Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
So I just picked up a couple projects from this older guy that's moving to Florida... One of which was a traxter 500 xt. I bought an old Kawasaki three wheeler at first, and when loading it up he said he has a quad he will sell me very cheap, so I said sure I'm interested. He pulled the tarp off and there was a very nice traxter! I thought it was a steal at $150 so I couldn't pass it up. I asked no questions and just took it as I figured no matter what I couldn't go wrong for $150. The engine has a plate saying the motor was manufactured 03/2000. I got it home and took the seat off, and right away noticed that the top end was unbolted. I thought that was strange... So I popped off the cylinder head and realized it had no piston in it. No problem I thought to myself, I'll just order one... Well apparently that's a huge problem as I can't find a piston anywhere! I did find a used cylinder and piston from a 2005 John Deere buck, but it looks different.
So I'm wondering, does anyone know if I can use the cylinder and piston from the buck? My next question is, I found new pistons for a 2005, but they say they are 99mm and from my research, my 2000 is 89mm. Can my cylinder be bored out 10mm to accept the piston? Also would the pin that holds the piston to the connecting rod be the same size? I also have found other pistons from different brands of motors that are 89mm, would I be able to use one of them? I don't know what to do since I can't find the exact part I need. The quad is in very good shape, like it's hardly seen any use. The miles on it are extremely low also... So low I almost don't believe it. Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Hand tool Motor vehicle Automotive tire Yellow Wood

Font Wood Gas Commemorative plaque Number

Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

·
Admin
2020 Outlander XMR 1000r Max
2,047 Posts
Welcome to the site!
You are not the only one with this issue. there are other threads on looking for Traxter pistons. There are options available.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thank you. I'm trying to navigate the site now to find any threads that may point me in the right direction. I'd hate to part out the machine, I'd much rather get it running and use it on my property

·
Admin
2,047 Posts
Hi, thank you. I'm trying to navigate the site now to find any threads that may point me in the right direction. I'd hate to part out the machine, I'd much rather get it running and use it on my property

·
Admin
2,047 Posts
Here is a recent thread

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I found that one website, but it doesn't have any pistons available for sale, only the pin for the piston. I also found that thread, but it was very short. The person who started it needed a piston also and couldn't find one. He talked about how he found someone that could manufacture a batch and sell some but wasn't sure when that would happen with his schedule and then never posted anything after that

·
Super Moderator
2016 Outlander Max XT 650
1,760 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've found other 89mm pistons for other makes and models, but that's all I know about the other pistons... I don't know if the pin hight/stroke would be too low or too high, or if the pins would be the same size for the rod. I'm assuming it has to be possible to use a different available piston, like how when people turn their motors on their vehicles into stroker motors... I just can't find any helpful information on this motor for the traxter. I can't even find if I'd be able to bore the cylinder from 89mm to 99mm without making the cylinder too thin and be able to use a piston from a 05, because I found a site that sells new pistons for the 05 traxter, but like I said, mine being a 00 takes a 89mm

·
Admin
2,047 Posts
I've found other 89mm pistons for other makes and models, but that's all I know about the other pistons... I don't know if the pin hight/stroke would be too low or too high, or if the pins would be the same size for the rod. I'm assuming it has to be possible to use a different available piston, like how when people turn their motors on their vehicles into stroker motors... I just can't find any helpful information on this motor for the traxter. I can't even find if I'd be able to bore the cylinder from 89mm to 99mm without making the cylinder too thin and be able to use a piston from a 05, because I found a site that sells new pistons for the 05 traxter, but like I said, mine being a 00 takes a 89mm
boring out .030 or .040 maybe a bit extreme, but 10mm.. no way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My other concern, assuming if I ordered a random 89mm piston and it fit properly and have the proper stroke, is the change in compression and if it would hurt the engine. I don't have extra money at the moment to throw away or I would order a piston and see what happens 😅 so I'm trying to hold out until I can find the right part. But if In a few more weeks I can't find what I need I might just do it... And hopefully it will work, and if it does, I can share my findings and hopefully others would be able to do the same thing if they need to replace a piston on their traxter. I can't sleep it's bothering me so much I want to get it running haha... I've wanted a traxter for years, but they are always so expensive, so I was super excited to get one in as good of shape as this one for so cheap.

·
Admin
2,047 Posts
Worth a shot i guess. If I still had access to a mill and a lathe, I could just make one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So while I can't sleep, I've been researching more, looking at all the pistons I can find from bombardier and can am. I came across one that looks more similar, and appears from the photo, to have the same dished design (which I'm assuming is important) and isnt too much larger... It's 91.46mm, which is only 2.46mm more than the stock 89 that's discontinued. I've been researching more, and that's about .097 which according to everything I've read the last few hours is walking a fine line between being the biggest it can be bored out and the cylinder becoming unsafe for use. Now what I need to find out is the wrist pin size between the stock 89mm piston for the traxter 500 and the pin size for the piston I found, which is from a 2017 can am traxter max hd1000. Also where height that piston will sit in relation to the stock 89 piston... If it's too high or low I may need a spacer or to take the head down a little bit 🤔
Font Parallel Paper Number Document

Camera lens Automotive lighting Font Material property Gadget

·
Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
6,903 Posts
BRP rocking those chrome rims way back in 2000, so awesome lol :cool:

Welcome to the site, Lance, sure hope you can sort the little gem back out. Couple of things kicking around in my head, thought I'd share:

There were 500cc and 650cc traxter/quests, same powertrain as the John Deere buck, so that may explain the differences in pistons you're finding.

Speaking of differences, that 2017 "Traxter" piston you're looking at above, that's BRP's nickname for the overseas Defenders. Not sure why they're trying to confuse you, but it looks like they succeeded. You're gonna want to stick with hunting down those early 2000 model years parts bikes.

@Ducvet @buckext y'all got any advice for the guy?

Reactions: Lance112

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've been able to locate a jug, piston head etc... Basically a whole top end for a 2005, but it looks totally different than my 2000... I'm trying to research if I can just swap top ends but I can't find any info at all about doing that. There isnt much info out there about these machines, which I find odd

·
Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
6,903 Posts
There isnt much info out there about these machines, which I find odd
I don't, unfortunately. Think about it: the internet was pretty young, way back at the turn of the century. Communities and forums like this one hadn't even gotten their starts yet. That bike went out of production right about the time this forum got its legs, and it wasn't exactly sold in the numbers say a Honda Fourtrax was, so yeah, I can see where you're going to encounter some trouble sourcing good info on it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I joined a few groups on Facebook and was able to meet a guy in Canada that is about to part on one of his traxters. He seems like a cool dude and said he will sell me every part that I want so I'm excited. Now just have to wait for my next check haha. Thanks everyone for the input.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts