Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2008 outlander 2 up. something going on with electrical i think. while riding engine will cut out and run bad, when this happens the speedometer starts randomly jumping around to different speeds. it bounces all over the place. a while back i thought i had some water in my ignition, i replaced the ignition and that seemed to solve the problem. took it out for the first time this year and it started doing it again. thoughts?

·
Registered
24 Posts
My 07 was doing the same. My battery connections were loose, as was the ground connection.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
sounds like your speed sensor needs cleaned or replaced. My 2010 did the same thing 2 years ago, replaced speed sensor and everything was back to normal.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Yes, the first few times mine started doing it it was just the speedo going bonkers reading 0, then would randomly show different speeds evry few seconds 25, 50,10 etc. then after about 2 rides of this it went into limp mode with no power, it would not even rev up and it would stall out. first i cleaned the speed sensor but that did not work, i then replaced it and everything has been fine since. I would check to make sure your battery connections are tight as Gorlli mentioned, because they can cause weird electrical issues if they are loose or if the battery is on its way out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, the first few times mine started doing it it was just the speedo going bonkers reading 0, then would randomly show different speeds evry few seconds 25, 50,10 etc. then after about 2 rides of this it went into limp mode with no power, it would not even rev up and it would stall out. first i cleaned the speed sensor but that did not work, i then replaced it and everything has been fine since. I would check to make sure your battery connections are tight as Gorlli mentioned, because they can cause weird electrical issues if they are loose or if the battery is on its way out.
that sounds exactly like what mine is doing. i will try that thx

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 07 was doing the same. My battery connections were loose, as was the ground connection.
I had the same problem. And the same solution you mentioned fixed my issues too. The cable was not loose at all which led me to overlook it, at first. They need to be clean and tight on can am stuff or gremlins appear!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
after a couple of months and a new battery which i may or not have needed i had a new speed sensor put on and it seems to have solved the problem. one test ride of about 40 miles and all was good. hopefully that solved it

·
Registered
8 Posts
So I have the exact problem on a Renegade 07, as described by @25TH INFANTRY . Loss of power, sputtering and random numbers on the dash. Cleaned the sensor couple of times, checked the grounds with no luck. It seems I have to go with a new sensor, but the dealer is asking for a lot of $...

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
So I have the exact problem on a Renegade 07, as described by @25TH INFANTRY . Loss of power, sputtering and random numbers on the dash. Cleaned the sensor couple of times, checked the grounds with no luck. It seems I have to go with a new sensor, but the dealer is asking for a lot of $...
MSRP on the sensor is $115, Rocky mountain atvs has it for $87 shipped. how much does your dealer want for it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
My dealer wants $170 but now I'm not sure that the speed sensor is the issue of the lack of power. The dealer mechanics told me that in G1, the speed sensor shouldn't have any impact on the engine performance. Yesterday I replaced the fuel filter, disconnected the speed sensor and the engine had full power. So I think the cause was probably the fuel filter, because the old one was the 07 factory one and I'm pretty sure the flow was way below 51psi after the filter :D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
My dealer wants $170 but now I'm not sure that the speed sensor is the issue of the lack of power. The dealer mechanics told me that in G1, the speed sensor shouldn't have any impact on the engine performance. Yesterday I replaced the fuel filter, disconnected the speed sensor and the engine had full power. So I think the cause was probably the fuel filter, because the old one was the 07 factory one and I'm pretty sure the flow was way below 51psi after the filter :D
I believe your dealer is wrong, when my speed sensor went bad my speedo console went out or showed incorrect information, the power steering went out, the machine lost engine power and sometimes died, this was a progressive issue that got worse over the corse of a 3 day ride, it started out at the end of the first day just showing the speed and RPMs on the dash being incorrect or showing zero, by the end of the third day the ps would intermittently work and the engine would bog and die. . I also think one of the ways to test it is to remove it from the gear box and the machine should drive normaly while unhooked.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You changed two things at once. How can you be sure which fixed it?

#1 rule. One change at a time.
Right now, while the sensor is out, the machine is running great. I am mostly glad that I have full power back and no check engine light, even if the vss is out.
I will put the connector back in and see if I will experience the lack of power and sputtering, now that the fuel filter is new.

I believe your dealer is wrong...
What year is yours? Mine is 2008 and the mechanics told me that later models might experience the issues of bad speed sensor, because the power steering get signal from it and the ECM starts to misread the input data and get fuel trims wrong. I don't have power steering.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts