Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was all this talk recently about the placement of the air box and filter. I was thinking of adding a pre-filter such as a Uni foam filter to the box. Wondered if anybody else has added a pre-filter and what their results were/are?

I know CanAm offers a pre-filter already, but it looks like kind of a mesh screen. Is anybody using it? May go that route or go a step further and add the Uni foam filter.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
In case anybody is interested, this is the Can-Am pre-filter part number and installation instruction.....715003483

https://instructions.brp.com/content/instruction-sheet/en_CA/e-instruction-details.html#articleNo=kA00c000000xQgnCAE&lang=en_CA&title=SSV KIT - Air Intake Pre-filter&rel_part_number=715003483

I ordered a Uni foam filter to connect direct to the box. Will give it a shot. Inlet diameter is around 2.5". I ordered Uni part number UP-6245AST which is a 15 degree angled clamp on filter (dual stage). The straight one is the same part number without the A (UP-6245ST). Either should work.

Now just debating oiling the pre-filter or just run it dry..... (either way, just an extra layer of filtration to help reduce dust/dirt that gets to the primary filter).

I ran a Uni pre-filter on an Arctic Cat I had before. Never encountered any problems. So hoping it will help out here....

·
Registered
250 Posts
After reading that one guys thread, I was looking into something myself, but I read the following in the user manual:

Engine Air Filter
NOTICE Never modify the air intake system. Otherwise, engine performance degradation or damage can occur. The engine is calibrated to operate specifically with these components.

I’ll just leave well enough alone. I’ll continue to clean and inspect my air filter and cvt intake screen before and after every ride. I change my oil every 25 hours here. Enjoying my machine in the dusty, dry and harsh Arizona conditions....so far so good.

·
Registered
250 Posts
There was all this talk recently about the placement of the air box and filter. I was thinking of adding a pre-filter such as a Uni foam filter to the box. Wondered if anybody else has added a pre-filter and what their results were/are?

I know CanAm offers a pre-filter already, but it looks like kind of a mesh screen. Is anybody using it? May go that route or go a step further and add the Uni foam filter.
Stumbled across this. I might pull the trigger and give it a shot. Free shipping on Amazon.

·
Registered
2016 Can-Am Outlander MAX DPS 650
92 Posts
Stumbled across this. I might pull the trigger and give it a shot. Free shipping on Amazon.

Did you end up giving it a shot? Any feedback if yes?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Did you end up giving it a shot? Any feedback if yes?
Yup. Works great! There’s a noticeable difference on the filter compared to when I didn’t have it on. Filter looks good after every ride.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yup. Works great! There’s a noticeable difference on the filter compared to when I didn’t have it on. Filter looks good after every ride.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to buy one for my Outlander.

Reactions: AZ8

·
Registered
22 Posts

I have been using filterwears for over a year and just bought a 2nd one so I can rotate them daily from camp. I ride in very dusty conditions and they keep my main paper filter much cleaner. Amazon 20 bucks.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have been using filterwears for over a year and just bought a 2nd one so I can rotate them daily from camp. I ride in very dusty conditions and they keep my main paper filter much cleaner. Amazon 20 bucks.
Yeah, been happy with it since I bought it last year. Very dusty here too.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Do the air filters on the Defender have a foam pre filter like on the Outlander? Or don't they and that's why you are using these pre filters?
I want to make sure if you're using the filterwears on top of the foam prefilter or just on top of the actual filter.

·
Registered
38 Posts
OMG for sure! MY BAD. I am so ashamed that my first post is such a bonehead mistake. Thank you for pointing this out and for being gentle.
No worries, simple mistake. We've all done it before. Now if you were a smug a-hole making it.....different story!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm going to order that Filterwears filter for the primary filter. Between that, and the Uni pre-filter I'm running it should help prolong filter changes (I do clean filter and pre-filter after every trip).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts