Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 2021 450 has been awesome. I’m very pleased. The engine won’t quit. But $3K more would’ve gotten me a large under rack trunk, more back rack payload, the ability to have a rear wench (front only w/450), some more power although the 450 has plenty, extra lights, tilt feature, LinQ amenability, and numerous accessories made for the 650 and 1,000 but not the 450. Is there anything I need to do but can’t do w/the 450? A hard no. But my Ford Explorer did all I needed, but man the new Expedition has been nice. I may order the 650 although a re-design may make me wait as the current 650 has been around sine 2013 if I’m not mistaken? It is a 3 to 4 month wait in Alaska once ordered, then I could sell the 450 in July as their is a very strong used market up here.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
4,287 Posts
Very well spoken, good sir

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Check Alaska Mining and Diving, they had quit a few rides there a week ago. You'll be giving up the good fuel mileage you get with your 450, but you can't go wrong with more power. Like I said before, get as much power as you can afford. I've seen people on here ride their 650 for one season and then upgrade to the 1000.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a 650 on order. With your post, I’m glad I didn’t go with the smaller version. I’m also hoping that I don’t have to go with Chief’s post and end up wanting/needing the 1000.

·
Registered
150 Posts
My 2007 Outlander with a 650 was plenty powerful. Even with 2 people riding on my 2up. Dont worry about not having an 850, or 1000. In can am terms, 650 is the new 850....lol. 2 riders up a steep incline on my old 650....pfffft, no problem. Truth be told, i did snag an 850 in 2017, lol.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I have a 650 on order. With your post, I’m glad I didn’t go with the smaller version. I’m also hoping that I don’t have to go with Chief’s post and end up wanting/needing the 1000.
I think the 650 will be perfect.

I was out on Lake Lucile yesterday and the surrounding woods on the 450, 19 miles, and power was plentiful at all times. I was also towing a snow machine trailer some and did not have to use low range. But I'm riding one-up with no significant load, just plowing through snow. 0-40mph happens really fast if you have the traction.

We hunt once a year in Collinsville, AK with pretty old Polaris 500cc 6X6's, you rarely have the opportunity to go over 15 mph except by an old runway. I've gone up and down some ridiculous hills and through some streams I would have been nervous on a quad. You can ride endlessly out there only limited by the fuel you can carry. Incidentally, one of those old 500's went down one day and we used the wench as a tow rope, and the lead 6X6 towed the down one along with two big guys all the way back to camp, and it was no problem.

I think the 650 is the perfect middle ground unless you just need to produce adrenalin from being catapulted to 70mph by the 1,000 or whatever else someone might have in mind. That's a lot of fun. Israel Hale the owner over at Alaska Toy Rentals in Palmer rents out what I think is your exact 650 for $240 a day. The 650 is sort of like my Ford Expedition, the Ford's dual turbocharged engine has more hp and torque than I'll ever need, but it is fun.

Once I determine there's not a significant update or re-design on tap for the 2022 models, I'll probably go ahead and place the order for the 650.

9D532D46-C4F7-4563-B936-A99C00C5847F_1_201_a.jpeg

·
Registered
155 Posts
I sure like my 650 and haven't wanted any more engine. I rarely run into any other 6x6's. The last guy I talked to had gone from a 650 to a 1000 and was having second guesses. He said it used more fuel but didn't really know how much more and his biggest issue was how much hotter the 1000 ran. As far as power, he also said that he couldn't tell much difference, but that he isn't a racer, just a hunter. So I guess it depends on how you ride. I don't really use the tilt feature other than when cleaning but I really like the trunk area. The smaller action packer fits in there perfect and holds all of my tools and emergency goodies without taking up any bed space.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
He said it used more fuel but didn't really know how much more and his biggest issue was how much hotter the 1000 ran.
Yes the mpg was a surprise. I thought the 450 would do better than 20mpg, but sending power to six wheels is not efficient and I'm at 17/18mpg. I think I would clear 20 in high range on a mild trail like using the ATV trails at Denali National Park. There's guys reporting 12mpg with the 1,000 if you look down and find that thread, and then hit the link provided in one of the comments. Of course they may be living deep in their throttle.

The one big miss in the 6X6 design is not having an eight to eleven gallon tank (but of course then I'm not buying the LinQ 4 gallon gas tank). There's a four hour 60 mile guided ATV ride at Denali (Travel Alaska - Things to do in Alaska - ATV & 4-Wheeling), and with the 5.4 gallon tank on a 1,000 I'm probably okay, but I'm also packing gas just in case.

·
Premium Member
2020 Outlander XMR 1000r Max
597 Posts
I pull a tandem axle Boski meat wagon full of gear, water, fuel, a passenger, and a Malamute. I have a 1,600lb rated tow limit and electric brakes on the meat wagon. There have been times where I have used full power in low range like when I was pulling my meat wagon loaded, passenger, and pulling a busted down CF Moto 800 behind me going up hill with 2 people on it for many miles back in the mountains. Only problem I experience is traction. That is including having a deep cycle marine battery mounted in the hole above my winch. My XMR 1000r is like a tank!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yes the mpg was a surprise. I thought the 450 would do better than 20mpg, but sending power to six wheels is not efficient and I'm at 17/18mpg. I think I would clear 20 in high range on a mild trail like using the ATV trails at Denali National Park. There's guys reporting 12mpg with the 1,000 if you look down and find that thread, and then hit the link provided in one of the comments. Of course they may be living deep in their throttle.

The one big miss in the 6X6 design is not having an eight to eleven gallon tank (but of course then I'm not buying the LinQ 4 gallon gas tank). There's a four hour 60 mile guided ATV ride at Denali (Travel Alaska - Things to do in Alaska - ATV & 4-Wheeling), and with the 5.4 gallon tank on a 1,000 I'm probably okay, but I'm also packing gas just in case.

View attachment 101772
Fuel mileage is something I really don't care about with a 6x6... there is tons of room to load the extra jerry can... I guess the 1000 burns more gas... but it gets things done. There is only a few weeks that I don't like the extra heat they produce but month on end where I love it here in the frozen North lol.

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
There is only a few weeks that I don't like the extra heat they produce but month on end where I love it here in the frozen North lol.
Yeah.. Around the interior we try to figure out how to get more heat. Can I put a heater core inside my seat? Maybe a heater core in each of my pantlegs? Or install a house furnace into a sxs? Half the year is below zero and the other half don't get too much warmer except a couple weeks in late August that may get up to 80.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I pull a tandem axle Boski meat wagon full of gear, water, fuel, a passenger, and a Malamute. I have a 1,600lb rated tow limit and electric brakes on the meat wagon. There have been times where I have used full power in low range like when I was pulling my meat wagon loaded, passenger, and pulling a busted down CF Moto 800 behind me going up hill with 2 people on it for many miles back in the mountains. Only problem I experience is traction. That is including having a deep cycle marine battery mounted in the hole above my winch. My XMR 1000r is like a tank!
Wow Freewill! That there is a load! haha!

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
I knew another guy that added a large deep cycle battery to his rhino under on of his seats. He said it really helped him when he had to do a bunch of winching.
Fits snug and does not move. Custom battery tray and hold down. Built it myself. Was a tight squeeze getting the battery in. Inner fenders fit with half inch to spare. My lights don't dim down when the cooling fan kicks in. And the winch runs so much better too!
Screenshot from 2021-03-20 09-23-21.png Screenshot from 2021-03-20 09-20-34.png Screenshot from 2021-03-20 09-19-35.png

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Fits snug and does not move. Custom battery tray and hold down. Built it myself. Was a tight squeeze getting the battery in. Inner fenders fit with half inch to spare. My lights don't dim down when the cooling fan kicks in. And the winch runs so much better too!
View attachment 101786 View attachment 101784 View attachment 101785
I like that, I'm contemplating doing something similar on my ride, I have lots of options as to where to mount it, just need to do some more research on it. A couple years ago, on a camping trip we actually had a lone rider on a Side by Side stop at our camp requesting if we had a battery he could borrow, his battery was bad and if anything happened and he killed his engine, he wouldn't be able to restart it. Fortunately for him, one of the guys in our group had a 12v battery for his Cpap, and was willing to loan it to him.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Agree with Arctic Circle and add the the newer xt versions have a few worthy improvements like much easier to service the driveline which alone is worth a bundle in my books.

·
Registered
2016 Can-Am Outlander Max XT 650
649 Posts
worthy improvements like much easier to service the driveline which alone is worth a bundle in my books.
Can you please tell us more about these improvements? What did they do?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts