Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all,
Im a single guy looking to up date my little 500 I definitely want an 850XT-P and leaning towards the max. I know 8 more inches of room for hunting gear is a big plus, so does that 8” make it that much smoother of a ride?? Convince me I’m right!!!! Lol

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
lol well I don't know about the max chassis contributing to any smoother a ride, but it sure is more stable climbing/descending, if you do a lot of that.

But yeah certainly as you mentioned, the extra room for gear is never wasted.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More stable going up or down is a major plus. I thought the long the wheel base the better the ride, as in bridging the bumps together ????

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I get what you're thinking, but I mean, you can fine tune your suspension using better shocks, playing with tire pressures, etc. I don't really give the max chassis much credit for riding smoother

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hear ya, I’m an alignment guy so yeah I can work with the shocks and stuff,getting away from the crappy motion control shocks alone should be a huge improvement over what I got now !!! But don’t really think I’ll really ever use the seat but I guess you never know .

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
On bumpy trails cause by puddle washout, when you ride a ATV with a different wheelbase, it tends to get out of the cycle created by the majority of (1 up) ATV's. I find my max a much nicer ride then a 1 up.

·
Registered
156 Posts
You know hillsdweller, I've owned both the Outlander and Outlander Max, and I really prefer the handling and overall feel of the regular Outlander over the Outlander Max. In my opinion it feels more sporty. I also like the shorter wheelbase because it is easier to lift the front end for trail obstacles. The Outlander Max is a little better on steep climbs because it can keep the front end down easier, but it is a little worse on steep climbs because it spins the rear tires easier. So kind of a tradeoff, but overall the Max is a little better on steep climbs. For ride quality, you are correct, the Outlander Max does smooth out trail chop just a little bit better because of its longer wheelbase. But you gain a very slightly smoother ride while losing some of the sporty feel, so again, another tradeoff.

I had gone for about six months without an ATV, but with two UTVs, and recently decided to add an ATV again. I could have bought either the Outlander or the Outlander Max, and I chose to get the Outlander. And I'm super happy with it. In the end they are both great ATVs, and I'm sure you will be satisfied with either one. The Outlander is more fun though.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And another good point , never thought about that (being more sporty) hum...... now that’s why I’m asking . And another thing do the new ones soak your right foot when you hit water puddles like my 14 does??
Also I do have both renagade 500 and my beloved outlander 500 yeah the renny is on a rail and a lot more sporty but I like my outlander better. So that’s what I’m going to replace it with. And when I get my outlander loaded down with tree stand, bow and all the other junk I drag off into the woods With me she’s loaded!!! Lol 8 more inches of room would be nice.

·
Registered
485 Posts
i have a max and use it for trail riding with my wife, and for hunting.. that extra length came in handy a couple years ago when i strapped an 8 pointer on the back. Got lots of looks having it in the bed of my truck with the buck strapped onto the rear cargo rack lol

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a max and find it very stable. Haven’t taken it hunting yet, but will in October, so long as things are mostly back to normal and whether or not hunting season is affected by Coronavirus.

·
Premium Member
2020 Can Am Outlander XMR 1000r Max
63 Posts
I have the outty 1000r MAX for a workhorse and pleasure riding. It pulls and it carries about anything I want. Only drawbacks are bottoming out on some tall mounds between the wheels and being so heavy. 1014lbs dry weight is not easy if stuck in a hole. Otherwise I love it. Seems a bit more stable at high speed too. Having the second seat is a plus for bringing along a good looking sweetie too!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well I can’t vouch for Outlander vs Max but I did trade a nice Rincon in on our new 850 max and we love it. Wife enjoys her new seat which is forward of the rear axle. Bike definitely rides smoother. It’s also heavier and more stable. We ride sand trails in the forest and the Max is plenty sporty. It’s does 70mph! How could it not be. Highly recommended!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts