Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that CanAm is offering this option for the 2020 models. I wonder if this will work on older models?

Always thought this should be standard equipment on the Defender. Would be a nice option when you have to stop to open gates, park on an incline...etc.

Who wants to be the guinea pig and order one and see if it works on pre-2020 Defenders? haha

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In this video, at about the 3:25 mark he makes a quick comment......”option you can add to other models”. I think I’ll add this to my future purchase/project list.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thought I’d update this. I contacted BRP asking if this would work on older models. No go. Here’s the response:

In answer to your question, this parking brake option part #715004733 is only available for 2020 units. I have sent your suggestions to my colleagues for their information.

Anyways, saw an aftermarket brake on eBay, so maybe I’ll take a chance on it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Did you pull the trigger and test the aftermarket option on ebay? I just picked up a 2019 defender this last weekend from a rental place. Needs some work and is bone stock, so hope to add some custom touches over time. Had it in my driveway to wash. My kids were climbing all over it and despite telling them to leave all the controls alone, while I was talking to my neighbor my 8 year old pulled the shift lever into neutral and it started rolling down my slopped driveway. I really wished it had a parking brake. Started looking around and see companies make them for other models (commander and maverick) and saw the aftermarket setup described here, so thought I'd see if anyone has tried it?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did buy the one on eBay. It works as intended, but is a little quirky...I gotta make sure when I tap the brake peddle to release it, that the lever is fully disengaged. Because of this, I really only use it when I’m tying down the machine on my trailer. Helps to keep it from rolling when I’m cinching down the straps. Otherwise, it works ok, a little over priced for what it really is. Can’t say I’m 100% happy with the performance. Wish the OEM would fit my 2017.

The one Thadp looks to be a bit better, but the older models have a different brake pedal set up and I‘d have to replace everything....not worth it! Lol

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had it in my driveway to wash. My kids were climbing all over it and despite telling them to leave all the controls alone, while I was talking to my neighbor my 8 year old pulled the shift lever into neutral and it started rolling down my slopped driveway.
Had a similar situation, but it was all on me....lol

After coming back from a day out riding, I was removing the tie down straps and suddenly my Defender started rolling backward off the trailer! Luckily I had the trailer ramp gate still up and it stopped it! Otherwise it would have rolled right off the trailer into the front of my neighbors truck! 😩 Not sure how it ended up in Neutral, but there it was. Obviously I did it but don’t remember.....now when I’m unloading I make sure it’s in Park before I lower the trailer gate! Lol

·
Registered
131 Posts
It seems like it would be a huge safety issue to not have it. We will see how hard it is to install this after market unit.....

·
Registered
131 Posts
I called the number on the website and spoke to "Dalton" in parts dept. It appears it will fit earlier models but I would ask.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I called the number on the website and spoke to "Dalton" in parts dept. It appears it will fit earlier models but I would ask.
I found this kit listed from them on eBay. It lists including a different brake pedal to work.....

·
Registered
131 Posts
Parts showed up today and require a pair of split ring pliers, If I get time I’ll work on it tonight after work. Looks pretty easy to install. (Famous last words around here)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Will you please reach out to me and let me know your thoughts on this when you get it and have done the install? I'm really thinking about it but it would be nice to know what someone thinks who's got first hand experience
Parts showed up today and require a pair of split ring pliers, If I get time I’ll work on it tonight after work. Looks pretty easy to install. (Famous last words around here)
I know what you're saying the mechanic at the rental place I picked up my machine from last weekend made it sound like aligning it after replacing the bent tie rod they did nothing about would be a breeze. Simple, but not quick. I think I have it tracking straight-ish. Enough that I'm going to tackle other issues before I ever decide to spend a whole night and part of the next day fidgeting with again

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm interested in the install, hopefully with some pictures. I want to see what the difference is in brake pedals between the different years (reason that it shows the two different kit options....)

·
Registered
131 Posts
In keeping with my usual projects the install went reasonably smooth till I broke the snap ring that completes the install. I hope to replace it today and finish, bloody knuckles and neck cramps and all. LOL!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts