Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 2019 xrs max on its maiden voyage this last weekend, all stock. It ran great for 60 miles before throwing a p0302 at 6500rpm, every time. I was running in the sand. I pulled the plugs to check for too much antisieze and cleaned off the lower portion of the threads, no change. I understand that it could be a burned belt causing my issue even though I did break it in. My question is; will the engine backfire and bog as the belt slips? I get backfiring and bogging at 6500rpm like a rev limiter then the check engine light and limp mode. I just want to verify that a burned belt can act up this way before tearing into it. Thank you for any answers in advance.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
The belt should not be any reason a code shows up. It would be more likely that there is a bad spark plug connection or wire, a bad coil or some other electrical issue.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
My first thought was that's also a very specific and repetitive issue for a belt/clutch issue to be responsible for. There's way too many moving parts and variables to that rubber-on-sheave relationship to get that kind of consistent behavior. Something else is going on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I spoke with the tech from the place I bought the machine, he was positive over the phone that the belt was the issue. It’s under warranty but I don’t trust them not to blame the belt regardless of the problem just to not cover the repairs. I ordered new plugs and will change my belt this weekend. I will also swap coils to see if the problem goes with. I was just curious if the x3 will actually backfire and sputter when the belt slips and throws a code or does the code just appear with no symptoms? I definitely have backfiring before the limp mode comes up. I know that the code is coming seconds before it shows. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Afaik, there's no "big brother" systems on that bike. If the belt's slipping to the point of allowing the motor to hit the rev-limiter, that's the only thing that would stop the engine rpm.

Yours cutting out at 6500 has nothing to do with the belt, says I.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Solved

I ended up swapping spark plugs and gapping them to .020”. I also swapped coils 2 and 3. The old plug electrodes looked fine but there was rust around the hex of plug 2 and moisture around the coil boot. Never been in water or even washed. Anyhow, the car is back to normal. Thank you for your input on my issue. (Same belt)

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
You're not the first I've read of that's had coil/plug/wire issues with brand new machines. Really odd, certainly not something you'd immediately think to go digging into

1 - 7 of 7 Posts