Can-Am ATV Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
OK, the key isn't programmed. The ECM is programmed to accept the key. The ECM can have several keys stored on it. At one time I had my key loaded to my brothers bike, and his key loaded to my bike so we would have an emergency spare, or be able to move each others bikes.
Second thing, the ignition switch. Make sure the parts guys look this up by vin code. The parts guy tried to match one up for me by comparing against the old switch. He showed me one that he had in stock that looked identical to the one off my bike, but it was not the part number for my vin. We installed it and it was not the same electrically and would not work on the bike. Ordered the one that the parts catalog specified for my vin and viola it worked when it came in...
Hope this helps someone with their troubleshooting..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So in order for me to have a new key made to work on my machine, I could just take my ECM to someone and have them program a new key to match my ECM? I have it pretty torn down looking for the cause of my problem. I have a feeling that I should try a new key, if it doesn’t fix it, I will at least have a spare key once it is fixed. I’d like to mail off the ECM, as the closest dealer aside from the one town is a 2 hour drive. I don’t wanna put the ATV back together until I have the problem solved.

Parts guy verified the PN for the ignition switch when I ordered it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The programming is done with a laptop that hooks up to the bike. So you need the bike and the new key to do this. I don't know if they can hook up directly to the ECM. A spare key is always a good idea, I think they are only about $35 bucks and my dealer programs them with the purchase.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
What I’m trying trying figure out is if anyone has sent their ECM off to a dealer. And then had they dealer install their ECM into a different machine that is the same make and model. Programming a key to that machine (ECM) and then mailing back their ECM and a new key that matches up with it.

I don’t see why this would be a problem. Unless there is something else in the machine that communicate and with the key. I doubt that’s the case, but I don’t know for sure. Maybe the gauge pod as well?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
so a new wiring harness has been installed, both engine and accessory harness. after that the machine was still dead to the world. i have since installed a new ECM, and everything has woken up. however, my fuel injectors are next getting signal to spray. all the lights function properly, the fuel pump primes, and i have spark. everything is as it should be. im just not getting a fuel through the injectors.

so im wondering if the gauge pod has to be programmed with the ECM? i have read somewhere once that it was thought that the key, ECM, and gauge pod all had to be programmed together? does this sound accurate to anyone? or could it be something more simple that i am over looking?

21 - 25 of 25 Posts