Can-Am ATV Forum banner

181 - 200 of 242 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Jealous of you guys. We don’t have a lot of pick ups here in the UK.

I use a ford transit. In fact mine is due for replacement. I wanted the 3.5 eco boost like you guys get but the guy from ford say no .

2.0 is the biggest available! Crap eh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Got a 11 silverado 1500 5.3L, i haven’t tried putting my quad in the box with the wide 30” silverbacks but hopefully it still fits! Otherwise i’d have to use my 20ft equipment float which is obviously overkill for a atv.

On a side note a lot of nice trucks in here! I got a 3 inch lift kit for mine on the shelf and I’m getting some extended upper control arms for it before I put that in. Then it’s getting some 20x10 fuels!!

Attachments

·
Registered
738 Posts
rich have seen a ton of vans hauling quads around here too, you do what ever gets there is fine

heavy tires and lift are really not that great at towing, been there wont bother again. stock size after market wheels and bfg atkos, the best wheel setup for towing. my ava has air bags and kyb shocks to settle the ride, i live in a rural area that has crap roads everywhere.
i have three trailers now that i am older and have some toy money. i just used an old tent trailer to haul my quads forever but it sucked was way too low for the trail head trails around here, alot of them are tractor lanes. why i built the open trailer with dexter ez lube spring over axles, doesnt drag anything. the enclosed i use on long trips and keep the quad in it all the time, can hang up all the muddy crap before i get into the truck. its got 6.5 ceilings thats what i liked the most, im 6ft and none of the other trailers could i stand up in
my daughter and can change, really what i wanted. was while painting it with picnic table paint so the mud i can just hose o
out

·
Banned
193 Posts
The train.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
My 2007 F150 and my 7'x12' Hauler.

Attachments

·
Registered
738 Posts
pretty cool idea with the old sled tracks. i keep mine in it, so i painted everything with the cheap picnic table paint, its thick and only like 10 a gal

·
Registered
54 Posts
pretty cool idea with the old sled tracks. i keep mine in it, so i painted everything with the cheap picnic table paint, its thick and only like 10 a gal
Thanks buddy. I saw the need for something like that after our first time out, driving up the ramp with muddy tires and spinning out. Found the track for $40, cut it in half and screwed it down...works pretty good, but adds a good weight to the ramp when I pull it down.

I am seriously thinking about getting the floor done and about 12 inches up the wall in Line-X, should preserve the floor and make cleaning up a lot easier. I'll have to see how much that costs!

·
Registered
789 Posts
MuddyMike, I would have removed the metal studs from the track to reduce weight. I would also reset the tension springs on the ramp assist cables, this would give the ramp a more balanced weight when being opened & closed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
MuddyMike, I would have removed the metal studs from the track to reduce weight. I would also reset the tension springs on the ramp assist cables, this would give the ramp a more balanced weight when being opened & closed.
Thanks Woodchopper. I did attempt to remove those metal studs but, they were having nothing to do with that. I could get the nut off but the actual studs themselves are not budging. I did manage to cut one out with my jigsaw but holy man, what a PITA that was.

So how do I reset the tension springs? with the door open or closed? And am I loosening it off or making it tighter?

·
Registered
738 Posts
ive done it on a big truck once or twice, closed the spring is not tensioned as much, you put a certain pre load on it, see how it goes when it opens. find whats holding it, put something in it like a screwdriver or pry bar BEFORE you remove any bolt. put a few more turns on it in the opposite direction. just be careful they are tight would use a real heavy screwdriver or bar and dont get your self any where near it

·
Registered
71 Posts
My new tow rig.....

Attachments

·
Registered
789 Posts
Thanks Woodchopper. I did attempt to remove those metal studs but, they were having nothing to do with that. I could get the nut off but the actual studs themselves are not budging. I did manage to cut one out with my jigsaw but holy man, what a PITA that was.
So how do I reset the tension springs? with the door open or closed? And am I loosening it off or making it tighter?

Do not use a screwdriver or a pry bar to adjust the spring tension, too many things can go bad in a hurry. Get two pieces of round stock that fit snugly in the adjusting holes, mine are 1/2" od. With the door closed place one bar in an adjusting hole & hold the tension while you just loosen the set screws. Now still holding the first bar use the second bar in the next adjusting hole to tighten the spring one full turn, and tighten the set screws. You must use both bars to adjust the spring tension. Now try your ramp to see how balanced the weight is, repeat as needed.

·
Registered
54 Posts

Do not use a screwdriver or a pry bar to adjust the spring tension, too many things can go bad in a hurry. Get two pieces of round stock that fit snugly in the adjusting holes, mine are 1/2" od. With the door closed place one bar in an adjusting hole & hold the tension while you just loosen the set screws. Now still holding the first bar use the second bar in the next adjusting hole to tighten the spring one full turn, and tighten the set screws. You must use both bars to adjust the spring tension. Now try your ramp to see how balanced the weight is, repeat as needed.
Thanks Woodchopper, great explanation on how to do this. Seeing that at times I am a magnet for hurt and pain, I think I'm going to take it to my garage and let them fix the tension. The last thing I need is to hurt myself or someone else.

181 - 200 of 242 Posts