Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve read a few posts on here about the power window switches in the Defender cab models failing. Well I had one go bad on me and I just replaced it. The cost was $101 Cdn after a 10% discount. My warranty expired on the 7th of Feb. lol. Imagine if the power window switch went on your brand car after only a 1000 miles. This is not a good sign. Hopefully I’m now in the clear. Can Am needs to do better.

·
Premium Member
2020 Outlander XMR 1000r Max
369 Posts
I’ve read a few posts on here about the power window switches in the Defender cab models failing. Well I had one go bad on me and I just replaced it. The cost was $101 Cdn after a 10% discount. My warranty expired on the 7th of Feb. lol. Imagine if the power window switch went on your brand car after only a 1000 miles. This is not a good sign. Hopefully I’m now in the clear. Can Am needs to do better.
Stop into an International/Navistar dealer for big trucks and get the same switch for half the price.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same problem and the machine had 10 hours on it. I brought it in and they replaced it only to have the passenger side fail. Now my hd8 is stuck in high gear and will not drop down to a lower gear when climbing. Getting very nervous about the quality of the Can am defender. 22,000 dollars later.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya, that is not kosher, hopefully you won’t experience any more issues. It sucks when you spend your hard earned money on a product that underperforms.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I had the same problem and the machine had 10 hours on it. I brought it in and they replaced it only to have the passenger side fail. Now my hd8 is stuck in high gear and will not drop down to a lower gear when climbing. Getting very nervous about the quality of the Can am defender. 22,000 dollars later.
What do you mean it won't drop to a lower gear when climbing? It wont go into neutral, reverse, or park? Or no low gear?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
What do you mean it won't drop to a lower gear when climbing? It wont go into neutral, reverse, or park? Or no low gear?

The defender will go into reverse but if I would go up an incline while in forward high, the defender will lose its ability to climb and will begin to bog down. A light indicator illuminates requesting a lower gear. The defender will not drop to a lower gear.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
The defender will go into reverse but if I would go up an incline while in forward high, the defender will lose its ability to climb and will begin to bog down. A light indicator illuminates requesting a lower gear. The defender will not drop to a lower gear.
Something tells me your secondary clutch needs some work.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Ok, maybe I’m misunderstanding, but the way you say....”will not drop to a lower gear”.... has me confused. Are you actually stopping the Defender and trying to shift to low gear and it won’t go? It doesn’t shift down automatically like a vehicle.

·
Registered
809 Posts
This^^

·
Registered
43 Posts
A guy on the commander and defender forum posted this: "Had the same problem and got a new power window switch for Can Am 2020 defender for $28.50 from the OTR Switch Guys 408-252-1544
Just called and they told me what switch I needed. ( Can Am wanted $86 )"

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
A guy on the commander and defender forum posted this: "Had the same problem and got a new power window switch for Can Am 2020 defender for $28.50 from the OTR Switch Guys 408-252-1544
Just called and they told me what switch I needed. ( Can Am wanted $86 )"
Lot cheaper to get a switch from a Navistar/International truck dealer. Same switch.

·
Registered
28 Posts
They are useless mine kept failing also... in a year I bought five

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also had switch problems shortly after buying my Defender so I did some reserch and contacted Spemco they said that switch VXD2 is a special switch so I looked on their web site and come upon a switch that looked as if it might work so I ordered one and other that a plastic post between the lower two spades seem to be same I twisted the post off and pluged it in and everything seems to be good so I ordered another dozen for myself and some friends cost is around 12 bucks including shipping, I also sugget you get the switch tool that for a couple bucks that helps you get the switch apart and out of the holder, the part number for the switch is VLD1G66B.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts