Can-Am ATV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a 2015 outlander 800xmr, i bought it brandnew. The powersteering has never in my opnion been the greatest. Most of the time it still takes a little effort on my part to turn the tires but its been like that since new. Last weekend we went riding and the steering feelt like always but in the middle of the ride i felt my self having to put alot more effort into steering. All 3 DPS settings feel the same. I had the bike stationary in neutral on flat hard ground and in each setting i went lock to lock multiple times and i felt no change. How can i trouble shoot to find the problem. No i havent checked the fuses yet. Im going to do that b4 anytimhing else but im wanting to know if there is a sets of tests i can do. Also for those with the xmrs or a reg outlander with 30in backs, how easy is your steering? My girlfriend just bouggt a 2017 honda rubicon with powersteering and it sits on 27 itp xls and that steering is like butter.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Check and see if you have an active code, there are several codes for the DPS and each of them give details of what to do next. To display the fault code in the multifunction gauge, use the selector button or mode button and scroll to engine hour (EH) on the gauge, press and HOLD mode button while QUICKLY toggling HI-LO beam a minimum of 3 HI-LO toggles within 2 seconds.

Reactions: VC rider

·
Registered
318 Posts
Their should always be a little bit of force required to turn the tires, even on max.
Also you need to remember its adaptive.
It is stronger at high RPM when it has more power available.
It decreases strength with increases in speed to prevent oversteer.
Was probably normal before this failure.

If its not working at all, its probably a fuse.
If its sort of working then its probably the power steering module.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My ps goes from decent assist at slow speeds to wrestling with it in just a few rides. Then I grease the front end and it is back to working with ease again. Pretty much have to grease every trip. Doesn't seem like any other riders grease as much as I do. They have no complaints on their ps. Probably a dozen outlanders in total.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I also believe there was a recent update to the DPS which cuts down on the assist at low speeds. I could be wrong about this, but I could swear I remembered reading this.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I also believe there was a recent update to the DPS which cuts down on the assist at low speeds. I could be wrong about this, but I could swear I remembered reading this.
I had my 2014 Outlander DPS software up dated when my ATV was a couple mouths old. Had a message show up on cluster plus the steering got very hard. Any ways the problem has never come back after the Dealer did the Software up date.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
I had my 2012 updated and the power steering is noticeable weaker. I even replaced the DPS unit.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tomorrow im going to try and pull and codes and see where that leads, then ill remove the inner fenders and check for obvious signs of failure then ill check fuses, the reason im checking fuses last is because i have aftermarket snorkle extentions and its a royal pain to access the foward fuse block.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
When my DPS unit failed on my 2012, it would work perfectly for 10 minutes and then it would completely fail and I had to ride it home with no DPS at all and it was a real bear to steer it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I finally had time today to look at the bike. There are no active codes is what the display said. I started the atv and the powersteering was working normal. Im just gona assume the other night it got hot and timed out or somthing.
Compaired to my girlfriends 2017 honda forman powersteering mine feels like there is no powersteering at all lol. Gotta give them new hondas credit there powersteering and selectable electric locking front diffs are on point haha. Thanks everyone for the help

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
When my 2013 started acting up, it was intermittent right up til it failed outright. the data cable must had water entry the plug and caused the pins to corrode until one finally broke off. They couldn't even see the DPS from buds at that point. luckily they had an old DPS harness that I was able to reuse the male end to repair my cable and then I had to replace the DPS. I did the work myself and the dealer gave me a discount on the unit but still wasn't cheap. While I was there, I added a remote grease port to the upper bushing.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
When my 2013 started acting up, it was intermittent right up til it failed outright. the data cable must had water entry the plug and caused the pins to corrode until one finally broke off. They couldn't even see the DPS from buds at that point. luckily they had an old DPS harness that I was able to reuse the male end to repair my cable and then I had to replace the DPS. I did the work myself and the dealer gave me a discount on the unit but still wasn't cheap. While I was there, I added a remote grease port to the upper bushing.
How about a little more information on this "remote grease port to the upper bushing". Might be something I might want to do.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes i want more info on that as well. Damn thing sqeaks when i turn. And im sure some lube in there would ease the turning a little bit.. is there a greas firting there already???

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Take your air filter housing off in order to get to the upper bushing & bracket, once off you will need a grease gun hose or in my case I had a left over idler arm bracket remote hose its shorter that the grease gun hose fits under the pod perfect. I drilled & tapped the bushing bracket then I drilled the middle of the bushing. I did this for the lower bushing under the DPS also I just used a zerk instead of a hose. I would recommend getting new bushings & O-rings as well. I have been trying to get Garage products to make bushings for a couple years now but no luck. He said there was no demand for them " EVERYBODY " call so he will start making them. That's how I did mine not real hard but time consuming.

·
Registered
206 Posts
If there are rubber O-rings or other rubber parts, they need to be compatible with the grease.
Some rubber parts will swell up if exposed to gas, oil or grease.
I just wanted to mention it because I have seen it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
On a '13, the BRP maintenance schedule calls for the steering bushing to be lubed. but the upper requires the airbox to be removed. once you have done that you'll realize what a PITA it is to repeat. Here is the link that used to have all the info you needed to add a remote zerk to the upper bushing. You can try to email the OP and see if he can repost the pictures. The manual misses one bolt for the airbox, on the ECM side, reach under and you will feel a bolt installed from teh center into the box to secure it, with it still in place, it will feel like it have several bolts still holding it.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Can-Am Outlander Max XT 650
1,186 Posts
I have a 2013 can am maverick 1000r and I woke up this morning and the steering is so hard to turn what could the problem be
This is a 4-year old thread. Please create a new thread in the Maverick section so you can get the best and fastest help. Thread locked.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.