Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Oxford blue 2022 Outlander 850 XT
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all !
Going for a long weekend ride (approx 600km) and I was thinking of some temporary device to rest my thumb occasionally 馃槈
I "invented" my own device !
Here's my little video !
Sorry don't know how to add a little video 馃が I would've like to show it in operation.
I cut a finger from a rubber/cotton glove, a zip-tie attached (loose for finger), a piece of string and voil脿. Honestly it's pretty cool 馃槑

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Hood Yellow

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Toy Automotive wheel system

Revolver Material property Automotive design Gas Electric blue

Tire Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Light

Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
Ha! neat!

Post your video on youtube then paste the link here (y)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lets see if it works !!

Try this please !!

Luc
Canada

Reactions: Tozguy

Registered
2021 Outlander 850 max XT-P
Click the share link within YouTube then copy link to clipboard.

Come back to the forum an paste the link.

This link comes up private for me

Super Moderator
2016 Outlander Max XT 650

Super Moderator
Reactions: Dirty Red Neck

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys for all the compliments 馃
Thanks Tozguy, that could be something to try next !!

Alright so just got back from my 587km in the deep woods in Nothern Quebec.
My setup works good on long straight roads but unfortunately when my finger started to get numb, my thumb wasn't ready yet for another treatment 馃ゴ. I did use it a few times though and I was glad.
As soon as we left the roads for the trails in the deep bush/woods trails, that thumb is the best for the tight quick and precise manoeuvres on the throttle lever. That's where I realized that I don't know I would be able to use a twist throttle when I am in extremely bumpy winding trails and at the same time you gotta play that thumb throttle 馃槼馃槼

Super Moderator
Thanks guys for all the compliments 馃
Thanks Tozguy, that could be something to try next !!

Alright so just got back from my 587km in the deep woods in Nothern Quebec.
My setup works good on long straight roads but unfortunately when my finger started to get numb, my thumb wasn't ready yet for another treatment 馃ゴ. I did use it a few times though and I was glad.
As soon as we left the roads for the trails in the deep bush/woods trails, that thumb is the best for the tight quick and precise manoeuvres on the throttle lever. That's where I realized that I don't know I would be able to use a twist throttle when I am in extremely bumpy winding trails and at the same time you gotta play that thumb throttle 馃槼馃槼
Thanks for the detailed feedback.

It seems the manufacturers of ATVs knew a thing or two about the best throttle setup and nailed it from the get go, but I am left pondering as to why dirt bikes, which can ride gnarly trails that ATVs ride, have twist throttles. Aren't they subjected to the same bumps and turns and knocks ATVs go through?

Registered
2021 Outlander Max 450 DPS
Just for the sake of discussion;
thumb throttles showed up early on snowmobiles maybe because they can be operated easily with heavy winter gloves or mitts. But they do not allow the thumb to wrap on the grip like a twist grip does.

Twist throttles allow for a full hand wrap around the handle bars. One can get a better hold on the bars than with the thumb throttle grip. They can be operated with insulated gloves but with much less finesse on the throttle. Motorcycles are usually operated in temps above freezing so wearing thin gloves or none at all is not a serious problem.

So throttle grips on snowmobiles in the winter and twist grips on motorcycles in the summer makes sense to me.
But what to put on quads ? The four season capability might dictate a thumb throttle. Chances are either thumb throttle or twist throttle could work well on an atv depending on how, when and where it is used. Maybe.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just wondering if you did much cruising at a constant speed?
Yes a bit !!
In the first part of the adventure, the first 197 KMs were divided in mixed types of terrain. Only maybe 70KM were just cruisin and again, were divided in 10-15 KM sections.

Reactions: Tozguy

Registered
17 outlander XMR
Just for the sake of discussion;
thumb throttles showed up early on snowmobiles maybe because they can be operated easily with heavy winter gloves or mitts. But they do not allow the thumb to wrap on the grip like a twist grip does.

Twist throttles allow for a full hand wrap around the handle bars. One can get a better hold on the bars than with the thumb throttle grip. They can be operated with insulated gloves but with much less finesse on the throttle. Motorcycles are usually operated in temps above freezing so wearing thin gloves or none at all is not a serious problem.

So throttle grips on snowmobiles in the winter and twist grips on motorcycles in the summer makes sense to me.
But what to put on quads ? The four season capability might dictate a thumb throttle. Chances are either thumb throttle or twist throttle could work well on an atv depending on how, when and where it is used. Maybe.
My XMR is the first quad I haven鈥檛 put a twist throttle on. I think what鈥檚 holding me back as of now is that I just put grip heaters on and haven鈥檛 researched enough to find a set that will work with my controller and a twist 馃槀

Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
Thanks for the detailed feedback.

It seems the manufacturers of ATVs knew a thing or two about the best throttle setup and nailed it from the get go, but I am left pondering as to why dirt bikes, which can ride gnarly trails that ATVs ride, have twist throttles. Aren't they subjected to the same bumps and turns and knocks ATVs go through?
It occurred to me, steering a dirt bike, is worlds easier/lighter, than muscling an atv front end. That probably explains the ability to get away with a twisty throttle on 'em

Reactions: xsever
1 - 19 of 19 Posts