Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm getting ready to take my first trip to the sand dunes in Little Sahara this month. I bought some 26" Skat Trak 10 paddles for the rear. I went with 26's because my friend told me they measured short. Well they don't. I got them today and they're definitely taller than my stockers. Will this hurt anything or would I be better off getting a set of 26" ribbed or buffs for the front to go with the Skat Traks? I'm extremely newbish to the world of sand. I have no idea what to expect. How do you all ride? 2wd or 4wd? What should I expect/look out for? I'd love to hear some input.:th_smiliedance:

·
Registered
326 Posts
i ran 26" 10 paddles on my 800 and now on my 1000, stock fronts, the small size difference wont make a difference in the sand, i run in 4wd 95% of the time, seems to turn and handle better, just take it easy at first to see how it feels, and have fun

·
Registered
503 Posts
I too had my first sand experience at the little sahara last year. I agree with superjoe, i ran 4 wheel 95% of the time, only in 2 wheel to feel it out. My xmr would sink the rear alot more on take off in 2 wheel so i kept it in 4 wheel, especially when climbing the dunes. I went on new years day and we were the only people there for about 3 hours then a couple people showed up. My biggest worry was meeting someone on the other side of a dune, so if you are riding with buddies, have someone on the top to look out for people on the other side.

These are a couple of my vids at the little sahara.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I run STU Blasters 26/12/12 16 paddle #1's on both my renegade and my outlander. I too run in 4wd almost all the time except when I jump it a little. If you jump some dunes just don't be on the gas when you land as you could break stuff in the drivetrain. You can get a flag for your renegade down there as they sell them at both atv places near the dunes. You will find out that you will be able to climb the dunes easier than the sport quads especially if there isn't room to get a run at the hill. Have fun it's a good time

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Put your tire pressure at about 6-8 psi and have fun. I like running 4x4 most of the time. I went cheap and bought some ITP dune stars. The work great and were cheap. So go out and rip it up.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Where is the Little Sahara at?

just watched some vids of riding the dunes and its got me pumped up to go tear up some sand! Closest dunes for me would probably be Michigan, but I'm not sure how good they are up there.

This stupid snow needs to go away, its been too deep to even think about getting the machines out since Xmas. The last week has melted a lot of it off so rain or shine were gonna go tear something up next weekend.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Little Sahara is in Wynoka, Oklahoma.

Reactions: jmason

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got back tonight and it was an absolute blast! :th_smiliebanana2: After some suspension adjustments on the first day it got along great and even had a little fun playing on the drag strip. It will definitely hold it's own with the 450 sports. I'd say an aftermarket primary is definitely in my future. She just needs a little more off the line snap. Over all a successful trip though. No break downs and no wipe outs! :th_smiliedance: Now a few questions I have for post dune riding.. what all should I do and check? A few guys said to change the oil and air filter after being in the dunes. Is this pretty standard practice? What do you all do? Thanks and here are a few pictures from the trip.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nice pics, since I ride on the beach I usually check the air cleaner and spray my machine down with simple green and wash it a few times. Get the salt water off the machine. I just got back from the Oregon Coast. I was lazy and ran my stock tires on the renegade and maverick. I was at 4 psi without a problem all week.

Attachments

·
Registered
503 Posts
I would definitely clean the air filter. Never heard anyone say to change the oil. I would sure hope that sand wouldnt get in there.

·
Registered
147 Posts

just watched some vids of riding the dunes and its got me pumped up to go tear up some sand! Closest dunes for me would probably be Michigan, but I'm not sure how good they are up there.

This stupid snow needs to go away, its been too deep to even think about getting the machines out since Xmas. The last week has melted a lot of it off so rain or shine were gonna go tear something up next weekend.
let me know if you wanna set up a michigan sand dune trip!

·
Registered
687 Posts
I'm no expert (never ridden the dunes) but I would definitely clean and oil the air filter and grease everything. I bet that sand really works its way into the bushings and what not.

·
Registered
687 Posts

let me know if you wanna set up a michigan sand dune trip!

I'd really like to check it out. Have you ever been up there?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts