Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking @ the Outlander L . I am talking about the base model without DPS. I am reaching a bit beyond my budget limits with this unit, but it may worth the reach. My question is "how does this ATV handle without DPS" ??

I talked to a dealer today, and they don't have the base model in stock, not able to test drive. Sales guy seemed to think that I would need to be built like "Rambo" to steer this unit without DPS.

Anybody have a Outlander L (non-DPS) model? I would appreciate your opinion on these questions.

·
Registered
570 Posts
We had an older Sportsman before power steering came out and you could steer that thing with 1 hand while cruising. Then we got a Rubicon, also without power steering and that thing steered heavy like a tank, but that was full time 4 wheel drive.

I've never rode an outlander L without power steering, so I can't really say, but I can't imagine it would be that bad without it, but once you have power steering, you really don't want to go back, and really, how much would it add to the payments? And think about the re-sale with power steering.

Reactions: skytrash

·
Registered
932 Posts
If you are young and have a strong back and shoulders, no problem. I keep mine on min assist and that makes a huge difference. Can Ams without power steering suffer from lots of kickback steering. The weight distribution compared to some other companies is more foreward weighted.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have a 2008 800 xt without power steering, it's definitely doable even withmy bighorns but.... It ain't like driving moms old caddy. I added ez steer power steering to mine and like other post said how much would it really add to payments? You'll be fine without but if you ever ride one with dps you'll be kicking yourself. Think of it as an extra few hours at work for endless hours of riding comfort.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have the 450L without power steering. I don't notice any hard or heavy steering even with my zillas. I would try to test drive both and see if it's something you can live without. I was also on a budget when I bought mine and didn't even consider the dps model.

Reactions: skytrash

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have a 500L. And I went back and forth about getting the dps. All my other quad didn't have it. So I thought maybe I didn't need it. Had one on hold w/o and after talking with some friend that had it and people on this site I decided to get the dps. for the $1000 extra. and I must say it's so worth it. It seems to absorb all the hits to the front end plus I'm plowing with it and it makes pushing the snow where you want it a breeze. Plus you get the upgraded rims With that package.
Do it right the first time no regets

·
Registered
33 Posts
if you ever go to sell your quad to upgrade or get something different it will probably make it easier to sell if you have power steering.

·
Registered
932 Posts
When I had my Outy 400 without power steering, it was ok until I would either graze something and have the bars ripped out of my hand or at the end of a really long ride. My next bike was a Grizz 700 without power steering, no kickback from grazing rocks or logs and it generally steered easier even with the bigger tires than the previous Outy. Well I started feeling old, and when I knew I was getting another bike and wanted a 2 Up, had to get power, and now I absolutely would not ride without power steering.
The one thing that is happening with the Can Am power steering units, is they overheat, sometimes from running on max assist for too long, sometimes mud build up on unit, sometimes just the heat off the rad or big tires. Not everybody is having issues. I have had issues on hot days when my unit and rad are caked in mud and running hot. It shouldn't be an issue any more because I relocated the rad.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
You won't have the QE Visco if you don't have DPS though. Is that important to you? DPS also gets you the 650 watt stator.

·
Registered
229 Posts
i have a 09 renegade , no power steering ,, plus i a am parilized waist down,since 86 , i thought i never would need ps,, but these last few yrs i fine myself after few hrs riding i worn out,, so i bought ez steer added ,now i can ride all day , and i love it mainly notice how easy in tight trails or when my plow on, its night a day,,, so you can always add the ez-steer,,, but if i was buying new i would do my best too get with factory ps,,, just my thoughts

·
Registered
932 Posts
You won't have the QE Visco if you don't have DPS though. Is that important to you? DPS also gets you the 650 watt stator.
The QE Visco loc and better stator are really good upgrades from the previous generation. Improved traction so you won't need the winch as much and better charging which is needed when you are winching.

Get the DPS model.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Never thought I would need it either, but man it makes a difference. The power steering on my wife's 13 scrambler 850 LE is insanely easy, too easy I think.

Reactions: lets4by

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Having DPS is not about age or strength, it's about having something that adds to the experience. It is awesome technology that once you try and get used to it, you won't go back.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I belong to a hunting club, and a lot of the members have ATV's. Most of them have Suzuki Ozarks, and Kawasaki Bayou's 250-300. I have been using theirs for the last couple years, and am now ready to bring my own toys to the dance. I was kind of blown away by the difference in size and weight of the 400-500 CC units in comparison to what I already mentioned, and that's why I brought up the issue of power steering. The units I have had access to were also 2 wheel drive, and 4 wheel drive would seem to necessitate the PS option.

Thanks for the feedback and advice. The Outlander seems to be "The Bomb" (metaphorically speaking), and I may have to put in some overtime and pony up the extra $$ for the DPS. I can't seem to stop looking @ the camo version either (just too cool to pass). The only draw back may be that everyone is going to want to borrow mine, paybacks are heck!

·
Registered
922 Posts
I had a 400 Max w/o PS and it was ok but on all day rides my shoulders and stuff would be tight and such then I traded it in on a 500 Max with PS I wouldn't go back. It has nothing to do about being old or whatever it is about comfort and PS adds a lot of comfort esp in tight trails. If you can swing absolutely upgrade but if you can't it is all good enjoy your new quad you have never had it so you won't miss it

·
Registered
932 Posts
getting old and decrepid

Having DPS is not about age or strength, it's about having something that adds to the experience. It is awesome technology that once you try and get used to it, you won't go back.
Power Steering is something else that can go wrong with a machine, and it often does. I have gotten used to it and can honestly say, I wouldn't ride without it. I tend to ride very technical trails with lots of rock, hills, ruts, mud and everything that makes sense to have power steering.
I have ridden the same trails without power steering and managed well; but I did feel it more at the end of the day. The man that turned convinced me that power steering was not a fad, had to sell his G1 Outy because he could no longer ride for more 30 min without severe shoulder pain (big strong guy otherwise) then he test rode a Grizzly EPS, and bought one, he could ride again. I was riding a Grizz non EPS at the time and the only issues were the ruts and rocks. I realized 2 years ago, it was time for power steering, and Can Am with its tri mode adjustability was way better than the 1 finger turning I found on a friends XP850 where there was no trail feedback.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I assume this is your first wheeler. If so, you won't even notice how "hard" it is to handle. Remember PS is relatively new to ATV's. People went without for a long time. My '09 650 is no problem to drive with no power steering. That being said, it is NICE to have on my '15.

Oh, and don't believe ANYTHING ANY SALESMEN SAYS, EVER.

·
Registered
126 Posts
P.S.

I did mean offense to any salesmen on here too.:lachtot:

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
I have ridden ATV's since I was 14 (1984 trx 200) and did not have P.S. until last year.

I will never own one without again. The years without P.S. have taken a toll on my shoulders. Ever have the bars ripped out of your hands or jammed into your hand? I have a friend who now has a steel pin in his right hand from being hit with bar whip.
Power steering stops 99% of it. And the overall fatigue of riding all day is gone. If your 14-25 years old it probably is not an issue. As the older you get the more you will enjoy it. Just my:smilietwocents:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts