Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So while mowing my pasture this past week I must have ran over a goathead weed. Because I noticed the next day my front tire was flat. Took it to my local Les Schuab tire store to get it patched. Well they put a plug in it instead. Is it safe ? Never had a plugged tire before .
On a side note are the Carlisle A.C.T tires that came stock on my 650XT that weak ?They only have 65 miles on them .
Thanks Allen

·
Registered
24 Posts
Plugs work great and I've had them last the life of the tire. I carry a plug kit and a 12v air pump in every vehicle. It will save your day when you need them.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I've plugged at lest one tire on every quad I've owned. I even plug my Dodge tires when I can. Side wall plugs don't usually hold air and are not safe though.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
The stocks tire are light duty, only 3 ply rated. Not sure if a 6 or 8 ply rated would be immune to that weed though. Generally, everyone typically upgrades their tires to heavier duty tires at some point.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I live in an area that has thorn trees, I have taken tires off and found 12 plugs that we put in during the year,. Not really an issue. We do inject a leak sealer in each tire when the machine is new, stuff will coat the thorns/plugs and either slow leak or stop it. Stuff I am adding to my new XMR is called Slime.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
That goo is also corrosive to Aluminium, so be careful with aluminum wheels…..

·
Registered
88 Posts
ACT tires a garbage there like riding on balloon i got 2 flats in amonths took them off and put zillas on not a problem since. Another attempt by can am to buy bulk cheap parts for there machines, if i get a plug i replace the tire because if you hit in hard in that spot another flat i found out and goo is bad for alumium wheels it makes them corrode on the inside

·
Registered
196 Posts
I had a stick go through my tire. I have a friend that works at a repair shop & I got him to put a plug patch on the hole.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts