as far as cost?

Thanks for any info,

·
Registered
167 Posts
Prices vary, but I've heard people say to expect around $250 +/-. When I buy one, I might try to negotiate in that first service.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yea same here $200 and I brought my own oil..

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
You can always ask what it would cost and go fom there. I was given a reminder notice when I picked up my bike, showed what was to be done and the cost. That was the last time it seen the BRP shop. If your comfortable doing your own vehicle maintenance, buy the supplies from the shop, keep the receipts to prove you did the maintenance should you ever need to and do it yourself.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hey guys,
I just reached 10hrs on my Outlander 500L DPS.
This little quad rocks!!!

My question is that since it hit 10hrs, the display shows " Maintenance Required". I normally do all my own oil changes but I believe I need to
bring it in to the dealer so they can check and change fluids and clear the
display screen.
What should I expect from the dealer as far as cost?

Thanks for any info,
Change your own fluids, filter, etc. like you normally do. Then call the dealer and ask how much to clear the message. I wouldn't pay more than $20. I had the message on my '09 for 5 years. It's annoying but you learn to ignore it.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I never noticed the message on my Outty 800. I guess I'll have to look the next time I'm on it.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I did my own 10hr service(well 14hr really) cost me 70.00 with all synthetic fluid and cam am oil filter(12.00 alone) My message never popped up till 50hrs and im at 63 hours now and still have the message. Im gonna do the valves this summer so I might have them clear it then. The kid that sold me my can am(his dad owns the dealer) we have mutual friends so maybe I can convince him to clear it for free. Id do the work yourself and then call them about clearing the message.. As far as the dealer doing it most dealers will charge you no less than 200 for all. I've heard as much as 400.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Just called my dealer today as my service message just popped up. Real easy to move the code. Mine came on right at 10 hours.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Any dealer that you get to reduce the price will most likely reduce the effort they put in and maybe not even change some of the fluids. I don't trust them!

·
Registered
42 Posts
How do you guys get your service so damn cheap? The dealership I bought my bike from wants 700 dollars. I came very close to telling them they're nuts. The other place wants 450. Both prices includes valves at least. Ill do my own services but let them do the 10 hour. Lucky you guys...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Considering when I went to my dealer and asked what can am recomends i put in my machine for gear oil the mechanic told me any 70w/90 all around and in the gear box I actually corrected him since I knew because of what the manual said. That out a sour taste in my mouth and I will be doing all my own service work from here out. I was shocked by this mechanics answer.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I did my own 10 hour service. I'd hate to think what the dealer would charge considering it was $180 for the oil change kit, two bottles of gear oil and a tube of grease!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yep, $400 here. Valve adjustment and full synthetics.

·
Registered
297 Posts
My dealerhip has a prepaid maintanance plan that includes the 10,25,50, and 75 hour service for $799 that has to be done in two years or the add the 100 and 125 hour service to the four that has to be done in three years for $1299.

Would it be worth paying?

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
My dealerhip has a prepaid maintanance plan that includes the 10,25,50, and 75 hour service for $799 that has to be done in two years or the add the 100 and 125 hour service to the four that has to be done in three years for $1299.

Would it be worth paying?
While that price is less then what you or I would pay for the materials alone (from the dealer), I would be wondering where they are cutting corners. takes a lot of time to preform the maintenance even if your a BRP trained mechanic so I can't see that being very profitable for them unless there are huge hidden costs they didn't tell you about.

IMHO. I would run from that deal.

·
Registered
153 Posts
That seems like a lot. Other then the oil and grease that's really the only parts your being charged for. The rest of the cost is their outrageous labor rates. Think about it all it comes down to is a very detailed inspection of the bike. Yes I know it takes awhile but some of these dealers are really ripping people off. Example one dealer I spoke to wanted 357.00 for 10 hr service then there was tax and parts. They also wanted another 25.00 to clear the service message. They already have to hook up the BUDS anyway so they are just ripping you off. The dealer I went to charged me 180 bucks and programed both my keys for 100% power and changed the name on the dash. I asked him why the prices for the service very so much between dealers and he told me some dealers are not exactly honest. Haha really!!! Scumbags!!!!!

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
A little bit more then a detailed inspection...

I do my own maintenance, it does take quite a while.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Could you explain " set the key to 100% power"? Can I have the dealer do that to my 2015 unit? Just wondering as they didn't tell me about that option when I took mine in.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts