Can-Am ATV Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I have this exact issue - wondering if the OP was able to find a fix?
Sounded like he was missing the diaphragm needle seat on his carb...kind of hard to see in his vid, it does kind of look like its not there...

This is my spare carb you can clearly see its there...

Thats not a normal thing that happens but it does happen.

Id recommend watching conleys carb vids, give it a good cleaning -especially- the screen under the float needle.
Another common thing with flooding like that is the float level adjustment and theres another smaller diaphragm other than the main one thatll do it.

First thing I would try is pull the bowl off the bottom, remove the float and float needle and clean the screen. Then make sure the float is adjusted properly.
Those two dont work you'll have to diagnose deeper.

Best of luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sounded like he was missing the diaphragm needle seat on his carb...kind of hard to see in his vid, it does kind of look like its not there...
View attachment 101007

This is my spare carb you can clearly see its there...
View attachment 101008

Thats not a normal thing that happens but it does happen.

Id recommend watching conleys carb vids, give it a good cleaning -especially- the screen under the float needle.
Another common thing with flooding like that is the float level adjustment and theres another smaller diaphragm other than the main one thatll do it.

First thing I would try is pull the bowl off the bottom, remove the float and float needle and clean the screen. Then make sure the float is adjusted properly.
Those two dont work you'll have to diagnose deeper.

Best of luck
Thanks for the reply! The previous owner replace the carb. I opened it up and checked it over (all good) and then tested it - same thing. The only thing I noticed was that the main jet was a 43 and according to the manual it should be 33.5 main jet. Tired of screwing with it I ordered a complete new carb. I took the float bowl off of it before installing and the new main jet is smaller but not numbered... I installed the new carb and tested it - better but not great. I don't know what jet is in the new carb tho? I've ordered a new dynojet kit for it so I can be sure it has the proper jet and setup. Hopefully I get it soon.and this solves my issues but its been a real pain in the butt...

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Yeah carb issues can be a pain.
Good move on the dynojet kit, highly recommend it.

I ended up moving the diaphragm clip to position #4 with a 128 main and a 32.5 pilot and 80 secondary. The fuel screw ended up just between 2 1/2 and 2 3/4 turns out if that helps
My cheap chinese amazon spare carb has unmarked jets. It runs ok with that on but if the po replaced yours with another bsr 33-49 carb its worth rebuilding and keeping.
They are extremely hard to find. Made for the 400 👍
It should be stamped on the housing...

Reactions: Bonzo

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah carb issues can be a pain.
Good move on the dynojet kit, highly recommend it.

I ended up moving the diaphragm clip to position #4 with a 128 main and a 32.5 pilot and 80 secondary. The fuel screw ended up just between 2 1/2 and 2 3/4 turns out if that helps
My cheap chinese amazon spare carb has unmarked jets. It runs ok with that on but if the po replaced yours with another bsr 33-49 carb its worth rebuilding and keeping.
They are extremely hard to find. Made for the 400 👍
It should be stamped on the housing...
View attachment 101015
I installed the Dynojet kit and re-installed the carb and it was the same Issue... Re-installed the air filter housing just for the heck of it and it's running good now? lol - not sure what caused that...

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
There are rubber couplers/adapters on both sides of the carb...I'll dig up a pic of how bad my intake side was.
There is also one on the backside of the airbox.

Other than that just gotta keep trying and adjusting/diagnosing/troubleshooting one thing at a time...you just have to find that one thing that is causing your symptoms.
Check the enricher (choke) system, if you havent already, it likes to gum up and get stuck where it goes into the carb.
Lube the cable, clean the plunger and the whole area where it lives, make sure its adjusted properly etc.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts

Youre close man congrats!
Glad you got er runnin good, even if by accident.
Btw I LOVE issues that fix themselves like that ;)

Trust me, its worth the effort to wake these "little brother" outlanders up.
Once you get the fuel system dialed in its all about twist throttle=HOLD ON!!!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Offroadability is a guaranteed good time especially the stupid insane steep technical stuff,,,, thats not a time for a faulty manifold adapter to be stalling you out.

Id ride it hard like that and see if it craps out on you, even if it doesnt, its still worth getting everything right just for the confidence factor when youre 17miles in lol.

Its a carb haha
It could be any number of things, but it has to be something if it acts up at all at any speed under any condition
Im not much for rock crawling, a little slow and boring for me, but these 400s will do it all day long then hit the main road and rock it drifting the corners at 30mph all the way back to the truck 😁

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there, new member here. I just got myself -07 Outlander 400XT. It has same kind of issue, and it only runs decent on idle. When you push the throttle it just stumbles and often stalls. My carburetor was flooding but after cleaning and adjusting the floats it seems that it is not flooding anymore. Cleaning didnt help the running issue. I have also changed the air filter and spark plug.

But now i noticed that my carburetor is also missing the needle guide thing like op.
It looks just like this.

Here is pick when the jet is removed. The needle is not centered at all.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Thats so strange.
Ive only been around these for a couple of years now and been thru a half dozen or so but this is the first Ive heard of that being missing, now there are two verified mia's.
Very strange indeed.

Never had one come out when jetting, theyre usually pressed in there nice and solid.
Maybe they wear and are coming out topside.
I'll have to talk to my carb guru guy and see if hes seen it happen and what he did for a replacement, Im not having any luck with either part#.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have searched for a new carburetor but can't find any (Mikuni BSR33-67 L571 ). Only some chinese knockoffs. Closest one i can find is this one Genuine Real Mikuni OEM Yamaha Kodiak 400 OE BSR33 Carburetor Carb BSR33-P73 | eBay but cant really confirm it would work.

I then find this listing from ebay NOS Genuine Can-Am Mikuni Carburetor Needle Jet Set 2 Outlander 330 400 Traxter | eBay

If i'm right this is the part my carburetor is missing. Does anyone know, is it even possible to change that part. If the original one was press fitted.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts