Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 outty 1000 with snorkels (1.5" under pod 2" above) slip on exhaust, and stock air filter. Can I run this without a programmer?

I have read many many many post and discussions about this, and not found an exact answer. I know it will not run 100% power, and I know I won't be getting the added power of the exhaust (not that a slip on adds a lot) but I just want it for the sound. I know that each motor is different, and that it's not the same through the rpm range. I know the 09' and up models run lean factory. And I know I'm giving it more volume of air and cooler air... But each one of the post I have read basically turn into an argument about how "yes you can" or "no you can't" or "well yes you can, but not really but sometimes". So I'd like to avoid that this time. I'm not trying to duplicate other post about this, I just want an honest answer. Most of my riding consist of slow speeds with15-25 mph trail speeds between mud holes.

Has anyone run this set up successfully for a long period of time? I'd like to hear how it's worked out.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
The snorkels alone probably restrict the airflow enough to make up for what the exhaust gains. You just can't add restrictive plumbing and not expect less airflow.

·
Registered
827 Posts
This is a personal experience and not a "always/never" rule. My 2011 800r ran a little spotty with a slipon and no tuner. Ran well at idle (would even idle under water for short periods of time) and also at WFO. Mid-range (3500-4500rpm) cruising would give me some hiccups and it would spit on deceleration. Added a simple PCFC tuner for $225 and easily got all of it smoothed out. I also noticed an additional 150-200rpm gain on my shift out indicating more power being put to the ground.

Every bike is different, though. Some bikes absolutely need a tuner and some don't at all. Its up to you being able to recognize "distress signals" from your bike and adjusting to that accordingly. Try it out without a tuner and if you notice that it acts a bit wonky or you feel a few extra ponies would be nice then add a tuner. Don't expect screaming performance gains at the seat of your pants from doing so, though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts