Can-Am ATV Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Can you please tell us more about these improvements? What did they do?
2019 and up are the longer xt versions. You can now easily reach the u-joint grease nipples with any grease gun and have more room to work on the same. They added some heat shields to protect the bed from muffler heat. Better a-arms for clearance to just name some that I know. I never owned a 2015 model but we have a 2018 and a 2020 model in the family stable.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
2019 and up are the longer xt versions. You can now easily reach the u-joint grease nipples with any grease gun and have more room to work on the same. They added some heat shields to protect the bed from muffler heat. Better a-arms for clearance to just name some that I know. I never owned a 2015 model but we have a 2018 and a 2020 model in the family stable.
Did those improvement apply to the XT 450 which is now 118 inches I believe, or two inches shy of ten feet?

·
Registered
77 Posts
No idea, I never saw one of those in person. But they are a two seater and should also be better to service. They have a different frame and box I believe.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This is a long and worthy discussion...
1) Glad I got a machine this year, as they're in short supply. Maybe that's why the FB seller thinks he can get retail price for a 6 year old machine. He'll probably get it if he holds out a couple more weeks and we really get in to the riding season.
2) Definitely glad I went with the 650 over the 450. The 450 with no tilt bed seems an annoyance when cleaning. Also, the ease at which the machine floats down the trail at 40mph is impressive and smooth.
3) Thoughts on the second battery option: Would you do it again? What kind of cost am I looking at vs. what kind of gain.?

·
Premium Member
2020 Outlander XMR 1000r Max
597 Posts
This is a long and worthy discussion...
1) Glad I got a machine this year, as they're in short supply. Maybe that's why the FB seller thinks he can get retail price for a 6 year old machine. He'll probably get it if he holds out a couple more weeks and we really get in to the riding season.
2) Definitely glad I went with the 650 over the 450. The 450 with no tilt bed seems an annoyance when cleaning. Also, the ease at which the machine floats down the trail at 40mph is impressive and smooth.
3) Thoughts on the second battery option: Would you do it again? What kind of cost am I looking at vs. what kind of gain.?
Second battery? Most definitely! I am so glad I did it! My machine starts at -27 with no issues. I can run electronics for extended periods of time and don't have to worry about my machine starting. Series 27 Marine/RV battery is around $100 at Napa with a business discount and a core. I made my own mount out of some scrap metal laying around.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Second battery? Most definitely! I am so glad I did it! My machine starts at -27 with no issues. I can run electronics for extended periods of time and don't have to worry about my machine starting. Series 27 Marine/RV battery is around $100 at Napa with a business discount and a core. I made my own mount out of some scrap metal laying around.
So now just to do the research on how to hook up two batteries in sequence and such without frying all my electrical components.

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
I hooked the second battery positive to my winch solenoid terminal that connects to the oem battery. basically both batteries are directly connected. Been that way for many months and had zero issues with it.

·
Registered
2016 Can-Am Outlander Max XT 650
649 Posts
So now just to do the research on how to hook up two batteries in sequence and such without frying all my electrical components.
You basically need to connect them in parallel so that the voltage remains 12V while you can draw more current from them. I am sure YouTube is full of videos that demonstrate that.

·
Registered
155 Posts
You basically need to connect them in series so that they voltage remains 12V while you can draw more current from them. I am sure YouTube is full of videos that demonstrate that.
I think you neant parallel. Series would make it 24v! Just make sure they are pos to pos and neg to neg.

·
Registered
2016 Can-Am Outlander Max XT 650
649 Posts
I think you neant parallel. Series would make it 24v! Just make sure they are pos to pos and neg to neg.
Sometimes I write stuff while I'm on the phone and it turns out gibberish. Thanks for the correction.

Reactions: BombardierBomb

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
How I did it. 2nd battery negative to the frame and positive to the winch positive terminal that other battery is connected to.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts