Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I've seen tons of people abusing the crap out of their outlanders, commanders, ect. I'm looking for a 500 outlander and was wondering what type of maintenance do you guys do to keep your bikes running well after so much abuse in mud and water?

Here is a link, its a perfect example to the abuse im talking about:

I'm just wondering if everyone just goes for a drive through a pond almost drowning the bike like its no big problem. Is it just good mechanics keeping the bikes alive from extreme abuse or am i exaggerating? Check out this guys channel and you'll see some crazy stuff.

·
Registered
200 Posts
May as well start the argument lol I love my can am but am not sure it's gonna hold up like a honda simply because of the power and performance. Ostacruiser and those guys seem to be the "test crew" for can am. There bikes break just like the rest but as far as maintenance I'd say wash it good after riding, change fluids regularly and keep her greased and she'll last as long as you can keep your thumb out of her and that is hard to do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
686 Posts
No machine will withstand that kind of abuse for long. They all break regardless of the name on the side of the tank. My guess is the fellas in that video spend a good portion of their paychecks buying parts for their quads.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I'll list my normal routine after a good mud/water ride.
1. Pressure wash the heavy mud off.
2. Remove all the easy to remove plastics.
3. Spend the next 3 hours pressure washing, looking and pressure washing some more.
4. After she's dried overight I drop ALL the fluids. Diffs, tranny and motor.
5. Look the entire machine over top to bottom. Poke prod and jiggle everything.
6. Full service with new filter, fluids and grease all joints and pivots.
7. Soak it down with XC-1 and hook it up to the battery tender.

Things are going to break riding like Osta and Blackie. I've rebuilt axles, rear diff, had bushings blow out, blew one motor, broke a tranny ect. but proper and preventative maintenance is key! Probably left a few things out but you get the jist.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I do alot of riding in conditions like this except for the chin deep water. I can tell you that all brands break down. The bigger the tires and lift the more axles you pop. Rad fins get ruined by sticks and mud, bearings go a couple times a year and you will find yourself replacing break pads regularly. I don't think Honda is built better then Can am, Honda doesn't have the suspension travel of the Can am to deal with and it sure doesn't have the power of the Rotex to deal with. Trust me that my Rubicon was towed home more then a couple of time dead in action. I don't like to spread this around but I was once even towed home by a popo :sad:. :smilietwocents:

·
Registered
713 Posts
I don't see any abuse in the video, except maybe floating it in deep water. If you run into an unexpected situation are you just going to shut your bike off and try to winch it out or are you going to give some gas and try to churn your way out?

I don't think I would just shut 'er down and have someone pull me out.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Join the group canam monsters on fb and enjoy all the carnage pictures... Lol. I honestly would never mud like that. Too slow and just not enjoyable for me. I'd rather go bombing through fast trails. I used to be big into mudding, now I'm more of a puddle skipper. After having to call a trip short because of my excessive mudding I called it quits. Having to limp a bike 30 mile back to the trailhead when you're 4 hrs from home isn't fun.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
At least CanAm adds grease nipples to the bushing joints. Big thing I was told when I started getting serious about switching from Honda to CanAm was to grease the nipples every few hundred Kms, more often if you are mudding. So I grease her up at least every other ride. I typically ride 100-150 kms per outing. I have the shop manual and follow it for all other maintenance. I do it myself so I know it's done. 4100 kms problem free

·
Registered
666 Posts
That is good practice. I don't mud or anything, but every other or 3rd ride I go over each grease nipple with a pump or 2 of grease. When these bushings go out, garage products bushing will be replacing

·
Registered
296 Posts
Best thing you can do i wash it really good after the ride! I wash mine after every ride dosent matter if it was a dusty trail ride or mud over the seat( yes i have lol) i change diff and gear case oil every 2 months and engine oil every other ride! Keep oil filter clean, keep it lubed up and it will run fine! The bike will take care of you the same way you take care of it! And this goes for any brand!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow lots of reply's. thanks for all the answer's in such a short time. I've decided that after every ride im going to do a real good wash and inspection. And about every 2 months ill replace fluids and such. I don't have many places to mud but i might have more soon so ill see how dirty the bike gets.

·
Registered
827 Posts
We don't have the WOT situations that they do in canada here but the nasty slop we ride in takes it's toll on any machine. I've seen every bike break at some point in time. It's all about maintenance. Some machines, the higher performance like canam, require more than the low performance Hondas but that doesn't mean that the Hondas are indestructible like many people like to claim.

I do the same as others have said. Wash very well after every ride along with grease after every ride. Fluids get changed far before they should. Oil filter changed every other oil change or every third, depending on what the oil looks like.

·
Registered
578 Posts
There's nothing made that will withstand that kind if abuse. Guys that ride like that are constantly wrenching on their bikes. I cringe whenever I see his videos. Part for the trails they're on and part for the poor atv.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
My altitude when looking for a used bike no mater what the brand if I see over sized tires, relocated rad or snorkels; TURN AND RUN.

PS, the same goes for high performance extras.

The first thing I look at is the appearance of the bike. Second is pull the dip stick and see if he changed the oil. If he changed the oil I will begin to trust that he did do some maintaince.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Things like that aren't a turn off for me. The way I see it is the guy before me couldn't have put it through worse than I will. My major concern is whether or not it was taken care of like I will if it is my bike.

·
Registered
578 Posts
It's definatley a turn off for me when I see a atv for sale like that. Good friend of mine just did it to his and he doesn't even go mudding. Told him he'll have to sell it cheap to me now.lol.. Not every quad with mud tires has been beat to death but certainly a good portion of them have seen some hard miles at some point and time.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Of course you have to buy with sense. Very good looking over of the bike, long test ride and of course the pop quiz on maintenance. Lol.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Wow, you guys must spend a ton of money on fluids lol. I ride mud every time I go out, at end of ride I go to the creek down the road and we play in that, not only does it get the machine almost spotless, we have a ball doing it. So every ride I'm deep in mud, and above the seat in water at end of day. I change the oil every 8 months or so, I always check it, there's never any water in it, and it's always clean. I change the diffs and trans once a year as well, I use amsoil, and the oil is never really that dirty, and isn't milky either. I do grease every couple rides though.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Engine oil every 50 hours or if I see something that is suspicious. Diff fluid every 3 rides or so just to be safe. Tranny with diffs.

·
Registered
997 Posts
LOL, one thing for sure ... I never get tired of watching those crazy Sask. maniacs tearin' up the muskeg. Always WOT ... not much carbon build up in those Rotax power-plants, heh heh

1 - 20 of 31 Posts