Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today i whent to try n take the scuffs from branches off the black plactic on my brandnew xmr. I used a product that we use at work called buff magic, instantly it dulled the paint very bad. So i tried polish wax and it didnt bring it back, tried the polish on a new area ant it dulled there also. Any one use a product that makes and keeps these plastics shiny again. I kno its an atv but i still would like to keep it looking good for as long as possible

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Haven't found anything yet...but you do know that the xmr's plastics aren't painted...that made be why it dulled them if the product isn't for nonpainted plastics...in fact I thought the SC1 dulled the black...

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not painted?? I coulda sworn the website said they were painted plastics, or atleast cleared to get the shine because the underside is a flat color. Eather way i want it to shine again lol

·
Registered
297 Posts
Is the buff magic a compound for fiberglass? I know the white is painted with a clear coat. What color is your quad?

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
The only models that are painted are the xt-p, limited models, and some of the xt models. Thats one of the selling points to these models...but the xmr is not painted...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Im not sure about the plastics being painted but i would try SC1 i spilled some gas on my plastics and it dulled a little bit but after a few times of washing it and using the SC1 it started to bring the shine back. I think the trick to this stuff is let it sit on the bike in the shade or in a garage. That way it doesnt dry too quickly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Use about 2-3 cans of foaming tire shine after every wash and let it dry in the sun, just don't spray the gauges

·
Registered
62 Posts
It's a polishing compound, likely is abrasive and scratched the plastic.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea buff magic is a compound. But its not gritty so i thought it would be safe, apparently not. I spilt gas in the plastic and it dulled. Ill try sc1. Where do i buy it, autozone?

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
shiney

I use WD40 on mine!
I kind of gave up and realized it will always be dirty looking.
I wash it but do not go nuts anymore just try to take the heavy stuff off!
The reason I originally bought ATV's was to keep my Jeep clean! lol

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Yea buff magic is a compound. But its not gritty so i thought it would be safe, apparently not. I spilt gas in the plastic and it dulled. Ill try sc1. Where do i buy it, autozone?
Try a small place on your plastics with sc1 before u spray the entire bike...when I used it, I thought it dulled the plastics....maybe I didn't apply it correctly?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I use WD40 on mine!
I kind of gave up and realized it will always be dirty looking.
I wash it but do not go nuts anymore just try to take the heavy stuff off!
The reason I originally bought ATV's was to keep my Jeep clean! lol

WD40? I tried that to remove one of the warning stickers..dulled the plastic where ever it touched.. (Gray Plastic on L 500)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Fallow this before polishing your bike. Any questions I will gladly help guys.

I own an xmr aswell
And I a professional autobody tech.
Take good precautions when polishing plastics on your bike.
If you use a power polisher.
You may burn the plastic from the high rpm of polishing with that power polisher.
Air tools can be turned down to go slower.
For plastics use a liquid polish.
And move that power polisher around lots to evenly distribute the heat. You will warp your nice machine.

Sent from Mars

·
Registered
69 Posts
Something is up with those plastics because I have the 15 xmr 800 and when I took my warning stickers off I used Goo-Gone and it faded my plastics. I used Goo-Gone on everything in the past and never did anything. So I found it odd that it faded these plastics on the 800 xmr.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Something is up with those plastics because I have the 15 xmr 800 and when I took my warning stickers off I used Goo-Gone and it faded my plastics. I used Goo-Gone on everything in the past and never did anything. So I found it odd that it faded these plastics on the 800 xmr.
Goo gone = garbage that shit just makes a mess

Sent from Mars

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I use acetone to take off stickers. It will dull the plastic some but not much. The plastic can am uses is shit. After 100 miles, it will look like shit anyway, so it doesn't matter what you do.
I use tire shine on the whole bike, every nook and cranny. Works great.
Also if you want it to stay looking great, get a graphic kit.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I was going to take the stickers off mine but I didn't want to wreck the paint. I use spray wax on my bike after every ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Peel them off in the cold very slow. The glue will stay with the sticker... if there is any glue left on the bike use a kleenex soaked with baby oil and let it set on the spots for a good while ( a couple beers) then start to wipe with the same soaked Kleenex..... done.. and drunk...lol

1 - 20 of 35 Posts